Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by somdave2005
Has anyone tried to deposit these coins at their local brokerage branch? ie Schwab, Fidelity, Etrade, Scotttrade, etc. I have a Schwab account and depositing there would be very convenient since I can then transfer to my Schwab checking account.
AFAIK, neither Schwab nor Fidelity branches accept cash. Checks only. They are not banks and dont provide traditional banking functions. In particular, they do not have vaults to safe-keep cash.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:46 pm

FYI, my chase branch in cent. Nj is no longer accepting $1coins for deposit. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Chase's loss = wachovia & pnc's gain
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:01 am

Bank wants me to come back so they can refuse my coins

I deposited $3000 and have a receipt. 2 hours after leaving, they called me saying they want me to come back and pick them up because they dont want them. I didnt deposit them to immediately withdraw them! I suppose they cannot force me to come and get them and they cannot simply leave them on the street.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:19 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyertm
I deposited $3000 and have a receipt. 2 hours after leaving, they called me saying they want me to come back and pick them up because they dont want them. I didnt deposit them to immediately withdraw them! I suppose they cannot force me to come and get them and they cannot simply leave them on the street.
Ha, no chance I'd go back and pick them up after depositing them and getting a receipt. That's a good one though!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ordered pair of AJ's on 2/28, and they arrived 3/9... got the shipping email after they arrived (but there was a UPS phone call in the morning ^)
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:33 am

politely inform them of your 10% service charge.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by crabbing
politely inform them of your 10% service charge.
Brilliant. Make sure to note this policy is conveniently posted in your home or office right next to the phone, for full disclosure.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Happy
My records always match with what shown on the online accounts.
Mine don't. Every so often I get lucky and a charge never shows up.

Much more often, the dates don't match. The credit card company can get the charge weeks or more after I make it (especially for out-of-country purchases), and even longer for out-of-stock-delayed-shipping. Bonuses are based on when they think charges happened, not on when I do.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
They can't force you to take them back, but they can close out your account.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Every so often I get lucky and a charge never shows up.
What?! And this happened more than once?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by sethb
They can't force you to take them back, but they can close out your account.
Yup, I could see that happening if you (OP) tried another coin deposit.

Also, its correct that Fidelity does not accept cash deposits. Check or wire/bank transfer only.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Go back in there and say, OK, I'm here for my coins. You're not debiting my account, though; I made a deposit and you accepted it. You don't want the coins, great, I'll take the coins, but my deposit stands.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:03 am

How do you spend your $ coins? Let's list them.

I may be one of the strange ones who actually try to spend the coins and thus circulate them. I propose that we share ideas as to how we can accomplish our own individual goals to rack up miles as well as to help the Mint place the coins in the economy.

I for one use my various CCs as much as possible. Still there are opportunities for using old fashioned cash for day to day transactions when CCs are not the best option. Here are a few ways I circulate the $ coins:

1. Gas station with a 5 cent discount/gallon for cash
2. Small local supermarket that does not take CCs
3. Real estate tax paid in coins
4. Cash present for high school grads
5. Vending machines & parking meters
6. In person charity donations

Any more ideas?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
deleted

Last edited by cordelli; Dec 23, 2010 at 2:15 pm
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
The key here is to vary the card usage by buying coins, booze, hookers and blow on the same statement.
You ppl are making my day with this thread.

Apologies if I'm just an idiot who can't work the Search tools correctly, but is there a master list somewhere of which CC issuers will cut you off for using your card for this transaction? I'm thinking of placing an order on my Amex Premier Rewards Gold - noticing a lot of talk about SPG but not the other cards. Thanks for any info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.