Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkc98110
I'm curious--how often do shipments go missing? I had a $250 box of NA coins ordered, (shipped 1/20), then shipping info sent to my local post office on 2/1, then finally last week the Mint said they probably were lost, fill out the forms and you should get them in 3 weeks or so.

So, they just expect them to be stolen frequently? This was only the 2nd box I had ordered.

I'd like to use them to pay $3000 in property taxes in a couple months!
My experience is that USPS loses far more packages than UPS. If you order $500 in coins, I think they always ship UPS. So 2 boxes is the threshold for UPS.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by josephstern
My experience is that USPS loses far more packages than UPS. If you order $500 in coins, I think they always ship UPS. So 2 boxes is the threshold for UPS.
That comports with what the Mint said--any orders under $300 do not require signature, and go USPS. Above that, UPS and signature required. Seems to be ripe for fraud though! But, I suppose stolen or not, the coins have a chance to get into circulation, which after all, is the aim of the program.....
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:15 pm
In memoriam

My experience is that neither USPS or UPS lose mint packages.

I just got 5K via USPS, not UPS.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Get a PO Box for security.

Other advantages, too. You get your mail earlier much in the day and never have to worry about stopping and starting mail when you go out of town.

Also gives you another address for those "one offer per household" offers, like on rebates.

Easily pays for itself.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
I'm curious--how often do shipments go missing? I had a $250 box of NA coins ordered, (shipped 1/20), then shipping info sent to my local post office on 2/1, then finally last week the Mint said they probably were lost, fill out the forms and you should get them in 3 weeks or so.

So, they just expect them to be stolen frequently? This was only the 2nd box I had ordered.

I'd like to use them to pay $3000 in property taxes in a couple months!

I haven't had any "lost" but did have a UPS order for 2 boxes never show up due to being damaged in transit and held by UPS "pending investigation." Took a while for the mint to send the forms for a refund.

I also had an order for 2 boxes of 2 different presidents ship separately on the same date and by UPS. Other single box shipments I received were via Fed Ex/USPS.

Last edited by MojaveJack; Feb 15, 2010 at 12:59 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:06 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
An excellent tip and one of the best ways to avoid ID theft since many ID thefts start with stealing mail delivered to an insecure home mailbox.

I would add: get a real USPS box, not one from a private service. Cheaper, and the USPS is not going out of business--something I have had happen with private services.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I don't think that would have helped in my situation, apparently the coins never reached my local PO. I'd imagine there are people in the USPS and elsewhere who recognize the boxes, and simply lift one every now and then. But as I said earlier, I guess they still get into circulation that way!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I don't think that would have helped in my situation, apparently the coins never reached my local PO. I'd imagine there are people in the USPS and elsewhere who recognize the boxes, and simply lift one every now and then. But as I said earlier, I guess they still get into circulation that way!
Yes, but if the cartons never hit your PO Box, you have a lot easier time convincing someone who can reimburse you that they never arrived.

If they get dropped on your front porch and vanish, you might have a big problem.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
....I'd imagine there are people in the USPS and elsewhere who recognize the boxes, and simply lift one every now and then. But as I said earlier, I guess they still get into circulation that way!
Great for sex and cigarettes in Leavenworth!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:54 am

Specific of coin limit?

Hi there,

I just had a quick question! When the US Mint states that people are limited to only 2 boxes per presidential coin, is this for a specific time period, for life, or what? Could I buy some more after waiting for a specific amount of time?

thanks
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Sometimes yes... sometimes no. I have tried it and had various amounts of success. I have waited a few months and have had some orders cancelled and other orders accepted and filled.

You just never know.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I just had emails for line cancellations for both the 2010 NA's and the John Adams, both for over limit. I will have to try for them again from my summer address in May. This is the first time I have ever had anything canceled

JudyJFLA
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Same here but no reason given for the cancellation...

"The following order has been cancelled either at your
request or because we were unable to process it. We invite
you to resubmit the order via our website..."

I guess I'll take them up on their invitation.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:15 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

As long as the coins remain on backorder, it seems sensible for the Mint to enforce its purchase limits.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Mine was code 55 "purchase limit" They didn't tell me to order again!!

JudyJFLA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.