Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by deant
Not a joke at all. The email I received actually offered me the opportunity to buy 1,000 boxes of each President.
They must have different offers for different people. My offer allowed me to order unlimited coins for the life of the program, but I chose not to take advantage of it because they charged a one-time $3.95 fee. No way I'm paying that kind of extortion.

Mike
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by deant
Not a joke at all. The email I received actually offered me the opportunity to buy 1,000 boxes of each President.
Pls share the URL or pm a copy of the email to me.

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:44 pm

Just got the confirmation order for 1,000 NA boxes. $250,000 will be shipped to my house after backordered. I almost didn't have enough credit card purchasing power.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
Originally Posted by slickwalletalk
Just got the confirmation order for 1,000 NA boxes. $250,000 will be shipped to my house after backordered. I almost didn't have enough credit card purchasing power.

Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Mr Pickles will be needing a forklift!
I use a pallet jack instead.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeef
They must have different offers for different people. My offer allowed me to order unlimited coins for the life of the program, but I chose not to take advantage of it because they charged a one-time $3.95 fee. No way I'm paying that kind of extortion.

Mike

LOL, I think they do hit you with slighly different offers.

Last edited by amenderamo; Apr 6, 2010 at 5:34 pm
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:37 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Euroflyer
If only the Mint would sell more presidents under the Direct Ship program!
Tell me about it. I'd love to have a William Henry Harrison, Millard Fillmore, and James Buchanan (only President from Pennsylvania).
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
UPS ... and the delivery !

Originally Posted by slickwalletalk
Forgive me if I missed the subject and it was covered in prior posts ... but how do you deal with your UPS delivery guy/lady ? ...

Mine complained already that box - containing only 6 # - was sooo heavy, tho she looked like a tough cookie ...
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:20 am

nevermind
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Danbury Mint Commercial -- Says Presidential $1 coins are worth up to $6ea!

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Has anyone seen the late night TV informercial ad selling uncirculated one-dollar Presidential coins? I believe they will give you 12 coins in a clear plastic display roll for only $34.95.

But Wait, There's More:
They will include a bonus coin, AND a hand crafted wooden box to display them. Wow, that's 13 coins in all.
I just saw the infomercial (also ref. www.dollarrolls.com) --- incredibly misleading for them to say that presidential dollar coins are hard to get, and that banks have waiting lists of customers who want them.

They claim that some of the dollar coins are worth $6ea. in uncirculated condition. I wonder if they would like to buy mine from me?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 2:58 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by buschoi
What is the purpose of discussing about how much you are about to deposit at the branch tomorrow, rather than discussing about ways to put them into circulation, which is what the US Mint has stated what they intend?
Who the heck cares what The Mint wants. We are not their employees nor are we their children. I will be surprised if this program really does anything to get these coins to catch on anyway. Just like Suzy B and Sacagawea--and let's not forget the IKE dollar that made all that racket pouring out of slot machines. The program will be about as successful as getting Americans to embrace the metric system. If you want to make the country go metric you say "on Jan 1st the country goes metric. No more products will be made with non-metric measurements and the process of changing out all the road signs will begin." If you want the country to use $1 coins you announce that "As of Jan 1 the Bureau of Engraving and Printing will no longer print $1 bills. Once the ones in circulation are worn out, that's all there is." None of this wishy-washy BS. Just get it done. In the meantime, I say grab all the coins you can and you can take that to the bank :-]
Old Apr 2, 2010, 3:19 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by pushback
Who the heck cares what The Mint wants. We are not their employees nor are we their children. I will be surprised if this program really does anything to get these coins to catch on anyway. Just like Suzy B and Sacagawea--and let's not forget the IKE dollar that made all that racket pouring out of slot machines. The program will be about as successful as getting Americans to embrace the metric system. If you want to make the country go metric you say "on Jan 1st the country goes metric. No more products will be made with non-metric measurements and the process of changing out all the road signs will begin." If you want the country to use $1 coins you announce that "As of Jan 1 the Bureau of Engraving and Printing will no longer print $1 bills. Once the ones in circulation are worn out, that's all there is." None of this wishy-washy BS. Just get it done. In the meantime, I say grab all the coins you can and you can take that to the bank :-]
Let's be careful not to give the Mint a bad reputation here. I think they are our friends. I have been quite pleased this year how they have ignored quantity limits during periods of time following large production runs and how they are still very nice about suggesting that we re-order when they do cancel an order and how they tolerate multiple accounts.

If one researches the issue from old articles on the internet, he/she will find that the Mint was at first very supportive of us buying lots of coins with a credit card and they didn't care what the purchasers did with the coins. All of their objectives were met upon selling the dollars to us. All of our objectives were met as a result of depositing the coins following the purchase.

Then people with Agendas came along. We obtain lots of points/miles/and even status with this technique that is not available to frequent travellers / stayers who are unable or unwilling to participate, and they would love to see this come to an end. The Mint received criticism from do-gooders who felt that the excellent technique used by The Mint to improve its operating statistics did not benefit the government from an overall perspective.

So The Mint put out some comfort language and we take The Pledge when we order. Sure most of the coins we buy are still directly deposited by us, but the coins would be deposited in the bank a few hours after we spent them if we did not deposit them ourselves. The Mint is our friend and has people very skilled in handling political minefields, in my opinion.

Last edited by Andy2; Apr 2, 2010 at 3:29 pm
Old Apr 2, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

You don't even have to look to articles -- look to the Mint's own annual report on the website. In FY 2009, the direct ship program accounts for about 18 percent of all $1 coins. And the profit on the coins is $0.70 per dollar.

Pure profit for the American taxpayer.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pushback
I care, and ALL of those who want to do it as long as possible care I bet. Look at my comments again. I focused on the purpose of discussing (or bragging) of the order amount, rather than HOW they really use the coins. I really do NOT care how the coins are used - bring them to Las Vegas, South America, donate them, etc... and whatever.

Although the Mint has imposed the household limit, there are still a LOT of workaround I bet many people are not posting here. Some are bragging about receiving boxes of them every week, so you would know for sure the workarounds are there and they WORK. I don't care about that part either, as long as we do NOT give the Mint a bad publicity, and they will be secretly behind our efforts and reward us. They NEED to satisfy the mandated production of the coins, so they WILL leave loopholes for us to get through and help them circulate the coins. They just can NOT live with the constant negative feedbacks, another drumdrum, or so. What they need is friends, so do we need the Mint, and our bankers, who will be happily assisting us on our next bank visit. opps....

um... I think I am saying too much again.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
You are correct

Originally Posted by buschoi
I care, and ALL of those who want to do it as long as possible care I bet. Look at my comments again. I focused on the purpose of discussing (or bragging) of the order amount, rather than HOW they really use the coins. I really do NOT care how the coins are used - bring them to Las Vegas, South America, donate them, etc... and whatever.

Although the Mint has imposed the household limit, there are still a LOT of workaround I bet many people are not posting here. Some are bragging about receiving boxes of them every week, so you would know for sure the workarounds are there and they WORK. I don't care about that part either, as long as we do NOT give the Mint a bad publicity, and they will be secretly behind our efforts and reward us. They NEED to satisfy the mandated production of the coins, so they WILL leave loopholes for us to get through and help them circulate the coins. They just can NOT live with the constant negative feedbacks, another drumdrum, or so. What they need is friends, so do we need the Mint, and our bankers, who will be happily assisting us on our next bank visit. opps....

um... I think I am saying too much again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.