Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Mar 28, 10, 7:24 pm
  #8341  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,562
Originally Posted by michaelm69 View Post
So by extension...if you, and other coins holders are paying for a good or service with the same local business owner with said coins on a regular basis and then this vendor takes a large portion of those coins you and others paid him with to the bank for deposit in their business account they should be reported?!

Seems wildly unfair and ultimately will end up having the opposite effect on you...since you will see most vendors will stop accepting these coins because they fear they will be reported to the Fed.
Don't waste your time on these people. He basically posted that he wishes the government would waste even more money on this beyond what the mint already does to ship these out to us and pay for credit card fees. I have a hard time buying that this person has distributed all the coins he has gotten from the mint. There is a household limit, so most people either order a bunch at once or spread it out over time. Either way most of these coins do not stay in circulation. Don't feed the trolls as they say.
Astrophsx is offline  
Old Mar 28, 10, 10:45 pm
  #8342  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: starwood and american airlines
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
Has anyone in NJ paid their real estate taxes with coins?

Town at one time took cc but now charges a pretty hefty fee. Being NJ, not using card for points means losing quite a few. If I could get points for coins, then pay taxes - a way to get points for taxes
I was wondering if anyone has paid property taxes in chicago using coins? The website i consulted said that property taxes could be paid in person in cash or at a local CHASE branch. Has anyone paid using coins?
mahoney100 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 10, 1:18 am
  #8343  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: GUM
Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG
Posts: 222
Does the mint ship to a military address?
gree0411 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 10, 2:34 pm
  #8344  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Land of the parrots and parrotheads
Programs: Several dozen
Posts: 4,818
Coin Distribution Paradise

Stuck with a few coins that the mint does not want you depositing at the bank?

Cart those offending coins to Ecuador where they are heavily used. In fact no problemo distributing coins over most of Central and South America whether for airport taxes, meals, transportation or the like. Most of the existing dollar coins from the earlier Native American series I see down there are extremely worn from usage.

Question: Would the mint consider recapitalizing South America as a valid reason to lift its lifetime NA dollar coin limits?
AlohaDaveKennedy is offline  
Old Mar 29, 10, 4:25 pm
  #8345  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Posts: 2,852
Am I just being too wimpy?

Reading this thread I have to wonder if I'm not being aggressive enough. I've been somewhat conservative in hopes of remaining at least partially under the radar but it sounds like the heavy activity is going to blow the lid off this thing sooner rather than later.

Is it time to go all out before its done?

Just to give you an idea of what I mean:
1. I limit myself to 1 $500 order per month.
2. I string out the deposits among 4 branches of my bank that are on my normal commute/errand routes - usually no more than $100 at a time.
3. My Bank has a coin machine at every branch that does count these coins. So the teller never touches the coins and I'm sure they wouldn't want to say 'no' because they'd have to go get the things out of the machine.
4. I tried spreading it out a bit more - using coinstar to get a Lowe's gift code (no fee) but the cashiers have a real issue with a paper slip for a gift card so I stopped that one. (although the December extra $10 rebate was nice).
pmaddock is offline  
Old Mar 29, 10, 4:59 pm
  #8346  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,456
Originally Posted by pmaddock View Post
Just to give you an idea of what I mean:
1. I limit myself to 1 $500 order per month.
2. I string out the deposits among 4 branches of my bank that are on my normal commute/errand routes - usually no more than $100 at a time.
Are you serious?

For the time and effort involved, a measly $500 purchase?
Happy is offline  
Old Mar 29, 10, 5:32 pm
  #8347  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by pmaddock View Post
Reading this thread I have to wonder if I'm not being aggressive enough. I've been somewhat conservative in hopes of remaining at least partially under the radar but it sounds like the heavy activity is going to blow the lid off this thing sooner rather than later.

Is it time to go all out before its done?

Just to give you an idea of what I mean:
1. I limit myself to 1 $500 order per month.
2. I string out the deposits among 4 branches of my bank that are on my normal commute/errand routes - usually no more than $100 at a time.
3. My Bank has a coin machine at every branch that does count these coins. So the teller never touches the coins and I'm sure they wouldn't want to say 'no' because they'd have to go get the things out of the machine.
4. I tried spreading it out a bit more - using coinstar to get a Lowe's gift code (no fee) but the cashiers have a real issue with a paper slip for a gift card so I stopped that one. (although the December extra $10 rebate was nice).
Despite the heckler(s) that will post here, I don't see what you're doing is a bad thing. Continue to do what you feel comfortable with, despite the eggers-on that you'll get from this thread. Sheesh with the "advice" on this thread.

Last edited by Kohoutek; Mar 29, 10 at 5:43 pm
Kohoutek is offline  
Old Mar 29, 10, 5:47 pm
  #8348  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Programs: HI Platinum
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by Kohoutek View Post
Despite the heckler(s) that will post here, I don't see what you're doing is a bad thing. Continue to do what you feel comfortable with, despite the eggers-on that you'll get from this thread. Sheesh with the "advice" on this thread.
I'm using a coin deposit machine as well - I mix in a few nickles, dimes, and quarters. Take it to the teller for deposit no problem.

Granted I haven't done this post Mint moratorium.
cardigans1 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 10, 6:37 pm
  #8349  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,562
Originally Posted by cardigans1 View Post
I'm using a coin deposit machine as well - I mix in a few nickles, dimes, and quarters. Take it to the teller for deposit no problem.

Granted I haven't done this post Mint moratorium.
I think what you are doing is fine. There are still caps on the total amount you can order, so eventually you will hit what everyone else has been receiving. You could probably bring in two boxes per trip and order more frequently, or actually use them and distribute them. Maybe at the carwash and such.
Astrophsx is offline  
Old Mar 29, 10, 8:53 pm
  #8350  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Here Today Gone Tomorrow
Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
Posts: 791
I don't answer the doorbell for less then $5000
nwa330 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 10, 10:40 pm
  #8351  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Posts: 2,852
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Are you serious?

For the time and effort involved, a measly $500 purchase?
Well let me put it into context - I'm not making any special trips for this. Its more like I get the $500 and then drop by the bank at the grocery store or when I'm going to the bank for some other reason. (I'm big on actually filing those rebates, etc.) When you only get $500 a month its pretty easy to empty in out in a few chunks over the next month. Additionally its not just the 500 miles - it the cumulative spend I'm after since it will get me to the next MQM threshold with far less net spend than one of those mileage runs or alike.
pmaddock is offline  
Old Mar 29, 10, 11:16 pm
  #8352  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,927
Ordered 3/24/10 another $500 of JA's
Shipped 3/27/10
Arrived 3/29/10

Under a week... not bad

And yes... I do smaller batches
beckoa is offline  
Old Mar 30, 10, 3:35 am
  #8353  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18
May be an opportunity to finally get rid of coins at the casino. Eastside Cannery in Las Vegas just opened a "classic slot" room dealing only in coins. This means change attendant and buckets to take to cashier. Might get a way with unloading some coins here.
Pokerface is offline  
Old Mar 30, 10, 8:42 am
  #8354  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Greater DC
Programs: UA plus
Posts: 12,940
Originally Posted by Pokerface View Post
May be an opportunity to finally get rid of coins at the casino. Eastside Cannery in Las Vegas just opened a "classic slot" room dealing only in coins. This means change attendant and buckets to take to cashier. Might get a way with unloading some coins here.
If it's truly classic, it won't take the gold dollar coins, only the old silver dollar ones.
GoingAway is offline  
Old Mar 30, 10, 11:33 am
  #8355  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Posts: 2,557
Originally Posted by Pokerface View Post
May be an opportunity to finally get rid of coins at the casino. Eastside Cannery in Las Vegas just opened a "classic slot" room dealing only in coins. This means change attendant and buckets to take to cashier. Might get a way with unloading some coins here.
So you could drop a dollar in the slot and, win or lose, drop the other 4,999 dollars in the bucket and cash out with bills? I wonder what that would do to the casino's accounting at the end of the day.
Helena Handbaskets is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: