Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COAIR005
Furthermore, if the card companies had a problem with the one of their merchants (in this case the US MINT), shouldn't they focus their action on them, not us collectors?
Who are you kidding, to term us being "collectors"?

These are circulating versions, there is no "collection value" so to speak.

Pay a hefty premium for the non-circulating version of the coins, then you are a "collector" and can rightfully claim so.

The AMEX warning is not a joking matter. Kid around as you would but you could very well lose your card and your points if you continue on such pattern. If you are using it for your daily activities as well as for trips, it aint a nice picture when one day you suddenly find your AMEX does not work and you are thousand miles from home. A few months ago someone reported such thing happened to him and it was exactly because of the coin orders. You would find the thread he started in the AMEX forum on this saga.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You forget one thing - the coins are "cash equivalent" instrument - in fact, they are CASH.

Read your card's Ts and Cs as on what it says about "Cash and Cash Equivalent".
What about the US MINT? What repercussions are in it for them?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about the US MINT? What repercussions are in it for them?
Nothing.

What repercussions? The Mint's orders are paid by the CC issuers. CC issuers go after you who have made the charges, and then close your cards and accounts.

Didn't someone just report receiving mails from Chase which closed his 2 Chase cards because the cards "were not used for its intended purpose"?

Last edited by Happy; Dec 28, 2009 at 8:09 pm
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Nothing.

What repercussions? The Mint's orders are paid by the CC issuers. CC issuers go after you who have made the charges, and then close your cards and accounts.

Didn't someone just report receiving mails from Chase who closed his 2 Chase cards because the cards "were not used for its intended purpose"?
I have no intentions of closing my account. I love my AMEX Platinum and BLUE Card. I use them for just about everything. (A few years back I even bought my Nissan Altima on my AMEX Card).
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no intentions of closing my account. I love my AMEX Platinum and BLUE Card. I use them for just about everything. (A few years back I even bought my Nissan Altima on my AMEX Card).
Precisely. If you value your AMEX cards, then consider today's AMEX call being a warning shot and take the rep's words seriously.

It is NOT up to you, it is AMEX which could close your accounts.

You dont want AMEX initiate a Financial Review, or worse, abruptly close your accounts. From what you posted, it appears that your account is now being monitored. The rep has made it very clear despite in a subtle way as you mentioned "Toward the end of the phone call the rep told me not to lose any sleep over it and just be careful and watch my spending pattern."
I dont know how much clearer the message can be...

Last edited by Happy; Dec 28, 2009 at 8:53 pm
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
the point you're missing is it might not be your choice ... at which point, you lose the cards, might lose some points and you take a hit on your credit b/c they closed the account on you. Over, done, game lost.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:25 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
Originally Posted by friedice
Just received in the mail that two of my Chase CC accounts (United Visa and Continental MC) were closed on Dec 21st for "not being used as intended". Called in, found out that it was due to mint purchases. The accounts cannot be reopened.

Yikes !!!!, how much did you spend????
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:26 pm

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm out of the game officially on your advise and the "wake up call I got today from AMEX". I'm not going to process any new orders, [at least until they clean up the program].

I will say though, it's been a fun, addicting ride. I might need $1 coin rehab...And more importantly, will they accept $1 coins as payment. hehe.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:28 pm

I made a post here a few weeks ago about my bank selling 2008 Presidental coin gift packs for a 20% discount limited supply only, I can now confirm this, went in today to cash a check and i did see the sign at the counter.

I should of said "Can i buy whats left of the Presidental Coins?????
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hertz4me
I made a post here a few weeks ago about my bank selling 2008 Presidental coin gift packs for a 20% discount limited supply only, I can now confirm this, went in today to cash a check and i did see the sign at the counter.

I should of said "Can i buy whats left of the Presidental Coins?????
You should find out what "gift pack" that is - whether it is the circulating coins, or the "sheet", or the boxed non-circulating set. They are very different things. Needless to say, the latter 2 are sold at a hefty premium...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:02 pm

When i maxed out my credit cards buying the coins, chase did lower my credit line by 86%. i probably charged up 10k dollars on the card last year. I called and complained and they said "Sorry nothing can do done", 2 weeks later they restored my credit line. Charged over 100k on just my chase credit cards this year havnt heard anything from them so far. RBS did lower my credit line by 20%, Citi did jack up one of my cards to 29% interest rate from 7%, but i play my bills in full every month
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's not get too far off topic. How a particular credit card issuer deals with Mint purchases is fair game, but a lot of posts seem to be drifting.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Moderator2
Let's not get too far off topic. How a particular credit card issuer deals with Mint purchases is fair game, but a lot of posts seem to be drifting.
What else is there to talk about now? If CC Companies start shutting down cardholder for doing business with the US Mint, what's the purpose in the program existing?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS, UA, DL, WN, Marriott, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by swintec
....there is nothing stopping deadbeats from jumping on this, ordering several thousands and skipping town on paying the bill. THAT is what they are worked up over. It is there money they are putting on the line after all.
Yeah, but if that happened, the Mint would be happy, because that way, the coins would circulate like they want.

We are in a weird time. I have closed several credit cards and I'm close to walking away from a home re-fi with a great rate because they're just asking too much - too many absurd hoops to jump through. I know the lending orgy of 2000-2006 is so over, but there's got to be a middle ground. Why does my CC interest rate have to go through the roof when I've been paying everything on time? Because the CC companies over-leant to irresponsible people. Why do I have to bend-over for a proctology exam to refi my house - because lenders took too many risks earlier in the decade. Hopefully, the pendulum will find a place in the middle, but I don't know how soon.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Moderator2
a lot of posts seem to be drifting.
"seem to be"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.