FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/833911-buy-presidential-dollar-coins-cc-face-value-free-shipping.html)

tima1212 Jan 28, 2010 10:54 am

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA (Post 13274085)
Even though my shipping dates for backorders were showing Feb, UPS called this morning and another $2500 box of shiny 2010 NA's arrived. They are in the new skinny boxes, so good thing I saved the extra bigger boxes that hold $500 in rolls for my $1000 deposits. I think last years design was nicer than the new arrow back design.

JudyJFLA

Of course, you will want to make sure there are no "immediate" deposits and at least some of the coins should be "introduced into circulation".

rajuabju Jan 28, 2010 11:07 am

Just received $1000 in NA coins this morning.

Time for next order!

chimmy826 Jan 28, 2010 11:45 am

Originally Posted by rajuabju (Post 13275027)
Just received $1000 in NA coins this morning.

Time for next order!

I guess the car wash business is thriving! Congrats!

rajuabju Jan 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by chimmy826 (Post 13275282)
I guess the car wash business is thriving! Congrats!

Actually, unfortunately, its not. Approximately 40% of customers are rejecting taking the coins and asking for dollar bills instead.

All in all, I have about $3,000 in coins right now that I'm trying to distribute (while still ordering more when I can). But I think I will have no choice but to start exchanging some of the excess amounts at the banks so I dont have to slow down my order rates.

youreadyfreddie Jan 28, 2010 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Aitchly (Post 13255699)
According to the mint, internal accounting showed an odd pattern of purchases. Letters were sent. THEN, the mint checked FT and FW to confirm the evidence they had accumulated and already acted upon. (In the meantime, thousands were helped by this thread). FOI request showed no evidence of congressional complaint from Voldemort, his claims remain unsubstantiated.

The program became limited due to the diligence of the Mint, not to any complaints or any evidence of large orders.

The upshot is, in order to 'buy presidential dollar coins with CC @ face value, free shipping' you (now) need to buy in quantities that are suggested by the mint, or have a valid reason for exceeding those limits.

"Voldemort". Priceless! ^

swintec Jan 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju (Post 13275429)
Approximately 40% of customers are rejecting taking the coins and asking for dollar bills instead

Over the course of the thread, many have said the mint should ditch the dollar bill and force the coins into circulation that way....Why don't you do this in your shop? Keep your dollar bill slot empty and give the coins out, when they ask for a dollar you can simply say you dont have any OR the bank gave you these when you went in for change the other day. You could even say these are the new dollar bills, with a smile.

mikeef Jan 28, 2010 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by swintec (Post 13275862)
Over the course of the thread, many have said the mint should ditch the dollar bill and force the coins into circulation that way....Why don't you do this in your shop? Keep your dollar bill slot empty and give the coins out, when they ask for a dollar you can simply say you dont have any OR the bank gave you these when you went in for change the other day. You could even say these are the new dollar bills, with a smile.

Because the customers don't like them and he doesn't want them going elsewhere.

Mike

mrx900 Jan 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Chase the burlgars

so is it pretty much concrete knowledge to not order coins using any Chase cards? or did the two people on here that got their accounts canceled/closed ordered a substantial amount of coins that their radar picked up?

beachmiles Jan 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Chase

I've done some light usage since December, on my Chase CC. $5,000 + $1500+ 500+$500. Points posted Okay.

Last year , when things were hot, I did not have the Chase card. Back then all Citi and Amex. Greed Kills

Carl Johnson Jan 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 13276126)

Mike

Yep, if the customers don't want them, they don't want them. I don't understand why they don't want them, these things are so much handier than bills, but people want what they want. If it's worth the bother, he could ask if they want all or some of the change in coins. I bought a pinball machine on Ebay and had a guy come in to check it out and help me set it up; when he gave me the invoice I asked if he wanted some of the money in coins. He said I could pay the whole thing in coins, so I gave him a nice mixture. He was looking at them, saying they were cool. So that worked out great.

swintec Jan 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 13276126)

Mike

Not necessarily. If a cashier is out of quarters and they have to give you your change using dimes and nickels to make up for the quarters do you stop shopping at the establishment? In my experience, you think about it for 3 seconds at the register and then as you walk out you forget about it. In the end you simply end up with more change. In the case of these coins, the customer is most likely going to use these for there next small purchase to get rid of them, which is what is wanted anyways. If a cashier gave you a $2 bill in place of two ones, do you refuse it because it isnt "popular"?

I am not saying to tell customers you are out of dollar bills every day as they will eventually catch on...but what if you did it twice a week at different times for a few hours. Would be a good experiment to at least try. To think a customer isnt going to wash his car anymore at ones establishment because they were given there change in something they arent used to is preposterous. Who knows, maybe that car wash will become known as the place with the cool dollar coins. ;)

Happy Jan 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by swintec (Post 13275862)

Are you suggesting he alienates his customers and risks losing business in this economy to force those who dont want to take coins as change?

You must have never run a small business that is heavily centered with customer satisfaction. Hint: there is no exclusivity for car wash business.

What a brilliant idea of yours!

Oh and YES, customers can refuse to take your $2 bills as change and simply say, "If you dont have the denomination I want, can you VOID the transaction?"

What would you do? Tell the customer to take a hike?

aviators99 Jan 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 13276415)
Chase the burglars

It's US Bank that are really the burglars! They actually make their X% on the transaction, and don't pass these benefits on to their cardholders. At least Chase doesn't do that.

WebNomad Jan 28, 2010 6:52 pm

I am now simply buying these coins to spend them rather than deposit them into the bank. I need to spend cash on a daily basis anyway, and I am glad that my coin purchase is still rewarded with the points by my credit card company, so essentially all my monetary expenditures earn rewards now.

BakerStreet Jan 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson (Post 13277220)
Yep, if the customers don't want them, they don't want them. I don't understand why they don't want them, these things are so much handier than bills, but people want what they want.

The problem with the dollar coin is that it is too similar in size and shape to the quarter. 'One euro' coins and 'one pound' coins are unique in their respective currencies. There is no chance of confusing them with other coins in your pocket.