Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Not kidding. Need be nothing illegal or fraudulent to cause companies to act - just pressure from upper management (generated from various sources).

If you treasure the coins, please report on how you are distributing them as intended by the mint. If you treasure any small and inconsequential benefit of distributing the coins from the mint, then quit the bragging about amounts and the particular cards used. Brag about handing coins out as tips, using them for tolls, change for fundraising events, gifts, and etc.

If threats were idle, why are a few cards no longer receiving points and a few users reporting they are getting talked to? Don't treat coin distribution as a game , treat it as your opportunity to stand up as a citizen and help your government circulate money.

Yea, the rolls make great holiday gifts! - they are much more personal than a generic gift card.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by COAIR005
I've done my legal research and found nothing to be wrong with purchasing these collections from the MINT I can see why the credit card companies don't like it - but can the really do anything to us? up to and including taking away points and the card?
I will warn you, I was in the same boat as you with AmEx this past summer. I was a 6 year cardholder and used AmEx Rewards Gold Card EVERYWHERE I could.

My normal monthly usage was well into the thousands and I never had any problems. I got into the coins more and more, but would pay them off as soon as posting.

Well, AmEx financial review happened. Long story short, they wanted last years tax returns to back up my income to show I could support the charges (coin purchases) I was doing with them. I don't know about you, but my income would not support simply buying these coins like we are doing and hanging onto them. I also didnt want to supply that kind of information to a credit card company....Either way I was screwed.

Anyways, when you get to the financial review step, there is no going back with them. You either supply them with what they want, or they close your account and you lose your points and all of that stuff. Like i said, even if i did supply them with my tax return, it would not matter.

i did manage to get my points back through a very long process but I wouldnt bank on it working for you.

Moral of the story, be very careful. I was pissed me and AmEx went our separate ways, but as nice as they are for everything else, they are real a$$holes on the other end.

Also, they may be wiser to it now, but they had no idea about the coin thing this past summer...the guy saw the coin charges and asked if I was "investing or something" with the US Mint, instead of trying to be mr. publicity I simply said yes....I am sure they are privy to the information now but YMMV....good luck.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by friedice
Just received in the mail that two of my Chase CC accounts (United Visa and Continental MC) were closed on Dec 21st for "not being used as intended". Called in, found out that it was due to mint purchases. The accounts cannot be reopened.
What sort of volume are we talking?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by swintec
I will warn you, I was in the same boat as you with AmEx this past summer. I was a 6 year cardholder and used AmEx Rewards Gold Card EVERYWHERE I could.

My normal monthly usage was well into the thousands and I never had any problems. I got into the coins more and more, but would pay them off as soon as posting.

Well, AmEx financial review happened. Long story short, they wanted last years tax returns to back up my income to show I could support the charges (coin purchases) I was doing with them. I don't know about you, but my income would not support simply buying these coins like we are doing and hanging onto them. I also didnt want to supply that kind of information to a credit card company....Either way I was screwed.

Anyways, when you get to the financial review step, there is no going back with them. You either supply them with what they want, or they close your account and you lose your points and all of that stuff. Like i said, even if i did supply them with my tax return, it would not matter.

i did manage to get my points back through a very long process but I wouldnt bank on it working for you.

Moral of the story, be very careful. I was pissed me and AmEx went our separate ways, but as nice as they are for everything else, they are real a$$holes on the other end.

Also, they may be wiser to it now, but they had no idea about the coin thing this past summer...the guy saw the coin charges and asked if I was "investing or something" with the US Mint, instead of trying to be mr. publicity I simply said yes....I am sure they are privy to the information now but YMMV....good luck.
As I stated before...If the CC Companies didn't like the practices of their merchant partner (US MINT) let them go after them - not local numismatics.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
United Visa was a card I received in November. Only purchased about 5k in coins on it. Continental MC I had for almost a year and made about 15k in purchases on it in the last few months. There were very few other things I charged to those cards, so maybe the mint purchases stood out.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedice
United Visa was a card I received in November. Only purchased about 5k in coins on it. Continental MC I had for almost a year and made about 15k in purchases on it in the last few months. There were very few other things I charged to those cards, so maybe the mint purchases stood out.
I did the minimums on my BA Chase Visas (mine and my wife's) and we're still going strong. I did through in some other purchases there to at least attempt to make it look like I wanted the card.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Id say the Moral of the story is not to Prepay off the CC!! sure you wont beable to score as many pts but they will leave you alone

at the same time it doesnt look too good if you have say $30,100 in charges and only $100 isnt coins, and it goes on like that for a while

I only had Only coins on a couple of CCs and that was in order to get the Bonus so it was never over $1000.

And trust me Ive had my shares or orders and just got rid of what came in last Thurs today
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Don't treat coin distribution as a game
Should we treat paranoia-laden posts as a game?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by moondog
Lets keep answers like this off of the boards... I'd suggest using a PM for these Q&As.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Id say the Moral of the story is not to Prepay off the CC!! sure you wont beable to score as many pts but they will leave you alone
Never pre-paid the credit card. It was a charge card. i simply paid the coins off as they came through and left all of my other "normal" charges to be paid at the end of the month like normal.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:52 pm

As I stated before...If the CC Companies didn't like the practices of their merchant partner (US MINT) let them go after them - not local numismatics.
I think you are forgetting why the CC companies may have issue with this. I am sure you know they have been burned badly by folks defaulting over the past couple of years. In there eyes, people running up many thousands in purchases makes them shaky at the knees....there is nothing stopping deadbeats from jumping on this, ordering several thousands and skipping town on paying the bill. THAT is what they are worked up over. It is there money they are putting on the line after all. I just know first hand, AmEx does not play around.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Never pre-paid the credit card. It was a charge card. i simply paid the coins off as they came through and left all of my other "normal" charges to be paid at the end of the month like normal.
thats prepaying, in other words you didnt wait for the statement to close before you paid your bill.

most Normal (Im not saying you arent Normal, no attack intended!!!) people who have a CC or CCs will never pay any of it off till at least the statement closes. By paying it off before it closes it sends a RED FLAG up the flag pole. simply cause the person is doing something that 99.9999% of the pop would never do. Its not a Normal activity, for Us or those on FW or SD it is but we all are such a small % of a % of the pop that its not deemed a Normal thing to do. Especially if its done over & over
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Lets keep answers like this off of the boards... I'd suggest using a PM for these Q&As.
Why?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:16 pm

Does anyone have a solution to keeping the Mint on our side and the CC's at bay?

I wonder how the US Mint feels about the CC Companies bullying [what I would imagine] are their biggest revenue generators.

I've got this feeling in my stomach, that this will all end in a lawsuit against either the CC Companies or the Mint. [Any class action lawyers out there]? lol
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You forget one thing - the coins are "cash equivalent" instrument - in fact, they are CASH.

Read your card's Ts and Cs as on what it says about "Cash and Cash Equivalent".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.