Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jan 19, 10, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
My son tried to use a roll to buy gas at AM PM and was turned down due to "lack of space". They could have given them out as change in the next hour. There is a serious lack of marketing for the use of coins. We would be happy to "circulate" them instead of depositing them if we didn't have to be squeamish as to if a merchant would accept them or not.
Old Jan 19, 10, 1:02 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Originally Posted by PatMike View Post
My son tried to use a roll to buy gas at AM PM and was turned down due to "lack of space". They could have given them out as change in the next hour. There is a serious lack of marketing for the use of coins. We would be happy to "circulate" them instead of depositing them if we didn't have to be squeamish as to if a merchant would accept them or not.
I used them at my local AM PM this a.m. I gave the cashier two rolls and then got my $13.XX change in bills and small change. I also had luck using them at Win-Co, a low rent supermarket chain that does not take credit cards. And got my change back in bills/coins. In fact, I've never had a problem.

But as always, YMMV.
Old Jan 19, 10, 3:08 pm

Programs: SWA CP, AA Gold 1mm, UA, CO
So, you're using one jerky at the corner store as a reason to abuse the program?
Old Jan 19, 10, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by mgirdley View Post
So, you're using one jerky at the corner store as a reason to abuse the program?
No - I, and everyone else on this forum, have been (what you call) "abusing" the program since before the new FTers showed up in Dec 2009......
Old Jan 19, 10, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
My local coin dealer was quite amused when he learned of his potential 2% discount. He liked my 2010's at face. Will sell at $35/roll.

Would becoming a laundramat partner make purchases less immoral? Seems this has been discussed.
Old Jan 19, 10, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
No - I, and everyone else on this forum, have been (what you call) "abusing" the program since before the new FTers showed up in Dec 2009......
Interesting that we have a sudden influx of new members with single digit post counts and join dates in 12/09, isn't? Even more interesting that this thread seems to be the only place these same people post.

I guess we can thank the WSJ for that.
Old Jan 19, 10, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg View Post
Interesting that we have a sudden influx of new members with single digit post counts and join dates in 12/09, isn't? Even more interesting that this thread seems to be the only place these same people post.

I guess we can thank the WSJ for that.
Very interesting, eh?
Old Jan 19, 10, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
It's currency, how can they deny its use unless they have posted signage that says no coin or something like that
Old Jan 19, 10, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by GoingAway View Post
It's currency, how can they deny its use unless they have posted signage that says no coin or something like that
Because a merchant may refuse specific forms of legal tender so long as the debt is cotemporaneous with the purchase. A restaurant where you pay first, then eat, can do this; a restaurant where you pay after eating cannot. In the gas situation, if the payment occurred before pumping, they can legally refuse coins; if the gas was already pumped, technically they could not refuse the coins... but who exactly is going to enforce it? I doubt even most FTers would wait at the store to call whatever local chamber of commerce official might consider investigating...
Old Jan 19, 10, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
When people say they pay with rolls, do they literarily pay with rolled coins or unroll first? I need to buy a money order from the post office tomorrow to pay for a visa and was wondering what the most effective etiquette is.
Old Jan 19, 10, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA PRO 1MM, BA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by enfuego View Post
When people say they pay with rolls, do they literarily pay with rolled coins or unroll first?
Whenever I use these for larger purchases (bulk dry cleaning, long cab rides, etc.), I simply hand over entire rolls. So far, no one has questioned this.
Old Jan 19, 10, 10:15 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
When people say they pay with rolls, do they literarily pay with rolled coins or unroll first? I need to buy a money order from the post office tomorrow to pay for a visa and was wondering what the most effective etiquette is.
I offered two rolls ($50) at the gas station to fill up the truck... the attendant didn't want to take it, for two reasons: 1. too heavy to carry around for him, and 2. no customers want to take coins as change.

--Russ
Old Jan 19, 10, 10:35 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by cepheid View Post
Because a merchant may refuse specific forms of legal tender so long as the debt is cotemporaneous with the purchase. A restaurant where you pay first, then eat, can do this; a restaurant where you pay after eating cannot. In the gas situation, if the payment occurred before pumping, they can legally refuse coins; if the gas was already pumped, technically they could not refuse the coins... but who exactly is going to enforce it? I doubt even most FTers would wait at the store to call whatever local chamber of commerce official might consider investigating...
Perhaps you can count out the coins, leave them on the counter and turn around and leave. Not much they can do it you pay them.
Old Jan 19, 10, 10:39 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JerseyVics View Post
I offered two rolls ($50) at the gas station to fill up the truck... the attendant didn't want to take it, for two reasons: 1. too heavy to carry around for him, and 2. no customers want to take coins as change.

--Russ
Similar to what Mrpickles said, I'd have said "this is all I have. Do you want it or not?"
Old Jan 20, 10, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
I offer rolls; it's much easier to unroll rolls than to roll loose coins.

Only once has that been a problem, where someone said he wasn't allowed to take rolled coins (but he could take loose ones since those could be counted).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: