Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Mar 22, 10, 7:41 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
Yesterday, I ordered my first 500 coins. I know I am late into the game but want to get whatever I can get before it is too late. Couple of questions -
1. When I placed the order for Native American N04 coins, it mentioned they are backordered. How long does it take usually for them to be available?
2. I have read conflicting statements at various places about the limit of maximum coins that can be ordered per household - 50 boxes, 20 boxes and 2 boxes per type of coins? Which one is correct? Is there a limit on Native American coins?
Thanx^
The answers to this are on the Mint WEB site.
Old Mar 22, 10, 9:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Was at a festival over the weekend and brought a roll to spend. Many cashiers loved seeing the coins, and even fought with one another as to who got to keep them. Would have loved to have said "I have a few thousand more if you'd like to trade for bills?"
Old Mar 22, 10, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Amscot?

Has anyone ever tried taking these to Amscot to get a money order? Supposedly they have free money orders there. Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?
Old Mar 22, 10, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, HGP/HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Concierge, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Miami305 View Post
Was at a festival over the weekend and brought a roll to spend. Many cashiers loved seeing the coins, and even fought with one another as to who got to keep them. Would have loved to have said "I have a few thousand more if you'd like to trade for bills?"
I was at SXSW this last week and given the crazy amount of drinking and bar-hopping that involves, I managed to drop a huge chunk of the coins, generally on tips. I noticed several times that bar tenders would put away the coins for themselves and put bills in the shared tip jar instead. One guy grinned and bit on it like it was a gold doubloon.

Now I don't feel bad at all about lugging the next $2.5k box to the bank unopened.
Old Mar 22, 10, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, HGP/HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Concierge, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Depends on the banks. Some do some dont.

Paying cash at the bank for CC bills can take 3 or more business days for the payment to be posted to your CC account.
My local Chase branches (I've tried several) have no problem taking the coins to pay down my CC (and none of that silly unwrapping business). Tends to post the same day, next day at the latest.
Old Mar 22, 10, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)
Anyone have any luck ordering more than 50 boxes of the NAs?
Old Mar 22, 10, 12:57 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by mmargel View Post
No, it's not possible, move on.
Old Mar 22, 10, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by JB5150 View Post
Has anyone ever tried taking these to Amscot to get a money order? Supposedly they have free money orders there. Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?
Why get a MO when you can take it directly to a bank and deposit it into your account?
Old Mar 22, 10, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Well, I don't really care if the Amscot employees look at me sideways, but I'd rather not attract too much attention at my bank.
Old Mar 22, 10, 3:41 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Has anyone tried using the "Penny Arcade" at TD Bank to deposit their coins? I know that it's free for both customers and non-customers, and you just get a receipt and bring to the teller where they give you cash, but I'm not sure if there's a limit.
Old Mar 22, 10, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dinosims View Post
Has anyone tried using the "Penny Arcade" at TD Bank to deposit their coins? I know that it's free for both customers and non-customers, and you just get a receipt and bring to the teller where they give you cash, but I'm not sure if there's a limit.
Cha ching
Old Mar 22, 10, 4:45 pm

Just for a data point, used a bunch of coins Saturday night at Bally's in Atlantic City. Took them to the cashier and exchanged for bills with minimal effort.
Old Mar 22, 10, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by dweick View Post
No, it's not possible, move on.
Oh it is certainly possible. You should read the thread a bit better, there are a few people out there who received over 50 boxes of NAs in 2010 (present company included).
Old Mar 22, 10, 7:05 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
Originally Posted by mmargel View Post

sorry your out of luck.
Old Mar 22, 10, 7:14 pm

Programs: SWA, IHG, SPG
There is a Facebook Group for the US Mint Coins ... finally, a place to show my love of the US Mint.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: