Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jan 18, 10, 12:35 pm
  #7516  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Programs: Credit Cards
Posts: 3,009
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
Has anyone else experienced this?

Has Chase identified other kinds of purchases as "not being used as intended" or just the mint? Thanks.

WHOA!

how many boxes did you buy?

I just submitted my order for 2 boxes charged to my BA Chase Visa... hope I don't loose the 50k bonus simply because of $500 bux I tried to use towards the $2k purchase.

let us know! please

--Russ
TrueBlueFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 18, 10, 1:12 pm
  #7517  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,201
Originally Posted by JerseyVics View Post
WHOA!

how many boxes did you buy?

I just submitted my order for 2 boxes charged to my BA Chase Visa... hope I don't loose the 50k bonus simply because of $500 bux I tried to use towards the $2k purchase.

let us know! please

--Russ
Had no prob and ordered my 8 boxes, BUT I also used the CC for some everyday purchases. Now that the 100k is in my acct, seems the CC will be gathering some dust for a couple of more months before going bye-bye.

I also waited till after my 1st statement closed before ordering any boxes
craz is offline  
Old Jan 18, 10, 1:18 pm
  #7518  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW/SEA
Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Posts: 2,045
Originally Posted by JerseyVics View Post
WHOA!

how many boxes did you buy?

I just submitted my order for 2 boxes charged to my BA Chase Visa... hope I don't loose the 50k bonus simply because of $500 bux I tried to use towards the $2k purchase.

let us know! please

--Russ
I hope that's not what happened to me! I reached the 2K limit but $500 was the coins. I got the points posted not the 50K bonus though.. but someone said they waited a while before the second 50K posted.
aaron1262 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 10, 1:24 pm
  #7519  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Programs: Credit Cards
Posts: 3,009
I too waited until first statement closed before purchasing my second batch of coins... Hopefully since its such a small amount it will be considered legitimate enough.

--Russ
TrueBlueFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 18, 10, 4:12 pm
  #7520  
bdd
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 79
I finally gave in and went to the bank with some coins... deposited them. The lady wondering how I got so many coins. I just said... well it's Chinese New Year almost! =) Haha... anyway, I definitely didn't deposit them "immediately"!
bdd is offline  
Old Jan 18, 10, 5:18 pm
  #7521  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: bay area, ca
Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Posts: 3,548
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
Has anyone else experienced this?

Has Chase identified other kinds of purchases as "not being used as intended" or just the mint? Thanks.
Yes - mine were closed for opening savings accounts with citi (despite many other charges in past few months). Chase doesn't care
estnet is offline  
Old Jan 19, 10, 10:01 am
  #7522  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 42
Thanks everyone for the info contained in this thread. My first two boxes of Andrew Jackson's showed up today. The NA's are backordered, and show that they'll be shipped the 20th.

How will I distribute? My landlord is getting my coins on the 1st. I'm sure he'll be scratching his head, but hey, it's not like he's going to refuse them.

Here's an idea for where to put them; LOCAL banks: http://moveyourmoney.info/
Josh Streeter is offline  
Old Jan 19, 10, 10:45 am
  #7523  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,271
Originally Posted by Josh Streeter View Post
Here's an idea for where to put them; LOCAL banks: http://moveyourmoney.info/
Since large quantities of these coins are often seen by a bank as a burden and an expense, depositing them with a local bank may be a poor method to support it.
dayone is offline  
Old Jan 19, 10, 10:47 am
  #7524  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California, SMF
Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Posts: 938
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Since large quantities of these coins are often seen by a bank as a burden and an expense, depositing them with a local bank may be a poor method to support it.
...unless you plan to keep them on deposit there.
PatMike is offline  
Old Jan 19, 10, 11:08 am
  #7525  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 30,343
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Since large quantities of these coins are often seen by a bank as a burden and an expense, depositing them with a local bank may be a poor method to support it.
My local bank welcomed them ... They were all smiles for the first 30k or so. Then they got the bill for the armored car transprt!
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Jan 19, 10, 11:31 am
  #7526  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hopefully on a plane...
Posts: 6,580
They are getting a bit more judicious about multiple orders...
WBurcham is offline  
Old Jan 19, 10, 11:48 am
  #7527  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DFW, AA, Hilton
Posts: 16,686
Originally Posted by Josh Streeter View Post
...
How will I distribute? My landlord is getting my coins on the 1st. I'm sure he'll be scratching his head, but hey, it's not like he's going to refuse them.

...
Has anyone tried taking the coins to buy groceries? Obviously many of us would prefer to use credit cards to get miles, but this is one legitimate way to use them and help them get re-distributed.

Obviously this is not helpful to those who order tons of coins, but for those who order small orders, $100 at a time to buy groceries or even gift cards at grocery stores would seem reasonable.
ChaseTheMiles is offline  
Old Jan 19, 10, 11:53 am
  #7528  
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,704
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles View Post
Has anyone tried taking the coins to buy groceries? Obviously many of us would prefer to use credit cards to get miles, but this is one legitimate way to use them and help them get re-distributed.

Obviously this is not helpful to those who order tons of coins, but for those who order small orders, $100 at a time to buy groceries or even gift cards at grocery stores would seem reasonable.
Getting a card with double or triple rewards at grocers seems rather easy. So you'd take your "single rewards" from The Mint and use them where you could easily earn multiple rewards?
IAHtraveler is offline  
Old Jan 19, 10, 11:59 am
  #7529  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California, SMF
Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Posts: 938
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Getting a card with double or triple rewards at grocers seems rather easy. So you'd take your "single rewards" from The Mint and use them where you could easily earn multiple rewards?
HH Surpass Amex gives 6 points per $ at grocery stores.
PatMike is offline  
Old Jan 19, 10, 12:29 pm
  #7530  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Near ORD
Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles View Post
Has anyone tried taking the coins to buy groceries? Obviously many of us would prefer to use credit cards to get miles, but this is one legitimate way to use them and help them get re-distributed.

Obviously this is not helpful to those who order tons of coins, but for those who order small orders, $100 at a time to buy groceries or even gift cards at grocery stores would seem reasonable.
The only grocery store I have ever used my coins at is Aldi. Since they don't take credit cards, I find it perfect for using the coins. Of course I don't spend too much at Aldi, only $20 or $30 at a time, so it's not too cumbersome to bring the coins in.
blase is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: