Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Sep 18, 08, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, Hyatt Globalist,MGM Noir,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by cepheid View Post
By that token, banks presumably do not have to accept all forms of legal tender, since there is no debt incurred. However, a bank isn't really a merchant, and they're regulated differently, so I don't really know whether or not they can turn away specific forms of currency.
Citibank in Chicago all but refuses coin deposits. Unless the customer is a CitiGold, they will assess a 5% charge for coin deposits. Coins have to be unwrapped.

Now say I walk into the nearest Citibank branch and say I want to make a mortgage payment would they have to accept the coins as payment? I may try this on October 1 and see what happens.
Old Sep 18, 08, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by cepheid View Post
See the IRS Manual on Cash Payments.
Got to love that the manual says that some TACs get to sign using pseudonyms.

That said, I'll be spending some of my new Andrew Jackson coins today in multiple states (KY, MO, and TN).
Old Sep 18, 08, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Same Boat

I'm in the same boat too. Mine were shipped same time 9/3 and since then nada. Also arranged them to be sent to PO Box to make sure that if they were "lost" it would be easily proven.

I do really find it ridiculous that there is so much variability in when people receive their shipments or by what carrier. As a business model, this is horribly run. A few lost shipments and the whole profit margin is shot, no?

I am waiting until 10/3 but I have my form all filled out and ready to mail should my shipment not arrive by 10/3 (which is the absolute date the Mint has told me to wait)

http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcsstore/C...US/CNRForm.pdf

Originally Posted by jcwik View Post
Please reassure me. I ordered two boxes a while ago and they were shipped September 3. The tracking # says there is no such number. They were sent to my P.O. box registered. I called today and the man said that some of his customers have said they took four weeks. He said the post office cannot track them. Is two weeks a long enough time? Should I be worried? Thanks for all the amazing things I've learned here. Now I want my money.
Judi
Old Sep 18, 08, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post
I'm in the same boat too. Mine were shipped same time 9/3 and since then nada. Also arranged them to be sent to PO Box to make sure that if they were "lost" it would be easily proven.

]
Can you explain how using a PO box helps in this regard?
Old Sep 18, 08, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.9MM, HH DMD
Ok, I've started ordering using my wifes card (actually she's an AU on my account), and JQA and Jackson have reached 'order in process' state -- which is a good sign, as it's no longer 'on hold'.

But, a more recent order of Washington's ($500) has now been canceled.

The actual reason says:

Line was cancelled

What does that mean? No more Washington's? I go to the catalog, and there are Washington's available for sale. Is this some weird code that indicates they already have my address on file and thus they canceled the order?

I'm thinking of trying again, this time adding the Madison's as they are now available again.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 18, 08, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Po box

Particularly useful if you have a small PO Box that your shipment cannot fit into. They fill out a "pickup" USPS form and slip it into your box. If the shipment is never received a form is never filled out and no record of the form exists in their archives.

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Can you explain how using a PO box helps in this regard?
Old Sep 18, 08, 2:39 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
I wish I had heard of the problems with PO boxes a bit earlier... I had my last order switched to my PO box figuring it would be safer (the first two shipments were dropped on my front porch). Maybe it looks like shipping to a PO box might not be such a good idea. I assumed they would ship USPS, because they offer PO box delivery and because they are the US Mint! Oh well, I guess I'll find out how it worked for me eventually...
Old Sep 18, 08, 5:44 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
from bad to worse!

I am the guy who when I hear US Mint causes me to shake uncontrollably

I have stated in earlier posts my ordeal with this outfit...And just when I thought everything was cleared up (I placed my order in early June!) I get a letter today from the US Mint Numismatics Accounting Division starting out with "Reference is made to a duplicate credit issued to your credit card account erronously" and on and on....I am now so darn dazed and confused on the history of this ordeal and I just don't have time to deal with it...I am going to wait for my credit card statement to see if I can make sense of this....

They can keep their darn coins to bail out another firm based in New York as far as this mileage junkie is concerned....I obviously have my (low?) threshold limits...Some who know me may disagree about this...Good luck to all and may you have no crap like I got for 500 miles!
Old Sep 18, 08, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, SPG, Hyatt, Marriott
I appreciate the replies and actually do feel a little better since others are in the same boat. We do not have home mail delivery where I live due to massive amounts of snow. If a company sends US Mail to my house it goes to a cluster box a couple of miles away. This is often not reliable. UPS, etc., of course deliver to my house. But I thought the P.O. would be safer as did the customer service person I talked to during the time the order was on the famous hold. So every day I hurry to the P.O. and am disappointed. That non working tracking number is the real mystery. I'll let you know when (hopefully) mine show and would appreciate the same from others. Thanks.
Judi
Old Sep 18, 08, 7:57 pm

my experience:

8/12 ordered $500 of James Monroe
8/20 shipped from US Mint
9/8 USPS delivered to home, left note to pick up at post office
9/10 picked up registered, signature required delivery

but mine came to Hawaii, so ymmv.
Old Sep 18, 08, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by OnAMileHigh View Post
Citibank in Chicago all but refuses coin deposits. Unless the customer is a CitiGold, they will assess a 5% charge for coin deposits. Coins have to be unwrapped. .
Come to NYC on a MR and deposit them at a CitiBank here...so far I've had no problems

Oh wait the TSA has issues with rolls of coins in carryons...my bag once pulled for a hand search 'cause of that. the TSA agent informed me that rolled coins closely resemble a gun barrel
Old Sep 18, 08, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA gold, SPG Plat,
usps? My UPS driver brought mine... and my wife's... and my son's...
Old Sep 18, 08, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by Adirondacker (Post #724) View Post
Thats odd

Order Date: 09/15/2008 at 11:45 PM

Order Status: Your order request has been shipped.

JOHN ADAMS $250 BOX $1 COINS 1 $250.00 $250.00 Item is no longer available.
This happened to my wife a couple of months ago. Since her credit card was never charged, we determined that the “no longer available” Item Status superceded the generic “request has been shipped” Order Status.

Just today her sister had another erroneous “shipped” Order Status while the Item Status is now “Line was cancelled,” a change from the former “in stock and reserved.” As long as no credit cards are charged, such phantom “shipped” orders are just a relatively harmless occasional glitch in the system.
Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post #754) View Post
Ok, I've started ordering using my wifes card (actually she's an AU on my account), and JQA and Jackson have reached 'order in process' state -- which is a good sign, as it's no longer 'on hold'.

But, a more recent order of Washington's ($500) has now been canceled.

The actual reason says:

Line was cancelled

What does that mean? No more Washington's? I go to the catalog, and there are Washington's available for sale. Is this some weird code that indicates they already have my address on file and thus they canceled the order?

I'm thinking of trying again, this time adding the Madison's as they are now available again.

Any thoughts?
My nephew-in-law just had his Order Status changed to “order in process,” too. I think that's a good sign, that shipment and credit card charging are imminent.

There is some discussion upthread about the meaning of “Line was cancelled.”

If you look at the Terms and Conditions, the U.S. Mint has the right to cancel orders randomly for any reason. They seem to do this when orders outstrip availability, or for other reasons such as declined credit card charges, suspected excess multiple shipments to same address, etc. This is their miscellaneous cancellation provision.

“If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!”

Be aware that even cancelled transactions lower the “available credit line” on the credit card for a while -- two weeks with AmEx -- because the U.S. Mint often (usually?) neglects to inform the bank when cancelling orders.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Sep 18, 08 at 10:21 pm
Old Sep 19, 08, 12:49 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.9MM, HH DMD
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
There is some discussion upthread about the meaning of “Line was cancelled.”

If you look at the Terms and Conditions, the U.S. Mint has the right to cancel orders randomly for any reason. They seem to do this when orders outstrip availability, or for other reasons such as declined credit card charges, suspected excess multiple shipments to same address, etc. This is their miscellaneous cancellation provision.

“If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!”

Be aware that even cancelled transactions lower the “available credit line” on the credit card for a while -- two weeks with AmEx -- because the U.S. Mint often (usually?) neglects to inform the bank when cancelling orders.
Yeah, definitely going to try again.

No worries about the CL on this card, there's ample limit
Old Sep 19, 08, 1:16 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by newlin99 View Post
usps? My UPS driver brought mine... and my wife's... and my son's...
For shipments to a P.O. Box they use a different carrier since UPS is not able to deliver to the Post Office.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: