Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Sep 10, 08, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
I have a fifteen-year-old son with his own Starwood American Express card that he uses for tuition, etc.

But I do not do U.S. Mint orders for him. Why?

The U.S. Mint website says that the user is representing the purchaser to be over 18 years old upon ordering.

Misrepresentation to the federal government over the internet would be wire fraud, a federal crime. I prefer not to commit felonies.

I help out my adult in-laws instead.
this I would agree with... sort of how like in college I would have made or used a fake ID when under 21, but would never have made or used fake money if someone ever had the thought in my world.

there's a difference in what we do that may or may not be against the rules.

that said, there's no reason why the 15 year old or a 9 year old cant RECEIVE coins that have been ordered. AND, if the 15 year old with his own AMEX were to have an adult as an authorized user of a second card on the 15 year old's acct, would that work? If so, try it.

good luck/
Old Sep 10, 08, 12:14 pm

Oddly enough I was just told that I had purchased more than my allottment by a CSR even though I used a NEW CC, name and address (for my parents). I think she was blowing smoke up my @ss.

AND the approval is still sitting on my CC so this is costing me available credit.
Old Sep 10, 08, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
fwiw, I just saw a big sticker on a NYC Metrocard vending machine that proclaimed

"WE ACCEPT AND DISPENSE US PRESIDENTIAL DOLLAR COINS"
Old Sep 10, 08, 6:54 pm
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
Went to Wachovia again this morning for the 4th time. This time, as I was coming toward him, the lone teller was like, "more coins?"

He said that customers like them and that they do not order them from the Fed, so I am their only supplier. ^

I told him that I would not be getting anymore for awhile (Martin Van Buren!).
Old Sep 11, 08, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For nostalgia's sake, my coins get dispursed around Boston's storied Fenway Pahk!...

As planned, I took $75 worth of coins to the baseball game last night. I used $6 and change to ride the train one way into the city from my home town 45 mins north (was not at a spot that had a CC ticket booth) and went to the bar where my friends met me (one of which had been in the city for work and would be giving me my ride home after the game)

I ate and drank on a CC but when we later went to our seats, I bought my first round of expensive but crucial stadium beer with coins. The person at the counter said, "boy, you must have ridden the train in!" as I handed her a roll of $25 and we took out what was owed.

I later did exactly as I had imagined and from where I was sitting, I yelled out I wanted the cracker jacks when the vendor walked down the nearest ramp in the stands and the guy selling them tossed me my bag. To pay him, I then showed him the roll of unopened coins and said "it's $25..." He had wide eyes as I tossed roll #2 to him over a full row of people, who noticed as well

He sent the paper currency change back, which was passed to me by the fans near me.

Later, more beers were had using the coins I still had left over from the earlier round and some of the paper currency, and at the end of the very long game, a slice of pizza. I actually came home with an unopened roll of $25 that I'll simply cash out or use elsewhere. (I was pissed that my friends insisted on buying two other rounds because then I could not use the roll of coins--one of them made quota early so he felt like spending his bonus money on our drinking enjoyment at the game. Darnit! )

Sadly, we lost the baseball game to Tampa Bay, whose still in first, in a game we could have and should have won but we did not score way too many times when we really should have and could have. Earlier on I called it that this game would go into extra innings and when it did, I predicted 13. The game was something over 5hrs and it went 14 innings with us losing 4-2 because we have Mike Timlin, an old pitcher that had been good for the team for many years but really should stop now. Plus, TB just has some darn good pitchin' but lemme tell ya: It IS comforting to know that this time it's baseball without the NY Yankees being a pest anymore cuz they're OUT of the playoff race!

Oh well, we will still make the playoffs and will maybe over take these guys later in Sept. If I go back to Fenway, I will bring more coins. Now I feel we MUST make the playoffs just so I get more chances into October to spend them there if I get more tickets!

MM
Old Sep 11, 08, 3:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bk3day View Post
fwiw, I just saw a big sticker on a NYC Metrocard vending machine that proclaimed

"WE ACCEPT AND DISPENSE US PRESIDENTIAL DOLLAR COINS"
I seem to recall some signage back in May about them... and was rather irritated when the machine refused to take my credit card for the day pass... in fact it gave me back those dollar coins which I dispersed in Central Park for a nice Diet Coke!

I finally had my mom pick up the coins from our local Fed Ex office... one more day and they would have been sent back, so I now get to distribute them in ANC-
Old Sep 11, 08, 4:49 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
I used them at the AutoClub to pay a $6 DMV fee for my Mom's temporary disabled parking placard (she broke here ankle and is stuck in a wheelchair for six weeks).

The woman at the counter said she collects them and took two dollar bills out of her purse to trade for two of the JQA's. Doing my part to help the U.S. Mint!
Old Sep 11, 08, 7:43 am

When in Chicago last weekend, I dropped a few in ramdom homeless peoples cups, it was neat to see the look on their face.
Old Sep 11, 08, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I actually came home with an unopened roll of $25 that I'll simply cash out or use elsewhere. (I was pissed that my friends insisted on buying two other rounds because then I could not use the roll of coins--one of them made quota early so he felt like spending his bonus money on our drinking enjoyment at the game. Darnit! )

Sadly, we lost the baseball game to Tampa Bay, whose still in first, in a game we could have and should have won but we did not score way too many times when we really should have and could have. Earlier on I called it that this game would go into extra innings and when it did, I predicted 13. The game was something over 5hrs and it went 14 innings with us losing 4-2
Next time, do whatever it takes to spend all three rolls.
Old Sep 11, 08, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
Next time, do whatever it takes to spend all three rolls.
Most ballparks cut off the beer too early to do so (even with extra innings).
Old Sep 12, 08, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes, sadly they cut beer off in the 7th, which always posed the arguement for me: if it goes 14 innings, can we get a new 7th?

The answer is no.

Of course, had we won, beers would have been a flowin' elsewhere after the game and instead everyone recognized the huge losses many a bar surrounding the park would face/

We drove home and I fell asleep in the passenger seat. Had we won, that roll of coins would have been tips and beer money and who knows--maybe I would have tossed them unopened into the street just to see what would happen around a drunken post game ballpark after a sick win. (you know, JUST to circulate them)

I guess I'm glad I saved me money
Old Sep 12, 08, 5:49 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Silver, SWA A-list, Hertz 5-star President's Circle
Anyone receive Denver Minted Dollar Coins??

While I intend to spend the majority of the five boxes I just bought, both my father and I are collecting the dollar coins as well. Everything I received in my shipment appears to be Philadelphia Mint. If anyone has Denver Mint Presidential Coins, I would like to trade the Philadelphia Mint version for your Denver Mint rolls.

Other than that, happily spending my way through the shipment. No shortage of opportunities to use them even without all the creative ways listed here!!

Please let me know if you can help!

Thanks.
Old Sep 12, 08, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by GSR View Post
Went to Wachovia again this morning for the 4th time. This time, as I was coming toward him, the lone teller was like, "more coins?" .
No problem depositing $1k at Chase today. They said that if the coins are hand rolled, they have to unroll and count, but if they are machine rolled they can accept as is.
Old Sep 13, 08, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Taking Inventory at the Mint.

Maybe they will find some other Presidents to sell next week. I just ordered 500 John Quincy Adams. I got this message:

No Expedited Shipping 9/5/08 - 9/14/08

Due to the United States Mints annual inventory, expedited shipping will not be available for orders placed from September 5 through September 14, 2008. Orders over $300 and orders containing gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles will receive a complimentary upgrade, but may experience a slight delay. Expedited shipping will be available again for orders placed on or after September 15, 2008. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause
Old Sep 15, 08, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by elrico View Post
Everything I received in my shipment appears to be Philadelphia Mint. If anyone has Denver Mint Presidential Coins, I would like to trade the Philadelphia Mint version for your Denver Mint rolls.
My $7500 have all been marked P on the circumference, too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: