Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jan 14, 10, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by H8 2 Travel View Post
I did not see this in this thread. This is an article from a coin vending trade association.

http://www.americancoinop.com/articl...rticleID=18056

The interesting statement to me is that the Fed now has 691 million coins, up about tenfold over 2007. Clearly, FT folks have not added that volume to the system. The dollar coin is a miserable failure for circulation, thus far.
Correct. Nothing has been done to entice the public to circulate these coins. My experience is been that once I started circulating them, I found it to be fun. Perhaps there's some way that merchants can be encouraged to use them as change, instead of depositing them right into the bank. However, I'm fairly certain that until dollar notes are limited, there's no incentive.
Old Jan 14, 10, 1:55 pm

Smile

How about setting up a program that will send out coins, with freee postage, and allow purchasers to use their CC?

Wait, maybe that has been done already...

Since they want to issue the coins, they could send out 10% of every tax refund in coinage instead of a check. Presto, instant circulation.
Old Jan 14, 10, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FFLASV View Post
My wife and I both received emails that our Sacagawea NA orders ($500 each) will be delivered tomorrow (one to our home address, the other to my business address). I checked the tracking numbers and confirmed that they are on the way. Nothing yet on the 2010 NA orders, but nice to see something being shipped.
Minus the "wife" part... same here on the Sacagawea coins! However, I ordered the allowed amount of 2010 NA coins yesterday only to get a cancellation note today! It's my first order of them. Maybe because I ordered tons of NA & Pres coins before... Anyone else in this boat?
Old Jan 14, 10, 2:22 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
How about setting up a program that will send out coins, with freee postage, and allow purchasers to use their CC?

Since they want to issue the coins, they could send out 10% of every tax refund in coinage instead of a check. Presto, instant circulation.
That works great with direct deposit, my coins can go immediately to the bank.
Old Jan 14, 10, 2:47 pm

That depends on how you define circulation. It would be no different than the current program. Banks and stores don't issue them as change, so they go right to the fed, no matter how they arrive to consumers/merchants.
Old Jan 14, 10, 4:56 pm
Original Member

Location: UA UGS 1K; US Chairman: AA Platinum: Marriott Platinum Premier; *wood Gold
My 2001 Sacagawea orders arrived today. I also just noticed that my 2010 NA orders show as shipped today with tracking numbers.
Old Jan 14, 10, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FFLASV View Post
My 2001 Sacagawea orders arrived today. I also just noticed that my 2010 NA orders show as shipped today with tracking numbers.
My 2001 and 2010 NA Sacagawea orders both shipped today, in the same package as near as I can tell. I placed my order around 1:30 PM on 1/4.
Old Jan 14, 10, 8:03 pm

Au contraire

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Great article! 600 million more coins - looks like if someone gets the message, the end is nigh. That's a lot of excess coins. . . .
[emphasis added]

The presidential coins will be produced up throught 2016 -- that's when all the presidents will be issued at the current release dates of the mint.

Plenty of coins/miles/points coming our way.
Old Jan 14, 10, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
[emphasis added]

The presidential coins will be produced up throught 2016 -- that's when all the presidents will be issued at the current release dates of the mint.

Plenty of coins/miles/points coming our way.
1) Not all president coins have made into this program. Van Buren for example only was available very briefly just recently, almost a year after its initial release date. Since its a few days brief appearance, it disappeared completely from the list.

2) The $1 direct ship program as it is today, may not last into future. Nobody knows of course.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 15, 10 at 12:24 am
Old Jan 14, 10, 9:20 pm

who said

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
1) Not all president coins have made into this program. Van Buren for example only was available very briefly just recently, almost a year after its initial release date. Since its a few days brief appearance, it disappeared completely from the list.

2) The $1 direct ship program as it is today, may not last into future. Nobody knows of course.
anything about the direct ship program?

the op wuz talking about the issuance of presidential dollar coins. the number of coins produced is mandated by congress, and congress ain't about to tell them to "punch out coins for all the even numbere prez's up to 16 and then stop".

repeat - the presidential coins will be cranked out up to and including 2016
Old Jan 14, 10, 9:26 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA View Post
Heaven help me, I just ordered the 2010 NA's
I'm Judy and I'm a Coinaholic.
I was in withdrawal and getting the DT's (dollar tremens)
I like shiny things that look back at me.
My SPG Amex was getting jealous since his business brother was out funding bank accounts.JudyJFLA
I think I need therapy too. I broke down and ordered another $5500 in coins on a SGP AMEX. It is JudyJFLA's fault. She made me stray.

How about a therapy session for coin collectors in Hawaii this spring?

A Coin Do? LOL
Old Jan 14, 10, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by mrpickles View Post

A Coin Do? LOL
There currently are a few meet-up threads on different forums. How about a sticky here for a coin meet-up thread.
Old Jan 15, 10, 12:01 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Wink

Originally Posted by mrpickles View Post
I think I need therapy too. I broke down and ordered another $5500 in coins on a SGP AMEX. It is JudyJFLA's fault. She made me stray.

How about a therapy session for coin collectors in Hawaii this spring?

A Coin Do? LOL
Just like the extra quarters for the Virgin Islands, Guam, ect, we could all get together for the release of the Hawaiian King Kamehameha Dollar!! It is coming out right after the Jefferson Davis Confederate Dollar!

JudyJFLA

There is a Sheraton Princess hotel on the beach for all those SPG Points!
Old Jan 15, 10, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by PatMike View Post
There currently are a few meet-up threads on different forums. How about a sticky here for a coin meet-up thread.
That is a great idea. I am sure there are a lot of folks that would love to meet mrpickles.
Old Jan 15, 10, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
who said anything about the direct ship program?

the op wuz talking about the issuance of presidential dollar coins. the number of coins produced is mandated by congress, and congress ain't about to tell them to "punch out coins for all the even numbere prez's up to 16 and then stop".

repeat - the presidential coins will be cranked out up to and including 2016
You said: Plenty of coins/miles/points coming our way.

Plenty of coins can come but they may not produce the miles / points in such manner.

If you want to play tongue in cheek, then you should NOT have the second paragraph in your post.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 15, 10 at 12:28 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: