Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Feb 9, 10, 10:38 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
And what sort of transaction *does* result in coins being "circulated"? I claim that there is no such thing.
+1
Old Feb 9, 10, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
I tried to use the coins yesterday at a non-chain mini-mart near my home and the cashier/owner straight up refused to accept the coins. I tried to pay $26 with one whole roll and a single coin and he said no I'm not taking those, the bank charges me to deposit them. I almost flipped, but I maintained my composure and just walked out. How are we supposed to circulate them if stores won't accept them?

Last edited by 4Health; Feb 10, 10 at 12:51 am
Old Feb 9, 10, 11:20 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by mrpickles
Originally Posted by josephstern
For personal Visas and MCs, AFAIK, the number would still be the same even if the name were different. So I don't think this will really help.

What about using a virtual account number for online purchases?

Or am I leaking hush-hush information?
I don't know if it's hush hush, but so far I'm thinking only you and I have thought of this!

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but let's keep it a dirty little secret)

Pawtimmy -- oh, no wait ... This one goes with the primary account, so pawtim.

Last edited by pawtim; Feb 9, 10 at 11:23 pm
Old Feb 9, 10, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles View Post
What about using a virtual account number for online purchases?
VAN's will not work for THIS deal.
Old Feb 10, 10, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Something that involves a third party and actually opening the coin roll would be a start but you're welcome to claim anything you wish.
Like I said, there are no transactions I can think of where what you describe above will happen. Even if they did "open the roll", why would that make a difference? They would then do the same thing with the coins as if they never opened it. Which is the same thing most people in this thread do with them.

Maybe if you spent them at Walt Disney World, but to tell you the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if they took rogue ones to the bank, too.
Old Feb 10, 10, 2:48 am

Has anyone been to the authorized payment centers for various utility companies? Are they sketch?
Old Feb 10, 10, 7:47 am

Maybe if you spent them at Walt Disney World, but to tell you the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if they took rogue ones to the bank, too.
How would they know a 'rogue' one from one that originated there?

Anyway, at those place, you've got to use a card at each vendor. It's such a rip-off already, might as well get your 12 miles each time you get a bottle of water.
Old Feb 10, 10, 9:57 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Like I said, there are no transactions I can think of where what you describe above will happen. Even if they did "open the roll", why would that make a difference? They would then do the same thing with the coins as if they never opened it. Which is the same thing most people in this thread do with them.
If one opened the roll and occasionally used a few coins to pay at Starbucks and then several more coins at the cleaners and then two or three to buy candy and mints, that would make a difference.

The aim of most people in this thread is not to circulate the coins, so citing their behavior seems inapplicable. If one wants to circulate the coins, there are ways to do it.
Old Feb 10, 10, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by 4Health View Post
I tried to use the coins yesterday at a non-chain mini-mart near my home and the cashier/owner straight up refused to accept the coins. I tried to pay $26 with one whole roll and a single coin and he said no I'm not taking those, the bank charges me to deposit them. I almost flipped, but I maintained my composure and just walked out. How are we supposed to circulate them if stores won't accept them?
was the cashier saying they charge him for depositing coins in general or just the $1 coins? b/c really there shouldn't be a difference IMO. if the bank charges to deposit coins they shouldn't single out what type of coins get "charged" more. OTOH, i do not have a business doing daily deposits so i am not an expert. LOL
Old Feb 10, 10, 10:55 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
If one wants to circulate the coins, there are ways to do it.
Agreed. Our primary use is for tips. My office landlord buys five at a time from me and includes one in each tip.

Other examples:

I offer them whenever anyone asks, "Can you break a $20 bill?".

We use full rolls to pay the petsitter. Does she deposit them in the bank? I expect not because she frequently emphasizes that she prefers to be paid in "cash".
Old Feb 10, 10, 11:18 am

I recently changed to a job where the Coke machine is $0.60 instead of $0.25 at my old job and given the amount of soda I drink, this may be the thing that really makes a dent in the pile of coins that the Fed is holding.

I also keep a bunch in my rollaboard suitcase that I use for tips for maids and for the soda machines at hotels, to get the luggage carts at the airports when they don't take cards. I have paid my cleaning lady with them in the past, but I suspect she just takes them to the bank.

The DC parking meters (the French style ones that spit out the paper ticket) take them, and I have used those quite a bit. The meters purport to take credit cards, but they actually do not.

I probably spend $1,000 per year without too much effort.

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Agreed. Our primary use is for tips. My office landlord buys five at a time from me and includes one in each tip.

Other examples:

I offer them whenever anyone asks, "Can you break a $20 bill?".

We use full rolls to pay the petsitter. Does she deposit them in the bank? I expect not because she frequently emphasizes that she prefers to be paid in "cash".
Old Feb 10, 10, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, Choice, WN, AA, BA, UA, HA, Avis
Just received $500 Washingtons, YAY
Old Feb 10, 10, 1:47 pm

If one opened the roll and occasionally used a few coins to pay at Starbucks and then several more coins at the cleaners and then two or three to buy candy and mints, that would make a difference.
I disagree. This is what I use them for, and I know from speaking to these people that they bring them right to the bank, and will *not* hand them out as change.
Old Feb 10, 10, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I disagree. This is what I use them for, and I know from speaking to these people that they bring them right to the bank, and will *not* hand them out as change.
YMMV but I get them in change a various places.
Old Feb 10, 10, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by annerj View Post
YMMV but I get them in change a various places.
Well, that's good news. In Wyoming?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: