Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Sep 25, 08, 8:47 am
  #811  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ATL, BHM, DUB, County Wexford
Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH & HY
Posts: 3,322
Why would anyone just deposit them? It is so easy to go around to various stores and say I would like to swap a roll for $25.00. Some stores ask for more rolls. I put them in my business in place of dollar bills. Use them for tips. Use them everywhere that does not accept credit cards. I went through a thousand dollars worth in less than three weeks.

Last edited by EasternTraveler; Apr 20, 09 at 8:58 am
EasternTraveler is offline  
Old Sep 25, 08, 9:25 am
  #812  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,039
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler View Post
Why would anyone just deposit them? It is so easy to go around to various stores and say I would like to swap a roll for $25.00. Some stores ask for more rolls. I put them in my business in place of dollar bills. Use them for tips. Use them everywhere that does not accept credit cards. I went through a thousand dollars worth in less than three weeks.
i think in order to make these more ciruclatedable, we all need to get them and use them as you do, but in my opinion, the main reason to get these and cash them is to churn for miles for free. (well, free is a word I use that counts for everything other than the 'admin' of physically getting and then physically cashing them out, which takes time, which is a cost of its own)

Many stores or businesses that DO NOT take CCs will be where I would do what you are doing above. BUT if a place takes a CC, then the whole point of going thru the pains to get these for big chunks of miles sort of defeats itself. ie, if I use cash for something I could have used a CC for, I then lose--or do not gain-miles I should have otherwise gotten.

Soooo, that's why we cash them out.
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Sep 25, 08, 9:36 am
  #813  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler View Post
Why would anyone just deposit them? It is so easy to go around to various stores and say I would like to swap a roll for $25.00. Some stores ask for more rolls. I put them in my business in place of dollar bills. Use them for tips. Use them everywhere that does not accept credit cards. I went through a thousand dollars worth in less than three weeks.
I have a spent a few hundred (mostly on little stuff). But I needed to make a deposit of these because I had several thousand and several thousand more on the way too me.

If I only had one or two thousand dollars in these things I would not have a problem, but when I have $8-10 I think I might need to deposit some. That is three months of total spending (which would be put on credit card), so it would take forever to spend all of them. And that is just the first few orders.
the_jeff is offline  
Old Sep 25, 08, 12:14 pm
  #814  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SFO/SEA
Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
Posts: 3,285
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
The official limit is two boxes per president per person, total. YMMV, as individuals have reported ways of skirting these rules. However, they are being at least selectively enforced, as cancellations have occurred.
Well lo and behold, I got a line item cancellation email this morning. I didn't realize that my trial-run order was John Adams and apparently I ordered him again last night. I guess they are seriously checking these orders
brosnan6 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 08, 12:48 pm
  #815  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Posts: 2,557
Originally Posted by the_jeff View Post
I have a spent a few hundred (mostly on little stuff). But I needed to make a deposit of these because I had several thousand and several thousand more on the way too me.

If I only had one or two thousand dollars in these things I would not have a problem, but when I have $8-10 I think I might need to deposit some. That is three months of total spending (which would be put on credit card), so it would take forever to spend all of them. And that is just the first few orders.
Would you care to enlighten us as to how you've managed $8-10,000 when the maximum available per billing address is $3,500 (so far)? Or have you only received $3,500 or less so far, and the rest of it is still subject to cancellation?
Helena Handbaskets is offline  
Old Sep 25, 08, 12:58 pm
  #816  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,039
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets View Post
Would you care to enlighten us as to how you've managed $8-10,000 when the maximum available per billing address is $3,500 (so far)? Or have you only received $3,500 or less so far, and the rest of it is still subject to cancellation?
probably multiple address/cards and all pouring into more than one airline or hotel account. If it is all pouring into a hotel account, that is, in affect, like pouring points earned into one account because often times couples travel together. So, for example, let's say my wife and I both have 6,000 points in our starwood accts. now, by buying coins, I earned say 3,500-4000 SPG points from buying coins with my starwood AMEX and my wife does "apt.1" on her coin orders to earn 3,500-4,000 spg points on her Amex. Then when we both do a stay together at a place that needs, say, 10k SPG points per nite, she could book one night and I could book the other.
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Sep 26, 08, 8:14 am
  #817  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Posts: 10,452
I am at $8K, all to the same P.O. Box, with six family members (including myself) using separate credit cards billed in their own names -- all Starwood AmEx additional cardholders. For some reason, one of my sisters-in-law can't manage to get a single order through. I'll let her order President Van Buren first this November.

Persistence pays.
SPN Lifer is offline  
Old Sep 26, 08, 10:23 am
  #818  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Posts: 3,699
Note for those who deposit them: Wells Fargo likes them just fine.

I took them in still in the original boxes, all rolled, and they were happy to deposit them to my checking account.
Wilbur is offline  
Old Sep 26, 08, 7:14 pm
  #819  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Posts: 2,018
I am having serious difficulty figuring out how they process these orders.

It seems 'half' my wifes order has been canceled with this 'line was canceled' message, of course the rest of the order is 'in stock and reserved', and the order itself is 'on hold'.

Product Name Quantity Price
(each) Total Item Status Cancel

JAMES MADISON $250 BOX $1 COINS 2 $250.00 $500.00 Line was cancelled.
THOMAS JEFFERSON $250 BOX $1 COINS 2 $250.00 $500.00 In stock and reserved
JOHN ADAMS $250 BOX $1 COINS 2 $250.00 $500.00 In stock and reserved
GEORGE WASHINGTON $250 BOX $1 COINS 2 $250.00 $500.00 Line was cancelled.


In our household I was the first to order to our address (in my name and with my card) and I was able to get all 7 different presidents no problem. My wife has so far only been able to get a UPS tracking number to the JQA's and Jackson's (so we assume we will now actually get them and thus that will be 4 of these presidents to this address)

So, is this 'line was cancelled' [sic] message an 'a more than 2 boxes to address violation' or is it that they ran out? If it's the later, why do they keep taking orders for the things?
thehawk75 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 08, 2:05 am
  #820  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,454
I received my 1st order of $1000 today and was able to track it all the way with UPS. I've ordered $3000 total, been charged for $500 and received $1000. The $500 I have been charged is not for either of the coins I just received. I guess a 'free' $1000 is better than a 'free' 1000 miles.

Of course I fully expect the charge to show up any time.
rc408 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 08, 8:04 am
  #821  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BOS, PVD
Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
Posts: 219
Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
So, is this 'line was cancelled' [sic] message an 'a more than 2 boxes to address violation' or is it that they ran out? If it's the later, why do they keep taking orders for the things?
I think it's a more than two boxes problem. Same thing happened on one of my orders. I ordered four presidents and they were delivered. I went back and ordered the same four presidents, and they canceled two and delivered two. Not sure why the Mint enforces their rules selectively within the same order.



Originally Posted by rc408 View Post
I received my 1st order of $1000 today and was able to track it all the way with UPS. I've ordered $3000 total, been charged for $500 and received $1000. The $500 I have been charged is not for either of the coins I just received. I guess a 'free' $1000 is better than a 'free' 1000 miles.

Of course I fully expect the charge to show up any time.
Yeah, I've been fortunate in that all my orders shipped via UPS and I've been able to track them easily. I'm so glad not to have had the tracking problems some people are reporting.

Careful about considering this "free money." The Mint could bill you any time. On my first order, the Mint charged me on the day the order shipped. On another order, I wasn't charged until the day after an order arrived at my home!
Dole is offline  
Old Sep 27, 08, 10:32 am
  #822  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an ORD approach path
Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Posts: 12,922
Originally Posted by Dole View Post
Careful about considering this "free money." The Mint could bill you any time. On my first order, the Mint charged me on the day the order shipped. On another order, I wasn't charged until the day after an order arrived at my home!
Same here- latest two orders, one billed the day both were delivered (early this week) the other hasn't billed yet.

Of course, maybe this is part of the congressional bailout program and they won't bill us.
Gargoyle is offline  
Old Sep 27, 08, 11:46 am
  #823  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Posts: 236
Just a quick set of questions. I ordered 250 about a week before Ike hit and they just shipped today but as I am still not back and won't be until the 4th should I worry about delivery time? How slow are they normally? And who do they ship through as USPS says they are still not delivering to my area and just holding onto items. Still not sure of FedEx or UPS though.


thanks
pattermj is offline  
Old Sep 27, 08, 11:48 am
  #824  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,454
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Same here- latest two orders, one billed the day both were delivered (early this week) the other hasn't billed yet.

Of course, maybe this is part of the congressional bailout program and they won't bill us.
I did hear this bailout would cost us each about $2500 so that my explain it.
rc408 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 08, 11:59 am
  #825  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an ORD approach path
Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Posts: 12,922
Originally Posted by pattermj View Post
Just a quick set of questions. I ordered 250 about a week before Ike hit
I've found that they're generally a day or two late in sending the "shipped" e-mails, so the packages have arrived the same day or one day after I receive those e-mails, so it could easily reach your place today or Monday.

The one USPS delivery I got started as DHL, who got it to my local PO for delivery to my site. USPS and UPS don't require signatures, Fedex does.

If it's USPS, call your local delivery station and ask how they are handling mail delivery to people who haven't yet been able to return.
Gargoyle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: