Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
The universe is stranger than you can imagine.

My condo fees plus real estate taxes are over $25,000/year. If I find a way to pay Income Taxes in cash, that's a huge win.
The biggest single items in our household budget are the Condo Maintenance Fee, and the individual health insurance premiums.

Unfortunately neither can be paid by CC, nor cash. Has to be either check or ACH (for the insurance, which saves me $5 a month over paying by check.)

If only these 2 can be paid by CC...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I thought this is funny.... I just went into a branch of a national bank that I do not normally use. I used it, rather than my normal branches and banks who know me as the coin guy, only because it is next to my client's office and I just wanted to do a small cash deposit to get rid of the extra cash (bills) I have. I decided to add $10 of loose NA coins I have kept initially for the intended use. When the teller saw the coins, he told me it's getting very popular. I responded yes, but they are too heavy to carry too many around. The teller proceeded to ask me if I knew about ordering coins from US Mint.

I was going to play dumb and see what happened. He told me I could order coins from the Mint at cost with my FFP debit card (and flashed my debit card) and get miles. Every time one can order up to $5k. He said he had a friend who had ordered $18k, and the teller himself was also about to start.

My transaction was done, and I left, but feeling funny the bank teller was actively discussing with "new" customers about how to work the system. I wonder if he would tell me that much information if he had known I have been ordering coins from the Mint, too.

Last edited by buschoi; Jan 12, 2010 at 11:57 am Reason: per FTer suggestion
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:51 pm

Does anybody know how to get around the 20 box limit

I am new to the us mint game. Any suggestions on how to get around the 20 box limit? Or is that all we can order per household per year?
How would one go about it if he wanted 20 boxes/month? Thanks much
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by jpamco
I am new to the us mint game. Any suggestions on how to get around the 20 box limit? Or is that all we can order per household per year?
Open up an amusement park and promise to give them out as change as part of a promotion. That's one way around it.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
vending machines

If you own a vending machine company, you can send an email to the mint - they have indicated that if you have a good reason, you can order more than 20 boxes.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:04 pm

does the mint check up on weather you actually own a vending machine biz? thks
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:36 pm
Original Member

The 2010 N.A.s have moved from backordered to In Process, for me at least.

Soon FTs will attempt to order another round of 20 boxes of 2010 N.A.s, with shipping to the same address. Perhaps you will be one of them. Then we will know if the limits are being enforced, or are instead "suggestions".

Past enforcement has not resulted in account closures. Excess orders are occasionally cancelled and the rule violator is allowed to attempt a repeated violation at a later time. Sometime the repeat violator has better success with the subsequent order (than he did with the cancelled order).
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by buschoi
I thought this is funny.... I just went into a branch of a national bank that I do not normally use. I used it, rather than my normal branches and banks who know me as the coin guy, only because it is next to my client's office and I just wanted to do a small cash deposit to get rid of the extra cash (bills) I have. I decided to add $10 of loose NA coins I have kept initially for the intended use. When the teller saw the coins, he told me it's getting very popular. I responded yes, but they are too heavy to carry too many around. The teller proceeded to ask me if I knew about ordering coins from US Mint.

I was going to play dumb and see what happened. He told me I could order coins from the Mint at cost with my FFP debit card (and flashed my debit card) and get miles. Every time one can order up to $5k. He said he had a friend who had ordered $18k, and the teller himself was also about to start.

My transaction was done, and I left, but feeling funny the bank teller was actively discussing with "new" customers about how to work the system. I wonder if he would tell me that much information if he had known I have been ordering coins from the Mint, too.
It's crap like this that will eventually kill this deal for good.

Enjoy it while you can folks, its time is finite.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

does the mint check up on weather you actually own a vending machine biz? thks
Yes, but their due diligence on theme park owners isn't quite as stringent.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:22 pm

I would suggest not asking how to break rules set by the mint. You should be happy that they are still doing the direct ship with all the flack they have gotten in the past months.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I would suggest not asking how to break rules set by the mint. You should be happy that they are still doing the direct ship with all the flack they have gotten in the past months.
Totally agree Astro. +1
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
It's crap like this that will eventually kill this deal for good.
Care to elaborate before you show how disrespectful you are? I am NOT the teller who spread the words out; I did NOT initiate ANY conversation with the teller at all; I pretty much did NOT encourage ordering and wheeling cart load of coins into a branch for immediately deposit either. I have been trying to keep some of them for intended use. What makes YOU feel sharing of real life branch conversation is crap? I am trying to pay you some deserved respect as a long time FTer, but care to tell me what else I should have done better to share my deposit experience? To be truthful, I agree with you I feel the deal will end soon as the words spread.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:20 am

Care to elaborate before you show how disrespectful you are? I am NOT the teller who spread the words out; I did NOT initiate ANY conversation with the teller at all; I pretty much did NOT encourage ordering and wheeling cart load of coins into a branch for immediately deposit either. I have been trying to keep some of them for intended use. What makes YOU feel sharing of real life branch conversation is crap? I am trying to pay you some deserved respect as a long time FTer, but care to tell me what else I should have done better to share my deposit experience? To be truthful, I agree with you I feel the deal will end soon as the words spread.
^^^
I actually enjoyed your story!!!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
I don't think he was putting you at fault for the "crap" but rather the teller who tells random customers who walk in about the US Mint coin deal.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:59 am
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle
Geez, not this again. Remember that the Mint "deal" is all over FatWallet, SlickDeals, Consumerist, the Wall Street Journal, and so forth and so on. Tens of millions of people are "in on it". Or would be, if they weren't terrified of raising the ire of their omniscient Patriot Act-empowered government overlords. I need not remind anyone here that the statistics of the Mint's yearly sales were posted already and only a handful of people even placed orders with them. Major blogs with millions of readers called this a shady scam and just didn't see the potential. So stop freaking out. Most sheeple in this country are too stupid or fearful to get this. I'd say it's more of a problem now that the handful of people ordering did so into the $MM ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.