Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Mar 19, 10, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miami305 View Post
For paying a debt (CC), has anyone taken the coins to the issuing bank of their CC to pay it off directly?
Depends on the banks. Some do some dont.

Paying cash at the bank for CC bills can take 3 or more business days for the payment to be posted to your CC account.
Old Mar 19, 10, 10:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Miami305 View Post
For paying a debt (CC), has anyone taken the coins to the issuing bank of their CC to pay it off directly?
I did, but only for one card - US Bank Flexperks, which no longer offers points for the coin purchase.
Old Mar 19, 10, 11:44 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
just strapped 10k to the dolly. Tomorrow should be a fun day.
Old Mar 20, 10, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by nwa330 View Post
Are they just throwing the rolls into bags of $2k? Was curious if you just drop them off or do you stick around while they deal with the boxes?
Old Mar 20, 10, 2:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
Ship To: *************
Date Shipped: 3/19/10
Amount Charged : 12000.00

Items included in this shipment:
2010 NATIVE AMERICAN $250 BOX $1 COINS (N04) Qty : 48

Car wash distribution program at my two Southern California locations continues to go pretty well, with rejection rates by customers remaining in the 30% to 40% range. Have not yet expanded to the Bay Area car washes because of the difficulty in getting the coins up there (I dont ship them direct to location).

Based on the last 2 months, I can move about $10k in coins every 4 weeks or so!
Nice

Perhaps a reason to take a flight and carry on the coinage - Yes the TSA will love you ... I think the most I've taken thru is $500, and finally learned take rolls out and put in its own bin (sometimes it still gets secondary) But glad you are able to make this work for your customers ^
Old Mar 20, 10, 2:40 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by nwa330 View Post
Don't be suprised if the banks refuse coin deposits on Saturdays as most vault managers do not work on Saturdays and tellers carts can not lock up that volume of coins.
Old Mar 20, 10, 9:01 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
Originally Posted by mrpickles View Post
Don't be suprised if the banks refuse coin deposits on Saturdays as most vault managers do not work on Saturdays and tellers carts can not lock up that volume of coins.
I have had that issue at some branches. The grocery store branch will typically allow about 1500. anything over that they will complain. BOA seems to be the best lately. I lucked out today because the head teller wasn't working, she seems to be getting irritated with me.
Old Mar 20, 10, 9:19 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
And this is putting the coins into circulation how?
What do you suggest he do instead? Hunt down people or companies that have no banking relationship and put their cash in jars and mattresses instead? That's what businesses do--they put the money in the bank, unless, of course, they have employees they are paying under the counter.

Besides, as far as I'm concerned I'm not here to help facilitate the mint's mandate. If they want me to circulate their coins they can pay me for it--in the meantime I'll order them, deposit them, and eliminate the middle-man.
Old Mar 21, 10, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Originally Posted by pushback View Post
Besides, as far as I'm concerned I'm not here to help facilitate the mint's mandate. If they want me to circulate their coins they can pay me for it
They do, via your credit card company. Or are you buying the coins for cash?
Old Mar 21, 10, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Ordered my first 500 coins!

Yesterday, I ordered my first 500 coins. I know I am late into the game but want to get whatever I can get before it is too late. Couple of questions -
1. When I placed the order for Native American N04 coins, it mentioned they are backordered. How long does it take usually for them to be available?
2. I have read conflicting statements at various places about the limit of maximum coins that can be ordered per household - 50 boxes, 20 boxes and 2 boxes per type of coins? Which one is correct? Is there a limit on Native American coins?
Thanx^
Old Mar 22, 10, 2:21 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
They do, via your credit card company. Or are you buying the coins for cash?
They pay me via my credit card company? How does that work?

Separate question--I too am late to the game and was going to place my first order. I thought the shipping was free on these but the site wants $4.95. Is that correct? Did something change?
Old Mar 22, 10, 5:56 am

Last edited by QL_714; Mar 22, 10 at 6:07 am
Old Mar 22, 10, 6:42 am

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
Originally Posted by blankeeta View Post
My local credit union has been very accomodating. They just count the rolls (and validate with another teller). They also offered me the option of using their coin counting machine (like coinstar) fee free.
Originally Posted by Euroflyer View Post
My credit union has a free counting machine, though only $100 at a time before a 5% fee kicks in. So, it's lots of $100 visits to the credit union to get the coins deposited.
My credit union also has one of these machines - not sure what the limit is. But $250 of $1 coins, mixed with all the spare pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters I have laying around the house, could probably be split into a few trips and fed to the machine without anyone particularly caring or noticing.

I don't, though, know whether they recirculate coins from the machine.
Old Mar 22, 10, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Originally Posted by pushback View Post
They pay me via my credit card company? How does that work?

Separate question--I too am late to the game and was going to place my first order. I thought the shipping was free on these but the site wants $4.95. Is that correct? Did something change?
Why are you doing this in the first place? Do you get rebates, airline miles, hotel points, or something similar for purchases with that credit card?

The shipping shows as $4.95 up until the end, when it turns free.
Old Mar 22, 10, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
1. When I placed the order for Native American N04 coins, it mentioned they are backordered. How long does it take usually for them to be available?
2. I have read conflicting statements at various places about the limit of maximum coins that can be ordered per household - 50 boxes, 20 boxes and 2 boxes per type of coins? Which one is correct? Is there a limit on Native American coins?
Back orders clear in random amounts of time, from days to weeks (sometimes months).

The limit for most coins is 2 boxes per household. For the 2010 NA coins, it was originally 20, then raised to 50.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: