Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:35 pm

My order for John Adams and Andrew Jackson just went to Reserved, and my card got authed. My order for Van Burens are still backordered. I'm having a blast spending these things. One valet parking attendant told me today that they use them in the vending machines.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: SWA CP, AA Gold 1mm, UA, CO
Many (most?) bulk buyers of these coins are doing things the right way. I've distributed $6k already giving them out as change -- almost all to people who are going to put them into circulation directly.

This thread will get read. I hope the bragging doesn't end things (even at the 20 box max) and people stop abusing it.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
I just had an interesting experience at the bank. While I was making a deposit (not coins), two of the tellers were chuckling about a little old lady who had just deposited $6k in presidential dollar coins. Before I finished up, the lady came back in and went to the teller next to me to deposit $1k more. The coins were packaged in a single long flat white box with holes in the top. Has anyone else seen them come that way?

I'm fairly sure that the lady was doing some sort of purchase/deposit plan as she was keeping track of which president was in each of the boxes that she deposited. But how was she getting $1k of each president in a single box? Also, while I was finishing up, the manager warned her about structuring as she indicated that she had several more boxes to deposit.

Andyandy
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by andyandy
I just had an interesting experience at the bank. While I was making a deposit (not coins), two of the tellers were chuckling about a little old lady who had just deposited $6k in presidential dollar coins. Before I finished up, the lady came back in and went to the teller next to me to deposit $1k more. The coins were packaged in a single long flat white box with holes in the top. Has anyone else seen them come that way?

I'm fairly sure that the lady was doing some sort of purchase/deposit plan as she was keeping track of which president was in each of the boxes that she deposited. But how was she getting $1k of each president in a single box? Also, while I was finishing up, the manager warned her about structuring as she indicated that she had several more boxes to deposit.

Andyandy
She definately one of those money launderers!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:11 am

The coins were packaged in a single long flat white box with holes in the top. Has anyone else seen them come that way?
Mine are all brown boxes of $250 for NA.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
The Burger King drive thru knows me from the coins, they love them.
JudyJFLA
But...doesn't the BK take CCs? I have to be really careful not to use a handful of dollar coins on transactions for which I would have otherwise used a points-earning card...sort of defeats the purpose!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Andy2
The 2010 N.A.s have moved from backordered to In Process, for me at least.

Soon FTs will attempt to order another round of 20 boxes of 2010 N.A.s, with shipping to the same address. Perhaps you will be one of them. Then we will know if the limits are being enforced, or are instead "suggestions".
Done, and yes, the first order was delivered today, but I received an e-mail (also today) canceling the second order.

Past enforcement has not resulted in account closures. Excess orders are occasionally cancelled and the rule violator is allowed to attempt a repeated violation at a later time. Sometime the repeat violator has better success with the subsequent order (than he did with the cancelled order).
Will try later...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Aha, it must be mr. pickle's mother
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I don't bother for my $3 BK purchase, but you will be proud to hear that for McDonalds I buy the $50 arch card with CC then register it with Upromise for the whopping .50 bonus to the account. I did receive the miles/points/cash for the coin purchase so it is still the same as a charge in the first place.
JudyJFLA

Originally Posted by ehallison
But...doesn't the BK take CCs? I have to be really careful not to use a handful of dollar coins on transactions for which I would have otherwise used a points-earning card...sort of defeats the purpose!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by Andy2
The 2010 N.A.s have moved from backordered to In Process, for me at least.

Soon FTs will attempt to order another round of 20 boxes of 2010 N.A.s, with shipping to the same address. Perhaps you will be one of them. Then we will know if the limits are being enforced, or are instead "suggestions".
Don't you think they represent that the 20 box limit is per product code and not for all coin orders combined? I would believe that you anre now limited to 20 boxes of 2010, 2011, 2012 etc.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Aha, it must be mr. pickle's mother
My mother can lift more coins than your mother.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just had an interesting experience at the bank. While I was making a deposit (not coins), two of the tellers were chuckling about a little old lady who had just deposited $6k in presidential dollar coins. ...
Grandma pickles?

When I'm that old, I'd like to still be mentally sharp and physically able like her to make coin deposits.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:19 am

FAQ Clarification please

How many boxes can I order?

Currently, you are limited to 20 boxes ($5,000) unless you send The Mint an email with justification for your larger quantity.

What must be done to go beyond that limit?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: Credit Cards
first box of $250 arrived today

for those that are missing their coins... this box sent via FedEx was simply left at the door unattended. I was waiting for the delivery today then decided to go to the park, nearly tripped over the box on my way out.

the two other boxes I ordered were shipped via UPS and status says signature required
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by emaij
What must be done to go beyond that limit?
The Mint's intent of the program is to get the $1 coins in circulation. You need to demonstrate to them that you'll help them meet that goal. I read of a laundry operator using them as change getting an exception.

With so many people buying, they appear to be limiting quantities for distribution to slow down "instant-depositors." So, getting an exception appears a moot point until the buzz dies down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.