Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I'm trying to circulate them by paying my mortgages and other bills that I can't pay with a CC. Once I pay my bills I can't control what what others do with the legal tender.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Lets be honest if theres a way to use your CC and earn some Miles or pts or will pay with the Coins???
I justify the use of coins because when I bought them online, I got points for them. Also, I'm trying to watch my money and since I already bought the $250 worth of coins, it keeps my credit card bill from increasing when I use them.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
My electric utility doesn't accept credit cards, so I pay in person with dollar coins. I don't know if any truly get into circulation or if the electric company just deposits all the coins with their bank straight away. Of course, it's the same issue no matter where we spend the coins.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Same here, Please!!!! Pretty Please!!
BTW There are sellers on ebay selling $2K in $2 bills for over $2300, but even with Bing at 8% and a cashback or miles card it still does not come out as a wash. Now I have a new search obsession!
JudyJFLA
Don't get too obsessed. I doubt it's for real.
But if it is, please let me know what you find!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think the $2 bill comment was a joke! it can be hard to tell on-line, but that's how I took it. The only bills in my wallet are usually $2s; I just ask the teller for them, so there's no need for a program to circulate them.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by pawtim
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think the $2 bill comment was a joke! it can be hard to tell on-line, but that's how I took it. The only bills in my wallet are usually $2s; I just ask the teller for them, so there's no need for a program to circulate them.
Ah you got me! I was DrumDrum all along as well!

I will post a photo or two when I get my next.. I don't what I should call them, stacks? Obviously I'm going to try and work it a little while before I share. I'm hoping it will also inspire other members like JudyJFLA to think of new creative ways other than the USmint to earn miles at face value.

I suggest again that Flyertalk have something like a $5 premium membership where you can get access to a private section on here. There are people like DrumDrum and reporters who just want to make noise and ruin things. Also it'd be nice to have a bigger mailbox, less ads, and not have to dig through so many unhelpful posts.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Also it'd be nice to have a bigger mailbox, less ads, and not have to dig through so many unhelpful posts.
Ad-free and a bigger PM box are possible via FT Premium ($12/yr):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/claim_subscription.php
Old Dec 13, 2009, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Thank you!

Last edited by Astrophsx; Dec 13, 2009 at 7:01 pm
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Deleted since suspect post was edited.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I did a quick google search. Apparently, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) has a store where you can buy uncut currency. They have a store www.moneyfactory.gov. The prices are high, but this article,
http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/wb/xp-43742 says in referring to the BEP Store:

In fact, that's just where the World Reserve Monetary Exchange got the money, according to Claudia Dickens, spokeswoman for the BEP. The government sells the sheets to anyone who's interested, and even offers up to a 20 percent discount on bulk purchases.

From that article, I gathered that certain businesses buy money from the BEP and then resell them.

Even with the 20% discount, the $90 price for 32 $2 bills would be $72. The bills would still cost you $2.25 per $2 bill.

For all I know though, maybe astro contacted the BEP and is able to buy regular stacks of the bills for close to face value. There is a link that allows you to e-mail them or call them. I haven't tried contacting them but maybe someone can.

http://www.moneyfactorystore.gov/contact-us.aspx
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I have since moved on to buying $2 bills.
Pray, tell us about about this little number? My arms are hurting!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:00 pm
Original Member

Holy S. Check out the Mint site. Our Native American friend is back, but her Presidential buddies are gone. A new limit and some nasty language, too.

Last edited by Andy2; Dec 13, 2009 at 9:12 pm
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Even with the 20% discount, the $90 price for 32 $2 bills would be $72. The bills would still cost you $2.25 per $2 bill.
They don't only sell $2 bills, they sell a number of denominations, including $50 bills in sheets of 16. Face value of a sheet is $800, price is $900. If we can get them to give us a 20% discount off that price, it would be $720 for a sheet. Everybody call them tomorrow and tell them, look how much business the Mint did this year, are you going to let them show you up?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Ad-free is also possible via ....... Plus. Not that I am blocking Flyertalk's ads or anything...

Just spent 4 of the Madison coins at Wendy's and the cashier was amazed. He probably liked the gold color.

Last edited by ewick12; Dec 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's be careful about straying away from the core topic. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.