Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
The last 3 orders I've placed have all been canceled as well.

HRM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
I've ordered the $5k limit of the NA earlier this year, but my girlfriend (same address) needed to get some spending on her Chase BA card so we ordered some with her card and they came in with no problem. I then tried to order more with a different card of mine and they got canceled.

So, the point is that I don't think they're going by address as some others have suggested (mentioned about people's orders in the same apt building being canceled) because we're both at the same address and they came through for her, but not for my 2nd order.

Just thought I'd throw that data point out there...
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Well if you've NEVER ordered before then I'd call them on it. What harm can it do and you'll probably be able to get a new order fullfilled.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pkerr
Well if you've NEVER ordered before then I'd call them on it. What harm can it do and you'll probably be able to get a new order fullfilled.
My order was "finally" cancelled. I did called them right away and I was told of credit card problem, although an authorization showed up on my CC online account view. I called AMEX (the card I used), made sure everything was fine, and placed a new order. Now my order is at the back of the line.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Local banks that I deposit at have noted other people coming in. Some (mostly younger) tellers laugh and think it's a hoot, while some (mostly older) hate the work associated with it.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: Starwood
My bank in New York misses me but they say that the Brinks guys are happy that they don't have to carry all my coins anymore.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Brinks

Ahem - most of us mint-mindful folks don't just dump coins at the local bank to provide meaningful employment for truck drivers. Some of us spread joy and heavy metal all over the world. Many of my coins get wrapped inside dollar bills as tips or deposited into airport charity boxes.

Originally Posted by longtimereader
My bank in New York misses me but they say that the Brinks guys are happy that they don't have to carry all my coins anymore.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Ahem - most of us mint-mindful folks don't just dump coins at the local bank to provide meaningful employment for truck drivers. Some of us spread joy and heavy metal all over the world. Many of my coins get wrapped inside dollar bills as tips or deposited into airport charity boxes.
Used mine to tip a shuttle-bus driver at the airport today. And I used about 50 at the farmer's market last weekend.

I always feel obligated to tell everyone what they are, lest they use them as quarters accidentally.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:35 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Got some presidents coming over for morning coffee on Friday.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by josephstern
Used mine to tip a shuttle-bus driver at the airport today.

I always feel obligated to tell everyone what they are, lest they use them as quarters accidentally.
i do both of those. use them to tip drivers and tell everyone that they are dollar coins, not quarters. don't want them thinking i just gave them a 75 cent tip.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Mr Adams and Mr Jefferson came to visit as a surprise this morning. They were welcome to arrive almost a week early and did not cancel their trip. Now if I could just make peace with the natives! I do live on a reservation all summer!

JudyJFLA
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Dangit.

Yet another order of mine was canceled yesterday.

Going to try again on Monday, but I think that after a short-lived run, this is starting to become more trouble than its worth.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rajuabju
Dangit.

Yet another order of mine was canceled yesterday.

Going to try again on Monday, but I think that after a short-lived run, this is starting to become more trouble than its worth.
Had mine canceled too...fun while it lasted.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Many will remember that a Mint contract employee lost a laptop with credit card info. It was reported that affected customers were notified. Not me, so that was cool, I figured I was OK.

Well I got a letter from FIA Card Services (Bank of America subsidiary) saying they take my confidentiality very seriously and my account information may have been compromised by a merchant. So they cancelling my card and sending me another.

I called FIA asking which merchant may have compromised my personal account info. Get this, they could not. The CSR said the merchant had chosen to remain unnamed. I commented that CC contracts protect the banker, protect the merchant.....everyone but me. I evidently have no right to merchant's identity. I told FIA to cancel my card.

This card was used almost exclusively with the US Mint. Only one non-mint charge in five months.

BTW, I remained calm and respectful. But gosh, this sure seems cheesy.

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Feb 19, 2010 at 10:45 am
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Many will remember that a Mint contract employee lost a laptop with credit card info. It was reported that affected customers were notified. Not me, so that was cool, I figured I was OK.

Well I got a letter from FIA Card Services (Bank of America subsidiary) saying they take my confidentiality very seriously and my account information may have been compromised by a merchant. So they cancelling my card and sending me another.

I called FIA asking which merchant may have compromised my personal account info. Get this, they could not. The CSR said the merchant had chosen to remain unnamed. I commented that CC contracts protect the banker, protect the merchant.....everyone but me. I evidently have no right to merchant's identity. I told FIA to cancel my card.

This card was used almost exclusively with the US Mint. Only one non-mint charge in five months.

BTW, I remained calm and respectful. But gosh, this sure seems cheesy.
A wee bit OT, but thanks for the reminder. I got the same letter and new card. They said I could call MC to ask the name of the merchant!

I am keeping the card because it is a grandfathered 2% cashback MC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.