Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:35 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Originally Posted by mikeef
Ahh, see that's where we're different. I bank with Bank of America, and they annoy me for free!

Mike
You are not the only one they annoy! If it will really annoy them I will do it. ned
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
I do use $1 coins and $2 notes on the odd times that I use cash (well, some of the time).
Speaking of $2 bills, anyone know where I can get some?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I have to ask... how often do people see $1 coins in the U.S? Will there ever be a day when the $1 note is phased out?
Sometimes we go to Ted's Montana Grill for lunch and they have a "gimmick" where they offer change back in $1 coins and $2 bills.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Speaking of $2 bills, anyone know where I can get some?
I got a $2 Susan B Anthony at the recycling place. Nice recycling.

Back to the Pres $1 coin: I really like the concept of charging coins to a mileage CC and no shipping cost, but we already know the US Govt is not too clever.

Coins are HEAVY! Not like you're going to carry around a $200 box So they don't work for me for travel, when I weigh my paperback books to make sure I can lift my rollerboard into the overhead. And they can't be changed for non-US currencies, and would be really tacky and heavy for a tip on a $150 dinner - besides I get miles when including the tip on my Amex card.

No public transportation where I live, no parking meters, no Starbucks, no tipping, so using coins only works for me at drive thrus with say a $7 purchase, maybe an occasional purchase at a farmers market or swap meet? But hey, no farmers' market or swap meet withing 20 miles.

When stuck in the Mexican drive-thru or In-n-Out I spend the time in my car searching out change to get rid of to lighten my purse and the pockets in the car. Can't imagine going into the roll of dollars from the Mint to take 7 presidential coins down the street for Combo #3.

I estimate it would take 1.5 years and a lot of attention to detail to unload a $200 box of Pres coins with my current lifestyle.

What are they good for? The Tooth Fairy comes to mind! But, wait... I don't have 40 grandchildren each about to loose 5 teeth ...

Anytway, I can rack up a humungous number of miles just buying gas!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by lili
I got a $2 Susan B Anthony at the recycling place. Nice recycling.
I was asking about the paper variety of the $2 bill.

Back to the Pres $1 coin: I really like the concept of charging coins to a mileage CC and no shipping cost, but we already know the US Govt is not too clever.

Coins are HEAVY! Not like you're going to carry around a $200 box So they don't work for me for travel, when I weigh my paperback books to make sure I can lift my rollerboard into the overhead. And they can't be changed for non-US currencies, and would be really tacky and heavy for a tip on a $150 dinner - besides I get miles when including the tip on my Amex card.

No public transportation where I live, no parking meters, no Starbucks, no tipping, so using coins only works for me at drive thrus with say a $7 purchase, maybe an occasional purchase at a farmers market or swap meet? But hey, no farmers' market or swap meet withing 20 miles.

When stuck in the Mexican drive-thru or In-n-Out I spend the time in my car searching out change to get rid of to lighten my purse and the pockets in the car. Can't imagine going into the roll of dollars from the Mint to take 7 presidential coins down the street for Combo #3.

I estimate it would take 1.5 years and a lot of attention to detail to unload a $200 box of Pres coins with my current lifestyle.

What are they good for? The Tooth Fairy comes to mind! But, wait... I don't have 40 grandchildren each about to loose 5 teeth ...

Anytway, I can rack up a humungous number of miles just buying gas!
The original idea was not to spend the coins, but to return them to your bank for a refund, thus earning 250 (or more) frequent flyer miles or other reward points per box, for free.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
The original idea was not to spend the coins, but to return them to your bank for a refund, thus earning 250 (or more) frequent flyer miles or other reward points per box, for free.
Hmm.. Guess I was reading posts 5, 8, 9 etc, etc.

What do you mean by a refund? Dollar bills? Fives? Wouldn't it make more sense to just deposit the coins to your account then bill pay your CC?
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:31 am
arc

Programs: AA ExPt 1MM, SPG Au
Given that I quarterly go to harass my local bank acquiring coins (I'm collecting at least 250 of each President with the intent to fill a chest with them at some point) (yes, I'm a geek), I find this personally extraordinarily useful. Muchas gracias.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:28 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
[QUOTE=broadwayblue]" Speaking of $2 bills, anyone know where I can get some?"

Ask your bank teller. (while you're dropping off those coins )

/.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:27 am

If you live in the Northeast, Commerce bank offers free coin counting machines. Simply pour the coins into the machine and it gives a receipt that the teller redeems. You don't even need an account at the bank. I have redeemed my children's accumulated coins of $750. or so a few times. Commerce even gives the kids free piggy banks!
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
What are they good for? The Tooth Fairy comes to mind!
Someone in the US Air forum suggested using them to pay the new $2 charge for an onboard soda.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:25 am

Hmm.. Guess I was reading posts 5, 8, 9 etc, etc.

What do you mean by a refund? Dollar bills? Fives? Wouldn't it make more sense to just deposit the coins to your account then bill pay your CC?
Yes, I guess I could have said that to be clearer.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:27 am

[QUOTE=CaveatEmpty;9878280]
" Speaking of $2 bills, anyone know where I can get some?"

Ask your bank teller. (while you're dropping off those coins )
I guess I'll try that...although I don't really ever use a bank teller. But I did order some coins, so maybe I'll ask the teller if I can swap them out for a stack of $2 bills.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:32 am

I know it might not seem like it, but this program is actually hugely profitable for the Mint. Each dollar coin costs 18 cents to make and they are selling it to the public for a dollar. The alternative would be for them to sit in the vault until the the Federal Reserve system purchased them after receiving an order from a bank, which may be forever. At that point they could claim the dollar face value of the coin. Effectively the mint is trading a liability (their 18 cents for the coin plus storage cost) for a full dollar minus transaction fees. Good deal for them, good deal for us.

Seigniorage in action. I think I will buy 250, some I will just take to the bank, but others I will use for small purchases to encourage circulation. Moving to dollar coins instead of bills just makes financial sense.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
I'm in for $500. Just a couple of observations. The shipping at first appears to be charged to the order until you get to the page that shows what total is being billed and then it says there is no charge for shipping. Also I wondered if the thing is on backorder for 2 weeks and the shipping is said to take 1 to 2 weeks then when do they charge the credit card? Answer is: at the time of shipping.

Great find.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 3:21 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Does anyone know how these are shipped; USPS, FedEx, etc?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.