Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:35 am

Programs: AA, UA.
Looking to buy 2 roll - 2008 James Monroe

Hello,

I am looking to buy two roll (25) coin of 2008 James Monroe. I try the US Mint website, but it sold out.

Anyone recommend a good place to buy? Also wondering will the US Mint website has it items available later time?

Thanks!
Lee
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:13 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by beachmiles
AS far as I know , only Citi offers Virtual account numbers. AMEX, does not.

Citi, sign in to your account, select tools , select Virtual account number. If you have more than one account , select which account you are using.

Be sure to disable pop up blocker , before starting.

Originally Posted by xp0
Where do you get the virtual account numbers from, your CC? Can you get one for SPG cards?

Thx
No, I don't think any AMEX cards do virtual acc't nmbrs. (I think it has something to do with the fact that they're only 15 digits.)

For SPG, just add authorized users. I've done that and it works fine.
I do the VANs with FIA card serices cards -- Fidelity and Schwab cards that give a 1.5 or 2 pct rebate.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pawtim
[SIZE=1]For SPG, just add authorized users. I've done that and it works fine.
I do the VANs with FIA card serices cards -- Fidelity and Schwab cards that give a 1.5 or 2 pct rebate.
I thought about adding authorized users, but doesn't the Mint search the address for previous orders as well, which they can probably will find a lot? Same with virtual numbers which would have the same billing address as the main card?

I once entered creative billing address, but the Mint said they could not match the billing address with my card and canceled my order.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:59 pm

Circulating, Not

I often ask the cashier if they will be giving out the coins I just gave them as change. Without excepting, they all say they will not. I try, but no one wants 'em.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Comicwoman
I often ask the cashier if they will be giving out the coins I just gave them as change. Without excepting, they all say they will not. I try, but no one wants 'em.
I honestly think it is the design-flaw of The Mint to make the $ coin not welcome by anyone - the coin weigh too much, the coin looks too much like quarter.

Other countries who have $ coins all have a coin that does not weigh so heavy, and has distinctive design, like 2 tones in color or different shapes / sizes that no way anyone would confuse it with the less denomination.

The whole $ coin to replace $ bill program is a flop. The Mint gets stuck with those $ coins that are mandated by law to produce... hence there is the $1 circulating program - but as you said, it aint happening.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Comicwoman
I get this a lot, too. It's unfortunate. But maybe, over time?

I just unloaded 50 today at the farmers' market with various vendors. My guess is, those who got three or four will reuse them as change.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I honestly think it is the design-flaw of The Mint to make the $ coin not welcome by anyone - the coin weigh too much, the coin looks too much like quarter.

Other countries who have $ coins all have a coin that does not weigh so heavy, and has distinctive design, like 2 tones in color or different shapes / sizes that no way anyone would confuse it with the less denomination.

The whole $ coin to replace $ bill program is a flop. The Mint gets stuck with those $ coins that are mandated by law to produce... hence there is the $1 circulating program - but as you said, it aint happening.
I believe that the design was done the way it was done to appease the vending machine lobby...
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviators99
I believe that the design was done the way it was done to appease the vending machine lobby...
Yep--the Susan B. Anthony, Sacajewa dollars, and Presidential/Native American dollars all have the same composition/characteristics for vending/counting authentication.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Can I pay University Fee using coins?

I have been following this thread for a while but have not ordered any coins myself yet. Reason - I donot know how I will spend the coins. I am afraid it will become more of a headache to spread these coins. A question for gurus - I am studying part time in the evening classes. University charges 2.5% conv fee is I used CC to pay the tuition fee therefore I usually play through echeck. Will university accept the coins instead? Has anyone tried it before? I cannot stop smiling imagining the reaction of the cashier when I will show him the coins^
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delta2010
I have been following this thread for a while but have not ordered any coins myself yet. Reason - I donot know how I will spend the coins. I am afraid it will become more of a headache to spread these coins. A question for gurus - I am studying part time in the evening classes. University charges 2.5% conv fee is I used CC to pay the tuition fee therefore I usually play through echeck. Will university accept the coins instead? Has anyone tried it before? I cannot stop smiling imagining the reaction of the cashier when I will show him the coins^
What kind of number are you talking about? At $1000, I'll bet it's not a problem. At $15,000, you're going to have some major resistance.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Happy

The only way to make the transition is if they stop making the $ bills. Until they force the issue people will resist the change. Business will accept them but very few of them are interested in giving them out a change because many customers don't want them.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:08 am

Usually you have a deadline to pay the fees. Assuming the tuition you want to pay in coins is "nominal" (Are you really going to buy over 10k in coins?) - say $1k - $5k, you can go there multiple times to pay portions of it. I do not see a problem in them taking $500 in coins, and tell the cashier you have some more that you will come back with.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
I have already paid tuition for Spring. I will try paying through from Summer onwards. My tuition will range in <1k or $1.5 k.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
A question for gurus - I am studying part time in the evening classes. University charges 2.5% conv fee is I used CC to pay the tuition fee therefore I usually play through echeck. Will university accept the coins instead? Has anyone tried it before? I cannot stop smiling imagining the reaction of the cashier when I will show him the coins^
I don't want to sound nasty (I don't mean to) but how would anyone know here? Every school has their own payment policy and you didn't mention which school this was so no one can truely answer your question. You need to contact the school's Bursar/Cashier and ask them what their payment policy is. Some schools may not accept cash. Again, check with your school for clarification.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Hello everyone!
I've been on a coin sabbatical since January. Just returned from Thailand and Bali yesterday.... all on points and miles, of course.

I feel like a newbie again. I guess I'll have to read through dozens of posts or risk the wrath of asking something that was covered 25 pages ago. Oh well....

I should just quit now, after going through a few months of coin rehab, but where is Dr. Drew when you need him ????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.