Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Sep 9, 08, 3:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...FedEx tried to deliver again today but no one home

Ordered an additional $500 John Quincy Adams just now...
Old Sep 9, 08, 10:04 am

I can't wait for mine to arrive. I have many uses in mind for them.
1. I am buying an air conditioning unit from a company that does not take cc's. (coins = $)
2. My utilities that don't take cc's.
3. A few restaurants I know that do not take cc's.
4. I have some flights coming up and those guys tips are going to be nice and round.
5. I am going to KUL in a couple of months, I wonder if I can find uses there.
6. If I have a surplus I will just sell them to some restaurants over the weekends when they need change or put them in my business.
NEED MORE PRESIDENTS TO BUY NOW!!!
Old Sep 9, 08, 10:12 am

Thanks OP! $1000 is on it's way. 2 boxes each of 2 different prez.
Old Sep 9, 08, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by Danger Man View Post
Next coin comes out in November:

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/?action=schedule

I've ordered all to date but GW, received all except Andrew Jackson.

Will be using Madison to pay for drinks at a bar this weekend.
Old Sep 9, 08, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I was in my local Bank of America branch today where I know managers and tellers.

The manager said to me that while many BofAs had been requesting the coins, and many customers have too, she tried to ship $1,000 back to the reserve (the teller I go to had not know this til today) and they took them this time but said in the future, they will only accept batches of $2,000 at a time in shipments!

It turns out many banks would want to return many of these types of coins as they are not really fully circulated yet, and the reserve feels banks are not really the best place to do that after all. Oh well, my above argument was kinda ok but now has holes in it.

So while my bank had experienced some customer interest at its branch and via others, that manager had in fact taken $1,000 of my $4,500 worth of deposited coins in the past month and got spoken to about it from the feds.

She then told me that they would gladly take my coins in the future IF and ONLY IF I give them to the bank in batches of $2,000. not $500 or $1,500 or $2,500... batches of $2,000. And this was being instilled in all other BofAs soon too.

Hmmm...

Well, she was trying to be helpful by telling me this stuff but it was a bummer anyway. Seems the gig has its strains and in this case, it's going to happen at the banks -- at least BofA. She said that of course they'd accept the coins if it were say, a roll or a bunch of maybe $20-$30 worth or something, but otherwise they would not.

My bank only had about $100 worth of my coins left in stock today, they said. So $1,000 was sent back, at least $2,100 were sent to other BofAs and nearly $2,300 was given to customers according to her estimates.

They often take older paper money or excess cash and coins of any denomination and ship it back to the reserve. That's how many such banks handle their inventory weekly, it seems.
I cant believe that BoA is the sole Bank that you have an acct with!

If it is why not pay off your CCs at their Banks if theres a local branch. So if you have a CitiAA MC go to a local Citi Bank branch and pay off your bill with whatever you have in Coins.

Thats alot better then depositing it to your acct anyway.
Old Sep 9, 08, 6:34 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Scary Event

Two young ladies knocked at my door tonight carrying a very heavy box.

Seems like the US Post Office decided to deliver to the wrong address

We gave them a token of our appreciation.
Old Sep 9, 08, 7:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
got $2500 today, deposited $2500 today, 5,000 miles richer (promotion through AA Amex card for double miles for next 3 months up to 5,000 miles, so this will help ensure that I'll make it). Love this promo.
Old Sep 9, 08, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Danger Man View Post
I can't wait for mine to arrive. I have many uses in mind for them.
1. I am buying an air conditioning unit from a company that does not take cc's. (coins = $)
2. My utilities that don't take cc's.
3. A few restaurants I know that do not take cc's.
4. I have some flights coming up and those guys tips are going to be nice and round.
5. I am going to KUL in a couple of months, I wonder if I can find uses there.
6. If I have a surplus I will just sell them to some restaurants over the weekends when they need change or put them in my business.
how do you pay your utilities with coins unless the offices of those utilities are walk ins that are near your home?? I don't love writing checks but some places like the national grid electric still want it that way so I must do it. I could do auto bill pay to deduct from my bank acct but it still is not a CC. It's debit from checking only.

Originally Posted by craz View Post
I cant believe that BoA is the sole Bank that you have an acct with!

If it is why not pay off your CCs at their Banks if theres a local branch. So if you have a CitiAA MC go to a local Citi Bank branch and pay off your bill with whatever you have in Coins.

Thats alot better then depositing it to your acct anyway.
yeah, agreed but convenience is key... As well, in each of our respective areas, I am certain the conditions vary to make things work out for one person where they may not for another.

My wife has a different bank (citizens) so sometimes we put all the coins in there but their nearest branch is at a supermarket so it's harder. Also, we tend to not really go far from home toward where that market is as much as we did when both working more full time. Now I work as a consultant and am at home a lot, and she's stay at home mom right now too. My old office was no where near anything except some bank they used that I had no account at, and the nearest CITI financial office is too far to make a trip to just to cash out coins. It is near a Trader Joes but we only go there like once every 2 weeks if we can. If you have little kids like we do, you tend to try to group your visits to things anyway, and so if I can do that in order to accomplish certain sets of errands, I may as well just comply with the new BofA rules and deposit bulk $2,000 per visit wherever possible.

My BofA acct is the one I have for a few reasons:

1) I have their Alaska Airlines my debit visa check card, which is a mileage earning card. It only gives me .5 mile per $1 spent but that works on many things that DO take only DEBIT (sadly, this does not include the above checking acct debits that you set up in auto bill pay for utilities that do not take CCs though). Over time, this has in fact added up (oh, remember those days when buying postal money orders was the way to go? ) Anyway, I do use partners of that airline and have amassed some miles on it so if I DO need to use debit, I get something back, at the very least. (If you are a member of Costco and do not use AMEX there, this is the next best way to pay them and earn miles too).

2) BofA has no fees as long as I have direct deposit, which I actually do every month for about $5-10 from an ING acct transferred into BofA. (Other banks like Citi and I think Chase do not let you do that to accommodate the DD rule that waives monthly acct fees)

3) The branch is like .6 miles from home. Next to a few stores we frequent in our town. Again, convenience is key!

4) My brother had $35,000 stolen from his bank at Citizens, where my wife still insists on having her sole acct (we have a joint savings elsewhere but the checkings are separate for our own reasons that don't matter here). Sadly, she likes to use her bank's debit card sometimes and earns NOTHING! () Supermarket money orders in our area--if and when they had ever worked, would be cost prohibitive--trust me I have checked it all out.

Nonetheless, I do not trust that bank anymore even though they eventually found out about an internal scam and eventually fixed all the frauded accounts. Plus the bank charges fees and you can only get out of it if you deposit like a ton of money. Long story but they have become the FEE bank where BofA used to be, so I stick with BofA. I do better with ING and Citi savings accts where your rates are far better anyway. The rest of my $ is in mutual funds and other long term investments... I suppose I COULD further fund those with these coins but I would have to make a special trip 45 mins south of home in traffic to get to the office where this would take place. I suppose driving into Boston, where I no longer (currently) have an office would also be a viable way to cash these out, seeing as how there's a federal reserve there that would take any amounts of such coinage.

BofA is not perfect and oh yes I have had my run ins, but the local branch has been very accommodating to me and has fixed past issues with the main bank, as well as being very friendly and all that jaz.

My other 'banking' and money spending is done on mile and point earning credit cards.

For me, the coins offer extra miles to pad accounts that need to reach award level. It is working.
\
This banking glitch is like Tom Brady going down for the season. (well, not that bad!) The Patriots will STILL find a way!
Old Sep 9, 08, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ingy View Post

oh I bet you did!! but the alternative websites are another forum so no need to expand on those details of the ladies with heavy boxes. This is a family place
Old Sep 9, 08, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
how do you pay your utilities with coins unless the offices of those utilities are walk ins that are near your home??
Some utilities do have walk-in service centers, but more common are payment acceptance locations at grocery stores and the like.
Old Sep 9, 08, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by ingy View Post

At least you received them!

I ordered $1000 (four boxes) of coins on 8/12 and received an email from the Mint that they were shipped on 8/19. According to the email, delivery would be by USPS.

Attempted to track my order online numerous times, using the tracking number provided by the Mint in their email. I receive a message: no record of the item. I telephone customer service of the Mint, and the rep. tells me the order arrived on 8/25 in a nearby suburb, but can't tell me any more information, except that the package was sent parcel post. This rep. also informs me that the Post Office will NOT allow the Mint to track orders. (??)

Today, my local post office asserts it never received any such package, although, they acknowledge it is possible that someone might have "forgot" to scan in the package. The post office here won't even acknowledge that the tracking number I provided, from the Mint email to me, is valid.
They also won't help trace it because the coins were not sent insured. In other words, "too bad."

Now, I have to complete a form from the Mint website for non-receipt of items, as well as have AmEx. charge back the $1000.
Old Sep 9, 08, 10:54 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
my order of
1. JAMES MADISON $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y04)
Qty 2 @ $250.00

2. THOMAS JEFFERSON $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y03)
Qty 2 @ $250.00

3. JOHN ADAMS $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y02)
Qty 2 @ $250.00

4. JAMES MONROE $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y05)
Qty 2 @ $250.00
was just randomly canceled...all 4 items
Old Sep 9, 08, 11:09 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by sammy0623 View Post
my order of

1. JAMES MADISON $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y04)
Qty 2 @ $250.00

2. THOMAS JEFFERSON $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y03)
Qty 2 @ $250.00

3. JOHN ADAMS $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y02)
Qty 2 @ $250.00

4. JAMES MONROE $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y05)
Qty 2 @ $250.00
was just randomly canceled...all 4 items
Have you ordered before?
Old Sep 9, 08, 11:09 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
>>>>>>>>>>>>>Now, I have to complete a form from the Mint website for non-receipt of items, as well as have AmEx. charge back the $1000.

I feel your pain....Based on experience, I would just screw the the US Mint form and just go straight to dispute the charges on the credit card and let them deal with it.
Old Sep 10, 08, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by thehawk75 (#688) View Post
Interesting...

Now that all $3500 of mine have arrived, I think it's time for my wife (and perhaps later 9 month old daughter) to start getting them.
I have a fifteen-year-old son with his own Starwood American Express card that he uses for tuition, etc.

But I do not do U.S. Mint orders for him. Why?

The U.S. Mint website says that the user is representing the purchaser to be over 18 years old upon ordering.

Misrepresentation to the federal government over the internet would be wire fraud, a federal crime. I prefer not to commit felonies.

I help out my adult in-laws instead.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: