Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Getting back on topic, a coin purchase from 12/14 posted to my SPG Amex as a purchase, and I did receive Starpoints for the transaction.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Congrats, can you put this in ALLCAPS so all the auditors and fraud examiners watching this board can see it?

Report to the board what fails to work or what you may cause to fail to work - the choice is yours.

Originally Posted by dyrewolf31
Getting back on topic, a coin purchase from 12/14 posted ...and I did receive ....
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Congrats, can you put this in ALLCAPS so all the auditors and fraud examiners watching this board can see it?

Report to the board what fails to work or what you may cause to fail to work - the choice is yours.
Relax and enjoy, let the paranoia go. I think auditors can read upper&lower, I don't think this is something the audit department oversees and we already know it isn't illegal or a fraud.

For what it's worth, a Citibank IT guy was at a party last week and he said they are fully aware of the deal, but haven't had any instructions to stop it. Caveat: I don't know what his job level is and it seemed rude to ask, since I've known him for years. (His wife is an FBI agent who insisted she didn't hear me say anything about another common activity that is reportable.) The world isn't out to get us, but I'm going to quit talking serious stuff with this couple and just stick to religion and politics.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:51 pm

OMG - LMAO!!!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Come on you've gotta be kidding. You really think it would take more than a dim-witted 6 year old to know that a lot of use the SPG Amex, and that we're still trying to work the coin game?

I'm pretty sure if Amex wanted to find out which card members were buying coins, they could simply click "Search" in their systems. And despite the idle threats on the Mint site, there is nothing fraudulent or illegal about any of this.

Last edited by dyrewolf31; Dec 26, 2009 at 10:06 pm
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:39 pm

There's a new sheriff in town....
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I for one am fine with people reporting that a card worked for the points or miles, Otherwise how are we to know if a card has been tried or not. If only reports of cards that post a fee are listed, then we would not know if SPG Amex, Barclays, Chase, or others are even being used for the purchase. Can someone add a list to the sticky of cards and if there is a added fee?

Just my 2 cents

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Can someone add a list to the sticky of cards and if there is a added fee? JudyJFLA
AKA a punch list for drumdrum.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
AKA a punch list for drumdrum.
No kidding! Why do we need to add more attention than there already is?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: OP Plat, SPG
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31
Come on you've gotta be kidding. You really think it would take more than a dim-witted 6 year old to know that a lot of use the SPG Amex, and that we're still trying to work the coin game?
Can someone comment on benefits of using SPG Amex (I don't have this) vs Continental Onepass chase mastercard (which I have). Does it make sense to sign up for former? Thx
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Otherwise how are we to know if a card has been tried or not.
JudyJFLA
By deduction, the ones that have not been reported Not-Working, would be working - because after all these months, most worthwhile reward cards have been used so it isn't that hard to deduce the new data.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by drdomore
Can someone comment on benefits of using SPG Amex (I don't have this) vs Continental Onepass chase mastercard (which I have). Does it make sense to sign up for former? Thx
Tell me how you use your card and what you want it to do for you. I have both and can better respond with this info.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: OP Plat, SPG
I signed up for chase mastercard to earn onepass miles, which i plan to use for upgrade or booking reward tickets to Asia. Not sure what SPG Amex can do for me.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, United Mileage Plus
If you read the Frugal Travel Guy's blog, he loves SPG Amex.
Why the Starwood Preferred Guest Card from American Express??

No blackout dates on hotel redemptions.
First year is free and renewal is only $45 per year
You earn a 10K sign up bonus on first purchase and have the opportunity for 15K more with $15K additional spending in the first 6 months and you will be upgraded to Gold status in the hotel program upon reaching $30K in spending in one year.
The “cash and points option” for hotel redemptions is by far the best in the industry
SPG points can be converted into over 30 different airline and hotel programs with a BONUS on 20K redemptions of 5K per transfer. ( If you transfer 20K SPG, you get 25K airlines miles) In essence you are earning 1.25 miles per $$$ instead of the typical 1 mile per $$$.
Individuals with the same mailing address can combine their points into one account.
The Starwood Card wins the Freddie Awards almost every year for the best all around travel card.

My suggestion, if you sign up, give credit where credit is due, follow his link for the sign up to give a fellow flyer the referral bonus.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by zukkobaby
If you read the Frugal Travel Guy's blog, he loves SPG Amex.
Why the Starwood Preferred Guest Card from American Express??

No blackout dates on hotel redemptions.
First year is free and renewal is only $45 per year
You earn a 10K sign up bonus on first purchase and have the opportunity for 15K more with $15K additional spending in the first 6 months and you will be upgraded to Gold status in the hotel program upon reaching $30K in spending in one year.
The “cash and points option” for hotel redemptions is by far the best in the industry
SPG points can be converted into over 30 different airline and hotel programs with a BONUS on 20K redemptions of 5K per transfer. ( If you transfer 20K SPG, you get 25K airlines miles) In essence you are earning 1.25 miles per $$$ instead of the typical 1 mile per $$$.
Individuals with the same mailing address can combine their points into one account.
The Starwood Card wins the Freddie Awards almost every year for the best all around travel card.

My suggestion, if you sign up, give credit where credit is due, follow his link for the sign up to give a fellow flyer the referral bonus.
This discussion of the SPG card is way off topic for this thread, but as a quick word of warning, I think applying via the referral link doesn't get the applicant as many bonus points as applying via the "dual landing" promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.