Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Mar 24, 10, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Received first 500 coins

Placed my first order(NA, 500 coins) on Friday 03/19/2010. Shipped Tuesday 03/23, Received 03/24/2010. Pretty cool! Now comes the next challenge - distributing them! Will start with local grocery store which takes only cash or check. Hopefully, I can talk talk the cashier into trading 2-3 rolls for $ bills
Old Mar 24, 10, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway View Post
Spending at COSTCO makes no sense ... that is a credit card and mile/point earning transaction in and of itself.
Maybe they don't have an Amex? It's a way to effectively pay for Costco with Visa/MC/D.
Old Mar 25, 10, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Spending at COSTCO makes no sense ... that is a credit card and mile/point earning transaction in and of itself.
Maybe they don't have an Amex? It's a way to effectively pay for Costco with Visa/MC/D.
Bingo. I don't have an amex... (sure I could get one from Costco for free.... but that's only 1% cash back) - so I do go thru my fair share of coins (rolled & unrolled) there. Have I got a few weird looks- yes... especially in Hawaii. But they have all accepted them.

Found a new use today- exchanged several rolls with another FT'er for several bottles of wine (I think they then took the coins promptly to the bank )
Old Mar 25, 10, 2:57 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
The correct way would be to buy a Costco gift card online with your mc or visa to get the earning on the card that you use and not to spend or haul the coins to Costco.

Until April 15 coins should go hush-hush grocery store for $330 gift card selling for only $300.00.

Last edited by mrpickles; Mar 25, 10 at 3:03 am
Old Mar 25, 10, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
My coins, which the mint site says are still in process, arrived today.
Has your credit card been billed yet?
Old Mar 25, 10, 10:56 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Not on my credit card. As I understand it, other than AMEX, they don't take credit cards.
Old Mar 25, 10, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by mrpickles View Post

Until April 15 coins should go hush-hush grocery store for $330 gift card selling for only $300.00.
Which hush-hush grocery store chain is offering that?

Kroger/Fred Myer offered this great deal last year - we stocked up on over a grand in store card purchases!
Old Mar 25, 10, 2:19 pm

Costco Amex

I have a Costco Amex. It is 3% on resturants & gas, 2% on travel, and the rest 1%. I use it for mostly 3% buys, and of course Costco. The payout is 1 time yearly. A coupon which you must cash, but don't need to spend at a Costco.

I associate the same card with AADvantage and Open Table, so on some beaneries I triple-dip. PNC gives no trouble about depositing coins.
Old Mar 25, 10, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
US Bank , Flex Perks test.

I thought I'd take one for the team. I placed a small, $500 coin order , with my FlexPerks card. No points for the MINT order. Listed as purchase , so no inflated interest rate , for cash advance.
It was worth a try. Thought it might slip past them.

I did notice I get double points on Grocery and Gas Station.
Old Mar 25, 10, 4:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
I thought I'd take one for the team. I placed a small, $500 coin order , with my FlexPerks card. No points for the MINT order. Listed as purchase , so no inflated interest rate , for cash advance.
It was worth a try. Thought it might slip past them.

I did notice I get double points on Grocery and Gas Station.
The Flexperks card was reported a while ago as not giving out points. It started in around last December, so it is possible you did not notice it.
Old Mar 25, 10, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
Has your credit card been billed yet?
Nope, but they sometimes take a few days.

I used a Citicard, so hopefully I'll get points.

Mike
Old Mar 25, 10, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by buschoi View Post
The Flexperks card was reported a while ago as not giving out points. It started in around last December, so it is possible you did not notice it.
I noticed it. But as I said, I thought I'd take one for the team. What was true in December , is not always true in March.
Old Mar 25, 10, 8:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
I noticed it. But as I said, I thought I'd take one for the team. What was true in December , is not always true in March.
I would say going backward to award points again is extremely rare. They mush have a reason to stop awarding points in December.

Of course it never hurts to try except for the extra work with the $500 coins, which are not a lot.
Old Mar 26, 10, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by buschoi View Post
I would say going backward to award points again is extremely rare. They mush have a reason to stop awarding points in December.

Of course it never hurts to try except for the extra work with the $500 coins, which are not a lot.
It certainly hurts the cause. USBank is collecting their merchant fee and not passing on any points. Nobody should be supporting that.
Old Mar 26, 10, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
As a point of reference, has anyone taken coins into a Citibank to pay off a Citicard? How was your experience?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: