Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Sep 24, 08, 8:01 am

Most vending machines will take them (at least the ones I have tried). They have the same makeup as previous dollar coins.
Old Sep 24, 08, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I have not tried these in vending machines but am curious if anyone else has and what has worked. Rest areas on highways often have newer ones and yet some places are old school.
Federal agencies and machines operating on federal property are supposed to accommodate the dollar coins. Recently, I converted some dollar coins into quarters (for parking meters) - gets the coins in circulation and isn't something one can charge in this area (there are some meters that take CC now).
Old Sep 24, 08, 11:39 am

Programs: Priority Gold, UA, DL
I find that most people really like getting them in change...unless they are ignorant rubes...That look at you like your trying to rip them off by using them....which happens from time to time....
Old Sep 24, 08, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
As of today there are 6 coins available...ordered $3000 worth of coins just now...I am officially an addict

Thanks to everyone for posting
Old Sep 24, 08, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
UPS delivered the latest order today. The mint only sent me the shipping/tracking announcement around 10 p.m. last night.

I wish they'd get the tracking info out a bit earlier, so we can watch for the drive. UPS and USPS leave them without signature required. (fedex does require a signature)
Old Sep 24, 08, 4:02 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
With so many posts in this thread, I've lost track of where to find out what I need so I'll just ask again...have we figured out if individuals can re-order the same coins in a separate order? The website says limit 2 per order. I received 500 of John Adams a couple weeks ago, so am I allowed to order more now that it will be a different order?

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 08, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by ncfinfan View Post
Most vending machines will take them (at least the ones I have tried). They have the same makeup as previous dollar coins.
Correct if I am wrong, but I last had the old dollar coins a few years back. they seem to be bigger and heavier than these. i remember not being able to put it into a vending machine itself.
Old Sep 24, 08, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brosnan6 View Post
I received 500 of John Adams a couple weeks ago, so am I allowed to order more now that it will be a different order?
The official limit is two boxes per president per person, total. YMMV, as individuals have reported ways of skirting these rules. However, they are being at least selectively enforced, as cancellations have occurred.
Old Sep 24, 08, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Correct if I am wrong, but I last had the old dollar coins a few years back. they seem to be bigger and heavier than these. i remember not being able to put it into a vending machine itself.
The really old dollar coins were different.
The Presidential, Sacajawea, and Susan B. Anthony coins are all designed to be vending machine compatible to the same standard. Everything post 1979 should be compatible, from what I understand.
Old Sep 24, 08, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
Had an order delivered by UPS yesterday; they left the package on the porch.

I just ordered up two new (for me) sets -- JA and Jefferson. I only need to get Monroe to max out the current run of coins.

And if you aren't already aware, Van Buren should be out on Nov. 14, according to the release schedule on the website.
Old Sep 24, 08, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
My brother-in-law received today 500 George Washingtons that had been shipped 29 Aug 08. My nephew-in-law received shipping notice today of 500 Andrew Jacksons that had been “in process” since 19 Sep 08.

The following five coins are currently available: GW, JA, TJ, JMad, AJ.
Old Sep 24, 08, 10:55 pm

Programs: Priority Gold, UA, DL
Im curious as to how many people have gotten uncirculated roll's of coins?

The Jackson one's I received were look Uncirculated but the Jefferson ones appear to be slightly circulated or at least kinda dinged up...
Old Sep 24, 08, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by bthorny View Post
Im curious as to how many people have gotten uncirculated roll's of coins?

The Jackson one's I received were look Uncirculated but the Jefferson ones appear to be slightly circulated or at least kinda dinged up...
Could be the Jeffersons were Churned by other FTers. Noticed they were out the other day, and was wondering if the ones that were received, deposited and return to the Fed by the bank are ready to be sent out again.

Personally, I have been cycling these through my cash drawer at work. So I am actually getting them in circulation (providing my customers have continued to use them and not "put them aside for the Grandkids" as I have had some people tell me)
Old Sep 25, 08, 12:51 am

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
I thought these were uncirculated at first, but they are not. Look again, the mint calls them "Circulating $1 Dollar Coin Direct Ship Rolls".

-kirax2
Old Sep 25, 08, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bthorny View Post
I find that most people really like getting them in change...unless they are ignorant rubes...That look at you like your trying to rip them off by using them....which happens from time to time....
I sometimes wish I were mean like these people can be. I am often taken aback by these types and try to defend myself when in fact I should look at them instead and give a glare that says, "how dare you accuse me you arshole!" but like I said, I am too nice. Trying to compensate for their stupidity and all that. I'll say, " oh oh no, ma'am, these are those new coins and..." but even if they realize it and become nice again I still feel as though I had to do all the work, ya know?

it is sad that so many people use their stupidity as a way to put pressure on you to prove that what you are doing is ok. I should walk out of stores that are run by these types more often than I do.
oh well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: