Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Barcky
Originally Posted by aviators99
Article was great, until he used "cash advance" instead of "cash equivalent". Why does every reporter have to get at least one fact wrong?
That wasn't the only fact that was wrong! The following statement really bothered me because it's a common misconception, that really should be corrected. You'd hope a reporter for a major media outlet would know better:

Originally Posted by LA Times
Industry insiders say the real losers in such schemes are not the airlines but the banks that buy the rewards points from the airlines and offer the rewards to cardholders to encourage them to spend on their cards.
What industry insiders? Why not fact check?

Does the guy not even know that credit card companies charge merchants a fee on each transaction? Usually around 3% ?!?!

I guarantee you that there is no credit card company that is paying 3 cents per mile. Not one. I don't even think they pay 1 cent a mile. There's very likely a 2% spread there.

They WANT you to spend money on these cards, their business model is transaction based, those that carry a balance and pay the minimum are gravy.

I'd say the credit card companies are HUGE winners on this.

The only time a CC company ever turned out to be a loser on the rewards program was when they used to offer those 5% cashback EDP (gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacies) cards, which is precisely why these were short lived reward programs that the CC companies have now changed (with the exception of Associated Bank of course).
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Not what I wanted to hear

My 11/18 got the Pts but I have 2 more from 12/10 & 12/14 that appear OnLine just as all the others have Description wise, but they will be on my next statement which closes Fri.
I spoke to a rep and she told me that 12/8/09 was the last date points would be awarded for these purchases. If your order hits the card on that date or before you just got in. My order posted 12/9. Doh!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:52 pm
bdd

Originally Posted by rc408
I spoke to a rep and she told me that 12/8/09 was the last date points would be awarded for these purchases. If your order hits the card on that date or before you just got in. My order posted 12/9. Doh!
What specific card are you referring to?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bdd
What specific card are you referring to?
I looked up the chain of posts and I saw that it was talking about US Flexperks.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Well I guess that ends the wait & see game for me.

Its not only not getting the Flex Pts but I lost out by not having used a different CC and getting whatever for having used that CC.

Well I guess its simply time for me to go thru my already earned Flex Pts and then CX the CC

The good thing is it wasnt a crazy amount that was lost only 2k, but that 2k would have gotten me my bonus pts. Oh well. Now I will simply have to find a quick way to round-up to the next 10,000th level. (anything below that is useless as you need to cahs out min 20k then 30k 40k etc etc, depending on teh price of the tkt . No 25k or 35k levels)
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Now I will simply have to find a quick way to round-up to the next 10,000th level. (anything below that is useless as you need to cahs out min 20k then 30k 40k
Pay your property taxes (fee-free in Dallas), prepay your phone/mobile/cable/Internet bills for a couple of months. Buy some gift cards for your favorite grocery store.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dayone
Pay your property taxes (fee-free in Dallas), prepay your phone/mobile/cable/Internet bills for a couple of months. Buy some gift cards for your favorite grocery store.
Well I will be about 8k short.

Hopefully I can find someone to get the CC there still I believe a promo where the referral is worth 5k to the referee. Then just find a Cat where they give 2x and use it just for that.

Since the 1st yr is free and I did over 24k I think that will make the 2nd yr fee free as well (thanks to the Coins ) so theres no need to prepay for things.

The problem is most people I know were Declined for the BA CC, so I doubt they will be accepted by USB. Since the 1st yr is Fee Free its alittle easier asking a frend to get it spend the min so that I can get the 5k, besides they will get 10k so it pays for them to get up to 20k for a free tkt, themselves.

Just who needed the extra hassles and asking people for a Favor
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:34 pm

confirmed US bank flexperks card no longer earning

This rep told you something wrong. As someone mentioned earlier, US bank flexperks card is no longer earning points for US mint purchases. My statement closed 12/9, and there are eight postings of orders scattered from the begin to end of the statement period. my point earning did not correlate with purchase activity and so I called. the answer, your US mint orders no longer earn points because you are purchasing cash. They are still posting as sales, not cash advances, just no point earning.

needless to say, I have canceled my remaining unfilled orders on this card.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: Several dozen
For every measure, there is a countermeasure. This applies in this case.

Originally Posted by buschoi
I looked up the chain of posts and I saw that it was talking about US Flexperks.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Silence is golden is my only thought. That thought works well for transactions involving money.

Originally Posted by xp0
Unless the NA limit gets lifted, it seems that this deal is pretty slow now. Unless you have like 100 accounts and the different addresses to send them to , 5000$ just doesnt seem like enough. Its nice to do the "2500$" needed for deals and whatnot , but for the 30k, 15k bonuses, etc it might just be too slow.... thoughts?

And with the mint, is the only way to order a lot to have multiple accounts with multiple cards?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
No problems with the Chase card yet.

However I think the Mint should try to think outside the box in regards to getting these circulated. I wonder how much more money it would take for the government to give every taxpayer $100 in dollar coins as a stimulus payment or work with a sports franchise to only give out dollar coins as change (perhpas a new tradition of pelting players with dollar coins can be started) or to get McDonalds to introduce a dollar coin only menu. Honestly I think from their POV there are a lot better ways than the current program.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by reddawngrl
This rep told you something wrong. As someone mentioned earlier, US bank flexperks card is no longer earning points for US mint purchases. My statement closed 12/9, and there are eight postings of orders scattered from the begin to end of the statement period. my point earning did not correlate with purchase activity and so I called. the answer, your US mint orders no longer earn points because you are purchasing cash. They are still posting as sales, not cash advances, just no point earning.

needless to say, I have canceled my remaining unfilled orders on this card.
so it seems that any statement that closed on 12/8 or before will get the Pts any that closes 12/9 and beyond wont, no matter when the transaction took place.

It would have been nice had they given prior notice, rather then simply to implement it
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Armin Tamzarian
However I think the Mint should try to think outside the box in regards to getting these circulated. I wonder how much more money it would take for the government to give every taxpayer $100 in dollar coins as a stimulus payment
People would just take their $100 to the bank. What is best for the banks? A few Mr. Pickles with a cart load of coins or a line of citizens out the door, each with ninety-something dollars (because each citizen will take a few for souvenirs)? Most of the coins would still end up at the Fed
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:27 pm

correction to flexperks

so it seems that any statement that closed on 12/8 or before will get the Pts any that closes 12/9 and beyond wont, no matter when the transaction took place.
I called again to find out why I was never notified of the change and what the cut off date was. the postings of dec. 7 and prior earned points. postings dec 8 and after did not. I had one post dec 8 and four post dec 9. my point accrual is correct when taking into account the last five postings did not earn points.

so bottom line, it is the posting date that counts, not the statement closing date.

p.s. my delta amex closed dec 10 and all points earning is correct.

Last edited by reddawngrl; Dec 16, 2009 at 4:29 pm Reason: the p.s.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
$1000 of my $2500 order of presidents arrived yesterday. They were charged on my Barclays Travelocity card. Ordered on 12/3

12/14/09 12/15/09 US MINT COIN SALES-DR 1,000.00

Merchant Category: GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED
Merchant Phone Number: Not Available
Merchant Location: 800-872-6468, DC

Points posted and no extra fees!!
On to order the NA's!!

JudyJFLA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.