Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Mar 14, 10, 6:35 am
  #8191  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Programs: AA, UA.
Posts: 229
Looking to buy 2 roll - 2008 James Monroe

Hello,

I am looking to buy two roll (25) coin of 2008 James Monroe. I try the US Mint website, but it sold out.

Anyone recommend a good place to buy? Also wondering will the US Mint website has it items available later time?

Thanks!
Lee
moon4fun is offline  
Old Mar 14, 10, 7:13 am
  #8192  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: BOS
Programs: All, but no status!
Posts: 751
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by beachmiles
AS far as I know , only Citi offers Virtual account numbers. AMEX, does not.

Citi, sign in to your account, select tools , select Virtual account number. If you have more than one account , select which account you are using.

Be sure to disable pop up blocker , before starting.

Originally Posted by xp0 View Post
Where do you get the virtual account numbers from, your CC? Can you get one for SPG cards?

Thx
No, I don't think any AMEX cards do virtual acc't nmbrs. (I think it has something to do with the fact that they're only 15 digits.)

For SPG, just add authorized users. I've done that and it works fine.
I do the VANs with FIA card serices cards -- Fidelity and Schwab cards that give a 1.5 or 2 pct rebate.
pawtim is offline  
Old Mar 14, 10, 3:11 pm
  #8193  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,644
Originally Posted by pawtim View Post
[SIZE=1]For SPG, just add authorized users. I've done that and it works fine.
I do the VANs with FIA card serices cards -- Fidelity and Schwab cards that give a 1.5 or 2 pct rebate.
I thought about adding authorized users, but doesn't the Mint search the address for previous orders as well, which they can probably will find a lot? Same with virtual numbers which would have the same billing address as the main card?

I once entered creative billing address, but the Mint said they could not match the billing address with my card and canceled my order.
buschoi is offline  
Old Mar 14, 10, 6:59 pm
  #8194  
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: St Paul 02/04...not flying Delta
Posts: 2,324
Circulating, Not

I often ask the cashier if they will be giving out the coins I just gave them as change. Without excepting, they all say they will not. I try, but no one wants 'em.
Comicwoman is offline  
Old Mar 14, 10, 7:13 pm
  #8195  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,456
Originally Posted by Comicwoman View Post
I often ask the cashier if they will be giving out the coins I just gave them as change. Without excepting, they all say they will not. I try, but no one wants 'em.
I honestly think it is the design-flaw of The Mint to make the $ coin not welcome by anyone - the coin weigh too much, the coin looks too much like quarter.

Other countries who have $ coins all have a coin that does not weigh so heavy, and has distinctive design, like 2 tones in color or different shapes / sizes that no way anyone would confuse it with the less denomination.

The whole $ coin to replace $ bill program is a flop. The Mint gets stuck with those $ coins that are mandated by law to produce... hence there is the $1 circulating program - but as you said, it aint happening.
Happy is offline  
Old Mar 14, 10, 7:30 pm
  #8196  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 8,184
Originally Posted by Comicwoman View Post
I often ask the cashier if they will be giving out the coins I just gave them as change. Without excepting, they all say they will not. I try, but no one wants 'em.
I get this a lot, too. It's unfortunate. But maybe, over time?

I just unloaded 50 today at the farmers' market with various vendors. My guess is, those who got three or four will reuse them as change.
josephstern is online now  
Old Mar 14, 10, 8:23 pm
  #8197  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Miami, FL, USA
Posts: 3,885
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I honestly think it is the design-flaw of The Mint to make the $ coin not welcome by anyone - the coin weigh too much, the coin looks too much like quarter.

Other countries who have $ coins all have a coin that does not weigh so heavy, and has distinctive design, like 2 tones in color or different shapes / sizes that no way anyone would confuse it with the less denomination.

The whole $ coin to replace $ bill program is a flop. The Mint gets stuck with those $ coins that are mandated by law to produce... hence there is the $1 circulating program - but as you said, it aint happening.
I believe that the design was done the way it was done to appease the vending machine lobby...
aviators99 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 10, 8:34 pm
  #8198  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,370
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
I believe that the design was done the way it was done to appease the vending machine lobby...
Yep--the Susan B. Anthony, Sacajewa dollars, and Presidential/Native American dollars all have the same composition/characteristics for vending/counting authentication.
soitgoes is offline  
Old Mar 14, 10, 11:38 pm
  #8199  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CMH
Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Posts: 198
Can I pay University Fee using coins?

I have been following this thread for a while but have not ordered any coins myself yet. Reason - I donot know how I will spend the coins. I am afraid it will become more of a headache to spread these coins. A question for gurus - I am studying part time in the evening classes. University charges 2.5% conv fee is I used CC to pay the tuition fee therefore I usually play through echeck. Will university accept the coins instead? Has anyone tried it before? I cannot stop smiling imagining the reaction of the cashier when I will show him the coins^
Delta2010 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 10, 12:11 am
  #8200  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 8,184
Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
I have been following this thread for a while but have not ordered any coins myself yet. Reason - I donot know how I will spend the coins. I am afraid it will become more of a headache to spread these coins. A question for gurus - I am studying part time in the evening classes. University charges 2.5% conv fee is I used CC to pay the tuition fee therefore I usually play through echeck. Will university accept the coins instead? Has anyone tried it before? I cannot stop smiling imagining the reaction of the cashier when I will show him the coins^
What kind of number are you talking about? At $1000, I'll bet it's not a problem. At $15,000, you're going to have some major resistance.
josephstern is online now  
Old Mar 15, 10, 8:00 am
  #8201  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin TX
Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 442
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I honestly think it is the design-flaw of The Mint to make the $ coin not welcome by anyone - the coin weigh too much, the coin looks too much like quarter.

Other countries who have $ coins all have a coin that does not weigh so heavy, and has distinctive design, like 2 tones in color or different shapes / sizes that no way anyone would confuse it with the less denomination.

The whole $ coin to replace $ bill program is a flop. The Mint gets stuck with those $ coins that are mandated by law to produce... hence there is the $1 circulating program - but as you said, it aint happening.
The only way to make the transition is if they stop making the $ bills. Until they force the issue people will resist the change. Business will accept them but very few of them are interested in giving them out a change because many customers don't want them.
benmaller is offline  
Old Mar 15, 10, 9:08 am
  #8202  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,169
Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
I have been following this thread for a while but have not ordered any coins myself yet. Reason - I donot know how I will spend the coins. I am afraid it will become more of a headache to spread these coins. A question for gurus - I am studying part time in the evening classes. University charges 2.5% conv fee is I used CC to pay the tuition fee therefore I usually play through echeck. Will university accept the coins instead? Has anyone tried it before? I cannot stop smiling imagining the reaction of the cashier when I will show him the coins^
Usually you have a deadline to pay the fees. Assuming the tuition you want to pay in coins is "nominal" (Are you really going to buy over 10k in coins?) - say $1k - $5k, you can go there multiple times to pay portions of it. I do not see a problem in them taking $500 in coins, and tell the cashier you have some more that you will come back with.
vrbaba is offline  
Old Mar 15, 10, 9:58 am
  #8203  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CMH
Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Posts: 198
I have already paid tuition for Spring. I will try paying through from Summer onwards. My tuition will range in <1k or $1.5 k.
Delta2010 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 10, 12:51 pm
  #8204  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Between EWR & ABE
Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Posts: 401
Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
A question for gurus - I am studying part time in the evening classes. University charges 2.5% conv fee is I used CC to pay the tuition fee therefore I usually play through echeck. Will university accept the coins instead? Has anyone tried it before? I cannot stop smiling imagining the reaction of the cashier when I will show him the coins^
I don't want to sound nasty (I don't mean to) but how would anyone know here? Every school has their own payment policy and you didn't mention which school this was so no one can truely answer your question. You need to contact the school's Bursar/Cashier and ask them what their payment policy is. Some schools may not accept cash. Again, check with your school for clarification.
MojaveJack is offline  
Old Mar 15, 10, 1:11 pm
  #8205  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California, SMF
Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Posts: 938
Hello everyone!
I've been on a coin sabbatical since January. Just returned from Thailand and Bali yesterday.... all on points and miles, of course.

I feel like a newbie again. I guess I'll have to read through dozens of posts or risk the wrath of asking something that was covered 25 pages ago. Oh well....

I should just quit now, after going through a few months of coin rehab, but where is Dr. Drew when you need him ????
PatMike is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: