Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Feb 6, 10, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by orgopeach View Post
Has anyone tried to USE these coins in bulk. The most I've ever tried so far is the gas station in $40-50s. I would love to use them for my real estate taxes but perhaps paying it in smaller increments (1k) rather than over 5K-10k at a time.
I know that my local Fred Meyer (part of the Kroger chain) takes them in the self checkout. One of these days I'm going to try putting in an extra $5 or $10 worth and see whether I get them back as change or whether it will spit out bills.
Old Feb 7, 10, 8:20 am

Programs: AA, USAir
Originally Posted by blondc View Post
I know that my local Fred Meyer (part of the Kroger chain) takes them in the self checkout. One of these days I'm going to try putting in an extra $5 or $10 worth and see whether I get them back as change or whether it will spit out bills.
I believe there was a person that tried the exact same thing at a different store but stated that the machine would not take any more dollar coins after it has gone over the total purchase amount (hence no bills as change).

For a huge spend, I know people have taken them to pay property taxes.
Old Feb 7, 10, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by jimbaum View Post
I believe there was a person that tried the exact same thing at a different store but stated that the machine would not take any more dollar coins after it has gone over the total purchase amount (hence no bills as change).

For a huge spend, I know people have taken them to pay property taxes.
Take for example an $18 dollar purchase - if I start by putting in 15 coins then put in a $20 bill, I'm curious how the $17 of change owed to me would work.

After I get my next shipment of coins I'll try it out and let you know. And yes - I know that I can just use my AA card and charge the purchase. However, we are trying to go cash only this year to see how it affects our spending habits - but we're so addicted to the miles, we still gotta earn them somehow!
Old Feb 7, 10, 1:38 pm

Just receved empty package from US Mint

I ordered 250 coins a few weeks ago and when I got the package I noticed that it was unusually light like it was empty, and it was, aside from some packing paper and a smaller box that was also empty. There were no obvious signs that the package had been tampered with prior to arrival. Has anyone else had this experience? I just faxed in a certificate of non-receipt and am hoping to get this resolved but not feeling good about this.
Old Feb 7, 10, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by william76 View Post
I ordered 250 coins a few weeks ago and when I got the package I noticed that it was unusually light like it was empty, and it was, aside from some packing paper and a smaller box that was also empty. There were no obvious signs that the package had been tampered with prior to arrival. Has anyone else had this experience? I just faxed in a certificate of non-receipt and am hoping to get this resolved but not feeling good about this.
Go to www.ups.com, put in the tracking number and get the details, including the weight of the package. If the weight is less than 5 lbs (and it should be) it will be considerable proof that were shipped received an empty box. The metal content of the 250 coins alone should weight about 4.5 lbs, so the package should weigh that plus the weight of the packaging. Get that evidence saved now before the tracking record disappears.
Old Feb 7, 10, 1:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
deleted

Last edited by cordelli; Dec 23, 10 at 3:17 pm
Old Feb 7, 10, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
Locally it's in bills for the change, not dollar coins or any other coins in the self service grocery store machines.

The train station and some other vending machines though are the opposite, they will dish out dollar coins.

One grocery chain, forget which one, limits you to just $8 in change, so it would not let you put in $15 in coin, only $8. Probably to keep the machine from getting full too quickly.
Thanks for the reply, the US mint website shows it was shipped fedex, and their records show that it was 4.8 pounds and tendered to USPS. There is only a USPS shipping label on the box.
Old Feb 7, 10, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by william76 View Post
Thanks for the reply, the US mint website shows it was shipped fedex, and their records show that it was 4.8 pounds and tendered to USPS. There is only a USPS shipping label on the box.
And how much does the junk that you received really weigh?
Old Feb 7, 10, 2:13 pm

Maybe a few ounces
Old Feb 7, 10, 10:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Deleted, due to not reading far enough back!

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Feb 8, 10 at 2:37 am
Old Feb 8, 10, 1:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA View Post
Junk? This is prime historical US currency and it all comes in heavy boxes!!
I think CaptainMiles was referring to the empty box and the packaging that william received (without the coins) as junk.

I always try to order over $500 to avoid Fedex/USPS. The Fedex part should be okay, but the USPS part can create a lot of trouble.
Old Feb 8, 10, 6:03 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It's best to order at least $500 of a single type of coin to avoid this problem.
Old Feb 8, 10, 7:07 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by pawtim View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It's best to order at least $500 of a single type of coin to avoid this problem.
it won't help you when its backordered

my first order was for $750 and was shipped in two packages, $250 box via FedEx/USPS and $500 box via UPS.
Old Feb 8, 10, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by JerseyVics View Post
it won't help you when its backordered

my first order was for $750 and was shipped in two packages, $250 box via FedEx/USPS and $500 box via UPS.
Was your order for $750 of a single type of coin? Was it only partially available and they shipped $250 now and backordered the remaining $500? I believe that would be the first report of such a shipment in this thread.
Old Feb 8, 10, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Just rec'd a new shipment. The cardboard boxes are smaller- no plastic trays inside. Also, the Sacagawea dollars are in black and yellow U.S. mint rolls, instead of the old white with red trim generic rolls.

The official U.S. mint rolls should make it easier to convince my bank not to waste time unrolling and counting them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: