Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Isn't about time to talk about how coins were actually circulated to help the government achieve its objective? With so much bragging from a few who seem to bask in publicity, the wrong impression is getting out to the press - time to set the story straight.

Where did your coins end up and how did it help the government?
Don't think it is really the wrong impression that is getting out to the press. At least from the actions of the people on this forum.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:15 pm

Isn't about time to talk about how coins were actually circulated to help the government achieve its objective? With so much bragging from a few who seem to bask in publicity, the wrong impression is getting out to the press - time to set the story straight.

OK, I'll start - some of mine got circulated to local charities and more than a few got kids interested in coin collecting.

I don't know how it would help the government, no matter what you do with them. As has been mentioned, whoever gets the coins likely just brings them to the bank.

I've been using them a lot in vending machines and for tips.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:29 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by mrpickles
Finally....a true fan. ^
Wait--Mr Pickles is the bird, right?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I use them for petty cash transactions. Paid with a stack of $15 at a restaurant last night which does not take CC. I use them at the bar and sometimes at the collection plate at church. Not a fan of the latter though as they tend to make a racket. I also buy my Sunday newspaper from the street vendor with them as well. It surprises me how often people take them thinking they are quarters and wait for more money, despite having enough.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barcky

OMG, I am a victim of out-of-context quotes by the media.

A member with the moniker "chasethemiles" called the coin-for-miles deal "one of those fantastic deals that only come once in a great while."
This is a sentence in a post written with the intent to remind newbies who are rushing into this deal without the full understanding that it is just a one-time special deal, while we still earn miles the old fashioned way by flying, spending, choosing the right credit card to use depending on the occasion, etc.

Also, ironically, I myself was probaby in the low percentile of buyers as I only bought at low quantity and I did not buy often. I and some others regularly cautioned to keep a low profile and not kill the golden goose.

ok, found my original post and I'm reposting here just for ther ecord:

A big welcome to all the newcomers. However, I'd like to add my 2cents worth to remind everyone that this coin deal was one of those fantastic deals that only come once in a great while. Most of us still earn miles through the "traditional" ways such as joining airlines mileage pograms, signing up for mileage-earning credit cards, remembering to use the right credit card for each different occasion, hotel or restaurant. Everyday is a new hunting and gathering venture.

Last edited by ChaseTheMiles; Dec 13, 2009 at 9:50 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:41 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz

OK, I'll start - some of mine got circulated to local charities and more than a few got kids interested in coin collecting.

I use them all the time when I don't use a credit card. Road tolls, farmers' market purchases, tips, firefighters collecting for MDA, Salvation Army bell ringers, and other charities, DC Metro System, Costco, vending machines, dry cleaners, small businesses that don't accept credit cards . . . now, what happens to them after I spend them. Of course I'm not in the same purchasing class as the bird's namesake.

One evening, a restaurant delivery guy looked at them when I gave him some of the NAs and said, 'More of the lucky coins!" and I almost said, no Lucky Coins is a guy on Flyertalk!
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:54 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by aviators99
I don't know how it would help the government, no matter what you do with them. As has been mentioned, whoever gets the coins likely just brings them to the bank.

I've been using them a lot in vending machines and for tips.
+1

I've used them in my kids allowances, and at the few places I shop that don't take a CC. As a side note, my bank has little signs out that read "Historic Change -- $1 coins welcome here for deposit and withdrawal" Judging from my discussions with the tellers there's been more deposits than withdrawals.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond

It would be interesting if people who state how they have "circulated" the coins also state what PERCENTAGE they circulated vs deposited in the bank.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by deant
It would be interesting if people who state how they have "circulated" the coins also state what PERCENTAGE they circulated vs deposited in the bank.
I ordered only $250 and I've circulated probably $40 or so, mostly at fast-food restaurants and twice at a bookstore, and once to pay a toll. I plan to circulate all $250. I was surprised that I haven't received any resistance when using them. I was definitely expecting trouble but time and again McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, and Barnes and Noble have accepted them without a problem. I now keep 10-15 of the coins in my car for emergencies or just for easy access.

I've actually found that I prefer the coins to a dollar bill. It's really nice just having the dollar coins right in my car. I used to keep dollar bills around but I tend to drive with all the windows down so I have to secure the bills, which prevents easy access. Due to the rapid devaluation of the USD, it seems that the we should just stop printing dollars and use these coins instead.

Last edited by ewick12; Dec 13, 2009 at 12:28 am
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:33 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
OMG, I am a victim of out-of-context quotes by the media.

This is a sentence in a post written with the intent to remind newbies who are rushing into this deal without the full understantion that it is just a one-time special deal, while we still earn miles the old fashioned way by flying, spending, choosing the right credit card to use depending on the occasion, etc.
These reporters are indeed lazy. Their "research" seems to be regurgitating the WSJ and reading the last few pages of posts instead of the whole thread. Did they order any coins themselves? Take any to banks or discuss it with them? Looks not.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
You don't go over well on Fatwallet, I'm shocked they haven't started a petition to ask you to donate some of your miles to charity... haha Although if you wanted to send a poor college student to Tahiti that could also be considered charity

Anyways, I have not ordered coins since November. I have since moved on to buying $2 bills. Talk about a priceless reaction from the teller at my bank who is use to me bringing by $5k in dollar coins. I bring in a box and she thinks it's going to be a few hundred dollars in coins and it turns out that it's thousands of $2 bills... haha
Astro, I think we are all still excited for you to share how you are doing this. If you do not care to post, I would gladly accept a PM from you.

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by genotonda
Astro, I think we are all still excited for you to share how you are doing this. If you do not care to post, I would gladly accept a PM from you.

Thanks
Same here, Please!!!! Pretty Please!!
BTW There are sellers on ebay selling $2K in $2 bills for over $2300, but even with Bing at 8% and a cashback or miles card it still does not come out as a wash. Now I have a new search obsession!
JudyJFLA
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: co,skymiles hilton a.a usair
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Same here, Please!!!! Pretty Please!!
BTW There are sellers on ebay selling $2K in $2 bills for over $2300, but even with Bing at 8% and a cashback or miles card it still does not come out as a wash. Now I have a new search obsession!
JudyJFLA
+ 1 pretty sure i can use some info like that
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ewick12
I ordered only $250 and I've circulated probably $40 or so, mostly at fast-food restaurants and twice at a bookstore, and once to pay a toll. I plan to circulate all $250. I was surprised that I haven't received any resistance when using them. I was definitely expecting trouble but time and again McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, and Barnes and Noble have accepted them without a problem. I now keep 10-15 of the coins in my car for emergencies or just for easy access.

I've actually found that I prefer the coins to a dollar bill. It's really nice just having the dollar coins right in my car. I used to keep dollar bills around but I tend to drive with all the windows down so I have to secure the bills, which prevents easy access. Due to the rapid devaluation of the USD, it seems that the we should just stop printing dollars and use these coins instead.
+1. I ordered $1,500 and kept $100, which are two-thirds gone. I may well reorder, even without CC points, as I find dollar coins are more convenient than dollar bills, which burden my wallet. I sure hope they stay in active circulation now, unlike the Susan Bs of yore.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Lets be honest if theres a way to use your CC and earn some Miles or pts or will pay with the Coins???

the coins are either for those very few times the payment cant be done via a CC or is too costly to do so, or simply for depositing into the Bank

To all those who tried and reason that depositing them into your bank acct was indeed "circulating them'" and I disagreed then I rest my case now.

I didnt say a person shouldnt have simply deposited them, only that do it but dont close your eyes and claim that was what the Mint had in mind and considered to be Circulating them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.