Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Sep 7, 08, 10:10 am

Programs: DL/silver
Originally Posted by kirax2 View Post
If it's just a matter of a different apartment, I doubt that would flag anything. They will do an automatic verification of your billing address for your credit card, which will probably check the zip and *possibly* the street number. If the zip (or street number) doesn't match the billing address of the credit card, the cc will be declined. Since yours is just a matter of a different apt. number, it makes sense that it wouldn't be a problem. But someone trying to send the coins to a different shipping address altogether from what's on their credit card bill might have more of a problem (i.e. their cc is likely to be declined!)

Someone might test this - try sending it to an address with the same zip but different street number from the billing address on your cc. If it gets declined, we'll know the mint checks more than just the zip code portion of the address.

-kirax2
I had my order sent to a different town with a different zip code and had no problem
Old Sep 7, 08, 11:35 am

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by Flo's Restaurant View Post
Is it two boxes per customer/billing address or two boxes per credit card/shipping address?
It's two boxes per president, per shipping address. You can get two boxes of each president sent to your home address.

-kirax2
Old Sep 8, 08, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by Flo's Restaurant (#675) View Post
Is it two boxes per customer/billing address or two boxes per credit card/shipping address?
Five members of my family just shipped $5,000 of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson to the same P.O. Box, on five different credit cards, each in their own name.
Old Sep 8, 08, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
so if you are essentially ordering these with your same card to like 6 other people's addresses, then you are set. Hmmmm.... Apt 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10?

and why stop at 10

(or I could just send them to my mom and then stop by to get them while enjoying some of her pasta )

...and as said earlier, this is a GREAT way to earn the $ needed to spend when you receive a new credit card that gives you a big mileage bonus on sign up if you spend X in so many months.

Last edited by Marathon Man; Sep 8, 08 at 4:43 am
Old Sep 8, 08, 10:39 am
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
John Q. Adams is now available again, after a brief "black out" period. Only JQA and Andy Jackson are currently available.
Old Sep 8, 08, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Gold
Good Timing

I just received an email this morning from a rarely used credit card I have offering a $25 credit for $500 in purchases. Perfect!

I like the dollar coins and $2 bills, I use them for tips.
Old Sep 8, 08, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I have a trip this weekend where all my expenses except alcohol are covered. We know what that means . . .
Old Sep 8, 08, 12:47 pm

In for 2 boxes of the JQA after my initial order from a couple weeks ago got canceled (out of stock)... now I've got the complete set
Old Sep 8, 08, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
correction on one of my previous posts. I've rec'd three shipments.

1st. DHL, who delivered to the local PO who delivered to me and left them in my mailbox.

2nd. Fedex, who required adult signature

3rd. UPS, who left the box without signature

(I was watching, so I grabbed number 1 and 3 within minutes, but YMMV)
Old Sep 8, 08, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
And for me:

1. DHL delivered to USPS, who dropped of box (no signature).
2. DHL delivered to USPS, who dropped of box (no signature).
3. UPS delivered (no signature) 12 hours before shipment confirmation came from U.S. Mint.
Old Sep 8, 08, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
slightly disturbing cash out news...

I was in my local Bank of America branch today where I know managers and tellers.

The manager said to me that while many BofAs had been requesting the coins, and many customers have too, she tried to ship $1,000 back to the reserve (the teller I go to had not know this til today) and they took them this time but said in the future, they will only accept batches of $2,000 at a time in shipments!

It turns out many banks would want to return many of these types of coins as they are not really fully circulated yet, and the reserve feels banks are not really the best place to do that after all. Oh well, my above argument was kinda ok but now has holes in it.

So while my bank had experienced some customer interest at its branch and via others, that manager had in fact taken $1,000 of my $4,500 worth of deposited coins in the past month and got spoken to about it from the feds.

She then told me that they would gladly take my coins in the future IF and ONLY IF I give them to the bank in batches of $2,000. not $500 or $1,500 or $2,500... batches of $2,000. And this was being instilled in all other BofAs soon too.

Hmmm...

Well, she was trying to be helpful by telling me this stuff but it was a bummer anyway. Seems the gig has its strains and in this case, it's going to happen at the banks -- at least BofA. She said that of course they'd accept the coins if it were say, a roll or a bunch of maybe $20-$30 worth or something, but otherwise they would not.

My bank only had about $100 worth of my coins left in stock today, they said. So $1,000 was sent back, at least $2,100 were sent to other BofAs and nearly $2,300 was given to customers according to her estimates.

They often take older paper money or excess cash and coins of any denomination and ship it back to the reserve. That's how many such banks handle their inventory weekly, it seems.
Old Sep 8, 08, 7:06 pm

They came today

and it was kind of strange.

-Ordered $2,500 worth of coins on 8/19.
-Had to call the mint on 8/26 to get the coins off hold status and processing [CSR gave me no reason why the order was on hold].
-On Wed Sep 3, got an email from the mint saying they shipped the order that day. The email had three tracking numbers: USPS; mystery number; and UPS number.
-Total shipment arrived today, Sep 8, via UPS with NO SIGNATURE REQUIREMENT.

Actually, I thought the "No Sig" situation a bit strange based on all the rigamarole I have heard. It does not bother me to get an "expensive" shipment here without a signature requirement -- have had laptops, desktops, etc dropped off here -- it's a pretty safe neighborhood.

Now I have to wait for the Jacksons, and go back and order the JQA's [thanks for letting me know they are back].
Old Sep 8, 08, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
Five members of my family just shipped $5,000 of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson to the same P.O. Box, on five different credit cards, each in their own name.
Interesting...

Now that all $3500 of mine have arrived, I think it's time for my wife (and perhaps later 9 month old daughter) to start getting them.

I hope a different card, and a different last name (wife still uses maiden name on some accounts) but same address (which is not a PO Box) will work.

I can't use the 'different apartment number trick' because we live in a condo to begin with.
Old Sep 8, 08, 7:51 pm

JQ Adams is now available.
Old Sep 8, 08, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
500 JQAs on the way for me!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: