Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
I don't get it

Originally Posted by WebNomad
I am now simply buying these coins to spend them rather than deposit them into the bank. I need to spend cash on a daily basis anyway, and I am glad that my coin purchase is still rewarded with the points by my credit card company, so essentially all my monetary expenditures earn rewards now.
Are you joking. all my purchases are put on my cards and earn rewards. Even a pack of gum at the 7-11 store is paid for with plastic. The only time I ever hand anyone cash anymore is when I give the homeless guy near the Starbucks a buck or two. I do not give him coins. That might push him over the edge.

all my coins go to ... just forget it. Maybe that was a joke.
But here's a little tip, keep some currency in your pocket for the homeless guys, coins make them angry.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Are you joking. all my purchases are put on my cards and earn rewards. Even a pack of gum at the 7-11 store is paid for with plastic. The only time I ever hand anyone cash anymore is when I give the homeless guy near the Starbucks a buck or two. I do not give him coins. That might push him over the edge.

all my coins go to ... just forget it. Maybe that was a joke.
But here's a little tip, keep some currency in your pocket for the homeless guys, coins make them angry.
Not true, this guy outside of a DC metro station was sticking out his hand saying "gimme a quarter". I tried to give the guy a dollar bill, and he pushes my hand back and says "gimme a quarter!!!". This was done is a yelling, nasty voice. I just started laughing, thinking this guy is just not all there in the head. He could just go to the hot dog stand 40 feet away and get 4 quarters with the dollar bill. But he really has his mind set on getting a quarter and wasn't going to accept anything more.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
trying every trick and still getting canceled.

Last edited by nwa330; Jan 28, 2010 at 9:19 pm
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Oh and YES, customers can refuse to take your $2 bills as change and simply say, "If you dont have the denomination I want, can you VOID the transaction?"

What would you do? Tell the customer to take a hike?
You are going to void the entire transaction because you were given 2 dimes and a nickel due to being out of quarters? 2 5's because they are out of 10's? You can't give what you dont have. Years ago when i was a cashier working my way through high school...I ran out of any given denomination. When you had to substitute other denominations whether it was coins or bills, the customer may do a double take since they werent expecting it..but after a 2 second pause for counting, they were on there way. Never an issue, nor have I seen an issue in any store I have been in...but maybe it is the type of people in any given area.

Plus, a cashier in a store (large or small) is not a bank..all they can do is make change with what is available to them...In the end though, why should they be accepted by you or me? Well, the same reason we give the banks and tax collectors when they refuse our deposits/payments of these, "They are currency so there's no reason you should be refusing it"...Huh, sounds odd when the shoe is on the other foot I guess.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BakerStreet
The problem with the dollar coin is that it is too similar in size and shape to the quarter. 'One euro' coins and 'one pound' coins are unique in their respective currencies. There is no chance of confusing them with other coins in your pocket.
It is indeed a problem. I have bank tellers confuses them with quarters when they first saw the $ coins.

The design of US $ coin is flawed in at least 2 areas - the weight being too heavy, the shape and size are easily confused with the quarters. Dont understand why the Mint never learns after the failure of the Susan B. many years ago.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You never know how some people can get really upset with trivia things.

I have seen people voided transactions at drug stores simply because they were not happy how the cashier treated them or how they did not get things done the way what they wanted.

Your assumption is all nice and well when in writing. In the day-to-day life reality especially in current shaky economy, the last thing a store keeper would want is to have unhappy customers who may accept your coin change for this time, but they may not come back to your store because they dont have to buy from you knowing you would give them back the coins as change they dont want.

Yes, they may be on their way after reluctantly accepting the coin changes you force to them. But they may never come back to your store because of that also.

Is this what you would practice if you run a business - to drive your customers away?

The only way these $ coins can be widely circulated is to get rid of the $ bill like in Europe and in Canada, in Australia and New Zealand. There is no other ways no matter how eloquent one try to write and make the case.

Originally Posted by swintec
You are going to void the entire transaction because you were given 2 dimes and a nickel due to being out of quarters? 2 5's because they are out of 10's? You can't give what you dont have. Years ago when i was a cashier working my way through high school...I ran out of any given denomination. When you had to substitute other denominations whether it was coins or bills, the customer may do a double take since they werent expecting it..but after a 2 second pause for counting, they were on there way. Never an issue, nor have I seen an issue in any store I have been in...but maybe it is the type of people in any given area.

Plus, a cashier in a store (large or small) is not a bank..all they can do is make change with what is available to them...In the end though, why should they be accepted by you or me? Well, the same reason we give the banks and tax collectors when they refuse our deposits/payments of these, "They are currency so there's no reason you should be refusing it"...Huh, sounds odd when the shoe is on the other foot I guess.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:07 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by swintec
Over the course of the thread, many have said the mint should ditch the dollar bill and force the coins into circulation that way....Why don't you do this in your shop? Keep your dollar bill slot empty and give the coins out, when they ask for a dollar you can simply say you dont have any OR the bank gave you these when you went in for change the other day. You could even say these are the new dollar bills, with a smile.

That is what we did last summer at our business in Montana. Any $1 bills that came in were put under the drawer and 1 or 2 rolls of coins were loose in the Dollar bill slot. When bills were requested, we just said we only used the coins. Of course they were NA's and we are located on an indian reservation, so it worked out. We went through 4000 coins in 4 months, since many transactions used 4 at a time for change, and many grandmas were buying them for the kiddies. All Dollar bills that came in went to the bank for deposit. I will be taking the same amount or more of coins back to MT this summer as well, and trying to get the other merchants to use them as well. Of course my business neighbor glued one to the sidewalk. It was priceless all summer watching people bending over to pick it up, there were alot of scuff marks in the cement from people kicking it. Great entertainment for a buck, and I even sold them the coin!!
JudyJFLA
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Yesterday I sent the Mint an email asking for an exemption to the 20 box limit on the 2010 NA's. Here is the response I received today:

"Due to limited inventory we are unable to fulfill your request for an exemption from the 20-box household limit of Native American $1 Coins. Please consult with your local financial institutions to acquire Presidential $1 Coins for your use. We hope you will also continue to check our website for updates. Please also contact us if you are interested in Bulk purchasing of Presidential or Native American $1 coins minimum 140,000."

So, they don't have enough inventory to sell me $10,000 BUT they sure have enough to sell me $140,000???

Must be the 'new' math the Mint is using............
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miller4isu
Yesterday I sent the Mint an email asking for an exemption to the 20 box limit on the 2010 NA's. Here is the response I received today:

"Due to limited inventory we are unable to fulfill your request for an exemption from the 20-box household limit of Native American $1 Coins. Please consult with your local financial institutions to acquire Presidential $1 Coins for your use. We hope you will also continue to check our website for updates. Please also contact us if you are interested in Bulk purchasing of Presidential or Native American $1 coins minimum 140,000."

So, they don't have enough inventory to sell me $10,000 BUT they sure have enough to sell me $140,000???

Must be the 'new' math the Mint is using............
I'm guessing this is one of those strange situations where buying in bulk costs more.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm guessing this is one of those strange situations where buying in bulk costs more.
I think I will follow up with them, asking what 140,000 coins would cost - should be interesting just to find out.........
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
There's no way I'm going to risk upsetting a customer and try to force them to take the coins.

Even though I doubt a customer would get so upset as to stop coming to our car wash and go somewhere else based solely on this one item, there's no sense in taking that risk.

Someone late yesterday came in and liked the coins a lot, bought $50 worth. But the refusal rate remains around 40% for now.

I'll keep with it for now as its a good way for me to distribute the coins and order more.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I think I will follow up with them, asking what 140,000 coins would cost - should be interesting just to find out.........
The coins will be $140,000, but the shipping will not be free and they won't take a credit card.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:28 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by rajuabju
But the refusal rate remains around 40% for now.
That's amazing.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:29 am

Just had an order for 20 boxes of NA cancelled.....Only my 3rd order from them.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After they come back, you might find out what the payment terms are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.