Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:03 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by Steve M
And this is putting the coins into circulation how?
They can give them out as change to all of the loosers who buy their airline tickets at AAA. That's how.

The rules only say that I agree to not make an immeadiate deposit in my bank account, and what the AAA office does with them I could care less.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mrpickles
My $7500 that is arriving in the morning is going to be spent locally.

$1800 to homeowners insurance
$1300 to earthquake insurance
$400 to umbrella insurance
$200 to the gardener
$75 to the car mechanic

And that is just to start......I am sure they will all take them directly to the bank. Wouldnt it be more expedient if I just took them to the bank for them?
And all along I thought these were being passed out at the local branch of "Them 'R' Pickles Building and Loan" down on main street (que up "It's a wonderful life")
"What are you but a warped, frustrated young man?" - Mr. Potter.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:57 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by Kohoutek
Yes, really. A mileage/points hound with credit card in hand would not pay cash when a credit card will do. Use coins for cash only accepted opportunities, as discussed ad nauseam in this thread.
No. If you buy $X in coins and get y% back or y miles, you then get $Xy cash back on any future purchases made with those coins. This is the same you get back by using the CC directly. There's no difference in your gain except on the coins you get the cash back/miles upfront before you spend them since the rebate was made when the coins were purchased from the mint as opposed to later when you use them to make a purchase (or would have made the charge). If you're a really into econometrics , you realize that having the cash back sooner gives you more opportunity to earn interest on it and in the long run will net you a greater gain, though we're only taking pennies.

I personally don't use coins when I can use my CC, but there's no real reason not to so do, unless you are limited as to how many coins you can get from the mint, which seems to be a moving target.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:28 am
xp0

What does the 50 boxes go by ... your billing address on the CC, or the shipping address you are sending them to?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by xp0
What does the 50 boxes go by ... your billing address on the CC, or the shipping address you are sending them to?
There's been a number of posts but no real consensus. It seems the best thing to do is new address and new credit card.

Mike
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Kohoutek
One would only get the coins for circulating where a credit card is not taken, or if one has a business such as the laundromat businessman on this thread that can move the coins through his machines. A consumer's order of $500-$1,000 would take a while to move, if paying for things where a credit card is not taken. If those coins are used for purchases that could have been paid for with a credit card, then it doesn't make sense to order coins to begin with, unless one's intention on ordering coins is not to spend the coins, but to...well, you know.
There are businesses that take credit cards but prefer cash. There are some that give better prices or discounts for cash, too. And I've even known some to run out of singles and be very happy to get coins so they can make change.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mrpickles
And that is just to start......I am sure they will all take them directly to the bank. Wouldnt it be more expedient if I just took them to the bank for them?
Would you prefer the Mint to cancel your future orders or theirs when it asks the bank who deposited the large numbers of coins?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by xp0
Address is most common.

Though, do note, if you have previously ordered the NA coins this year, they will proactively reduce the number shipped.

For example, I ordered 20 boxes in January. They just raised the limit to 50 so I ordered 50. I just received 30 today.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:53 am
xp0

Yeah, That I figured. I ordered 20 previously ... so I only ordered 30 this time. I was just wondering if I could order say, 50 (or smaller orders that add up to that), with the same CC .... but to a different address, like my parents, or my wifes parents ... etc etc. It's an easy way to get some purchases on an AMEX since there are not many funding options for these
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Time Line ?

Way to go WBurcham. When did you place that order? Did it turn around in 7 or 8 days. I placed one on monday 3-11 and am hoping it comes tuesday 3-16 or wednesday 3-17. before I go out of town. I got a backorder email, but my order has shown " in process" since day two. In the past I have found the back order dates not to be accurate.

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Address is most common.

Though, do note, if you have previously ordered the NA coins this year, they will proactively reduce the number shipped.

For example, I ordered 20 boxes in January. They just raised the limit to 50 so I ordered 50. I just received 30 today.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:31 am

Phony Fee they invented to accept my coins

Yesterday attempted to deposit $2000 in coins at a different branch, where I had gone 6 times before over 5 months. They tell me there will be an $18 fee. I say, "show me this in the fee schedule." The teller disappears for 10 minutes and brings me the BUSINESS ACCT Fee Schedule. I tell her that doesn't apply since mine is a PERSONAL acct. Further, the fee she quoted is different than what it says in the book. Later she disappears another 10 minutes in the back, to return to BS me even more. Her manager and the branch manager later come. They try to tell me its a business transaction and must charge a business fee. I insist its PERSONAL. They say its commercial. I insist its personal I call them out for trying to pull imaginary fees out of thin air. They say they normally dont accept coins. I say they always "normally" accepted them in the past. Finally they agree to accept without charging me $18.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by flyertm
Yesterday attempted to deposit $2000 in coins at a different branch, where I had gone 6 times before over 5 months. They tell me there will be an $18 fee. I say, "show me this in the fee schedule." The teller disappears for 10 minutes and brings me the BUSINESS ACCT Fee Schedule. I tell her that doesn't apply since mine is a PERSONAL acct. Further, the fee she quoted is different than what it says in the book. Later she disappears another 10 minutes in the back, to return to BS me even more. Her manager and the branch manager later come. They try to tell me its a business transaction and must charge a business fee. I insist its PERSONAL. They say its commercial. I insist its personal I call them out for trying to pull imaginary fees out of thin air. They say they normally dont accept coins. I say they always "normally" accepted them in the past. Finally they agree to accept without charging me $18.
They might have made a note on their computer about your account. It doesn't matter what branch you go to... they still can see the notes. They could try to close your account.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:25 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by mikeef
Originally Posted by xp0
There's been a number of posts but no real consensus. It seems the best thing to do is new address and new credit card.

Mike
Virtual account numbers continue to work for me, as always. (With new email/snail mail/etc.)
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:23 am
xp0

Where do you get the virtual account numbers from, your CC? Can you get one for SPG cards?

Thx
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
SPG AMEX - No, Citi -Yes

AS far as I know , only Citi offers Virtual account numbers. AMEX, does not.

Citi, sign in to your account, select tools , select Virtual account number. If you have more than one account , select which account you are using.

Be sure to disable pop up blocker , before starting.

Originally Posted by xp0
Where do you get the virtual account numbers from, your CC? Can you get one for SPG cards?

Thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.