Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Vending machines I use tend to tell you the amount as you drop each coin in. Since generally small transactions, I would catch an error like this immediately and would report it to a manager to correct the transaction (or the police if they were truly committing fraud; what you are describing is a criminal matter that can be prosecuted). Typical use would be a supermarket self-serve line for a handful of items for an office lunch.

Dollar or 2 dollar coins (or their equivalents in local currency) are common in some countries, and they have done away with very small paper bills. Thinking like Canada (loonies and toonies), Bermuda (although US dollars can be used interchangeably on a 1:1 fixed float) and the Eastern Caribbean (EC dollar paper currency generally starts at $5; smaller usually in coin).
Old Feb 5, 2010, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Say someone brings in $8-20k worth of coins, they aren't possibly going to be able to hand out all of that in change in a week. Some banks run them through machines while others put them in bags of $2k. But they do not have the vault space for the coins. They will have to have to schedule extra shipments sometimes, especially if multiple people are doing this at one bank.
You have correctly pointed out one of the problems with the whole program. If the banks don't know what to do with them or can't distribute them, it'll never gain ground among the general populace.

Originally Posted by buschoi
+1. Order is in process and expected to ship on 02/01/2010. No authorization to my credit card though. I am tempted to call the Mint and find out what happens but do not want to bring too much attention to it....

On the other hand, a back-order from early December was finally shipped today. Talking about two months of back-order.
Just got mine, also. I completely forgot about them.

Mike
Old Feb 5, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Originally Posted by mikeef
You have correctly pointed out one of the problems with the whole program. If the banks don't know what to do with them or can't distribute them, it'll never gain ground among the general populace.
Mike
Yeah, tell me about it. When I asked at a local bank about buying dollar coins, they practically snarled at me. Strange considering larger value coins are common outside the US and when the US was on the gold/silver standards decades ago, legal tender bullion coins were sometimes preferred over their paper counterpart.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by GadgetKen
Yeah, tell me about it. When I asked at a local bank about buying dollar coins, they practically snarled at me. Strange considering larger value coins are common outside the US and when the US was on the gold/silver standards decades ago, legal tender bullion coins were sometimes preferred over their paper counterpart.
Not just preferred, but expected. My grandparents talked about sewing $2 1/2 gold Indians into their clothing during the great depression...they only trusted gold and silver.

The banks complain about (relatively smaller -- compared to past silver dollars) $1 coins today...imagine having to vault $1 Morgan or Peace silver dollars, $2 1/2, $5, $10 and $20 gold coins.

The banks will complain about anything, their dream is to have a cashless society where all customer transactions are done online, they have no human tellers to pay and they still charge the same fee schedule.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
The banks will complain about anything, their dream is to have a cashless society where all customer transactions are done online, they have no human tellers to pay and they still charge the same fee schedule.
Agreed. Another year of increased profits for the major US banks, and they're complaining about having to pay Brinks to pick up coins?

I will gladly stick it to any of these banks, any day of the week.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:29 pm

I the mint in reading this forum they will see that their household limit worked out very well for them, they are still getting orders and don't have to deal with bad press over people who order 99 boxes a week.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
deleted

Last edited by cordelli; Dec 23, 2010 at 2:17 pm
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Dollar coin sizes

[QUOTE=miller4isu

With people that like, $1 coins have no chance of replacing the paper dollar.[/QUOTE]

I agree. As long as the $1 coins are so close to the quarter in size this will continue. Why doesn't the mint make them large enough so you can tell by touch OR give it an edge or two? Doesn't make sense but since when has a government agency like this made much sense?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:12 pm

I just noticed the podcast on the WSJ site, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126014168569179245.html, I wasn't sure if anyone else had noticed it. Pretty entertaining, more details than the article, I think they should have had mrpickles call in!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I just noticed the podcast on the WSJ site, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126014168569179245.html, I wasn't sure if anyone else had noticed it.
A two-month old article and you're not sure if anyone else on this heavily posted and trafficked thread had seen it? Really?!?!

"Is the Mint Party Over?"

One of the most important FT Guidelines & Rules, to which everyone agreed to abide when they joined, is Use the Search Feature.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:36 am

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Wilson
I agree. As long as the $1 coins are so close to the quarter in size this will continue. Why doesn't the mint make them large enough so you can tell by touch OR give it an edge or two? Doesn't make sense but since when has a government agency like this made much sense?
I believe this issue is the retrofitting of vending machines, etc to accept a new dollar coin. The current coins have the same signature of the old susan b anthony so no retrofitting was required.

As others have said, until there is a significant commitment, i.e the pulling of dollar bills, to make the switch they will not become widely accepted.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
A two-month old article and you're not sure if anyone else on this heavily posted and trafficked thread had seen it? Really?!?!

"Is the Mint Party Over?"

One of the most important FT Guidelines & Rules, to which everyone agreed to abide when they joined, is Use the Search Feature.
---->podcast<----
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
---->podcast<----
The only podcasts I noticed were on mundane topics such as, "F is more comfortable than Y." No $50k coin deposits at the local grocery store Chase branch, sadly.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
The only podcasts I noticed were on mundane topics such as, "F is more comfortable than Y." No $50k coin deposits at the local grocery store Chase branch, sadly.
To the left of the fourth paragraph down there is a little java applet that says "turning coins into miles" with play audio below it.

Thanks Carl.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:36 pm

Has anyone tried to USE these coins in bulk. The most I've ever tried so far is the gas station in $40-50s. I would love to use them for my real estate taxes but perhaps paying it in smaller increments (1k) rather than over 5K-10k at a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.