Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(deleted due to wrong thread)
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Barcky
Article was great, until he used "cash advance" instead of "cash equivalent". Why does every reporter have to get at least one fact wrong?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:09 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by glennaa11
If the government really cared about getting the dollar coins into circulation that would finally get rid of the paper dollar bill. Until they do that they are not being serious about dollar coins.
As usual the government is following their long-standing Catch 22 policy. They vote to increase distribution of $1 coins, then immediately vote to insure printing of the dollar bill will never cease. (Due to public outcry presumably.)

Footnote from the FRB Annual report to Congresss (2007):
14. A full-load shipment consists of 140,000 coins per skid and 16 skids per shipment for a total per shipment value of $2.24 million.

Anybody ordering at this level?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Is anyone have issue with customer service at the Mint? The last 2 time I called in, they are extremely rude. I don't understand why this change all the sudden. I feel like they may have identify my account as one of those " abusers". My issue is they sent me a box with an invoice for $500 and only $250 was in the box. The strange part is the box label showed 9.6lbs which indicated $500. I don't see how they could make this error. Will I get a refund? Whats the process?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviators99
Article was great, until he used "cash advance" instead of "cash equivalent". Why does every reporter have to get at least one fact wrong?
Or may be the Mint gave the report the wrong terminology?

I am sure the report took notes when talking to the Mint?

Besides, the article basically just re-arranged the information directly from the WSJ - hardly any original work in it.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 12, 2009 at 11:11 am
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by lili
Those warnings are boilerplate that shows up for every order. Not to worry.

However, since you have only one order for NA at $250, your order will be sent Smart Post which means it's FedExed to your local Post Office and your mailman will drop it on your porch or in your mailbox, no signature required. If it doesn't make it into your hands, oh well.

I strongly suggest you cancel that order and re-order for 2 boxes of NA's which will then be over the $300 limit and will be sent UPS signature required.

JMHO
I ordered 2 K worth of Prez coins the other night when they were still on b/o. I ordered 2 of some, one of the other to make up the 2K b/c I didn't know if some coins would be available faster than others. Does that mean the sets with only one will ship the way you specified above or will they be lumped with everything? Now I'm worried!

ETA: never mind... question was answered in subsequent post. I will try to go back to edit the order with the single coins.

Edited and ordered 2 k in NA coins, kept the remaining Prez coins that were more than one set to see if they ship.

Last edited by sparksals; Dec 12, 2009 at 11:02 am Reason: Question answered in Subsequent post
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:55 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by aviators99
I actually took offense to the article in the paper this morning. It was almost libelous, using the words "scheme" to make it sound like the whole thing is moral and ethically wrong. The reporter - and the people at the mint - should be ashamed of themselves.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Now the Mint has erased my email and address from my profile. All my pending shipments say:

MR. BOB BOb
*****DO NOT USE*****
New York NY 10001

I think this the end for me.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Euroflyer
There's obviously some befuddled, frustrated bureaucrat at the Mint trying to run this program, or maybe they just don't care that much.

I promise to adhere to the latest regulations with all the solemnity of a pinky swear. (And no, I'm not a "$50k a month" or "99 box per order" level customer.)

I particularly liked how they capitalized "Nation" here: "Increased circulation of $1 Coins saves the Nation money." Our government throws away billions on subsidies and bailouts, and they're trying to appeal to citizens not to rack up free trips in order to save our Nation a few dollars.

How about the government issuing a directive that all banks must make a reasonable effort to distribute all dollar coins they receive?! I've never seen a bank with a sign saying "Dollar coins available" or simply giving out dollar coins for change instead of bills.
Forget it. One Wachovia branch the head teller flat out told me the bank would not distribute it because people did not like it.

The only way to make the coin better circulated is to eliminate the $1 bill - but there is already a piece of law in place to make sure the $1 bill never dies... a result of the lobbying efforts from the special interest groups involving of making the $1 bill...

Dont ever mention the billions of bailout money that haven't created jobs but flattened the banksters year end bonused...
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by glennaa11
If the government really cared about getting the dollar coins into circulation that would finally get rid of the paper dollar bill. Until they do that they are not being serious about dollar coins.
+1. In fact, the U.S. is the only country with this tortured history. Virtually every other nation has retired low-value paper currency in favor of coins, and the actions always take place simultaneously.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Forget it. One Wachovia branch the head teller flat out told me the bank would not distribute it because people did not like it.

The only way to make the coin better circulated is to eliminate the $1 bill - but there is already a piece of law in place to make sure the $1 bill never dies... a result of the lobbying efforts from the special interest groups involving of making the $1 bill...

Dont ever mention the billions of bailout money that haven't created jobs but flattened the banksters year end bonused...
Canada got rid of the $1 and $2 bills in the late 80's or early 90's. It was forced, mandated - and people weren't happy. I happened to work at a grocery store as a cashier while going to university and I sure heard the complaints about having too much change, being heavy, yada yada yada. The phase out was very quick. I think I still have an original new one and two dollar bill.

The dollar coin, called the Loonie, the two called a Toonie. They're thinking of getting rid of the $5 bill, although not sure that will happen.

The coins now seem to have a special place in the heart of Canadians especially since the ice dude at the SLC Olympics put a Loonie under the Ice for Team Canada and we won the gold.

It did cause alot of aggravation at first, but people got over it. I am amazed at how much money I have in my change purse when I go home with all the loonies and toonies. They add up.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:05 pm

I kind of wish this thread would be closed.

First off, having to dig through 4 pages each day to find out if any new shipments have been received has gotten old. 90% of the posts are a waste of time.

Everyone who put in an order in November has either received or will soon receive their coins and will get their points, so there is no need to "update" everyone unless you placed an order this month and received coins.

I'm glad to see not many people are complaining about MrPickles "ruining" this program. But at the same time the FAQ has been updated and anyone "new" should look on their and refrain from posting information that is not helpful.

I think most people had a good ride while it lasted, even if they came in late and only got one order in. If the mint kills the points there are loop-holes that can still extend this for some, but I feel that if they get posted they will be quickly killed as so many people are now following this thread. Free advertisement from stories in the WSJ and LAtimes has probably brought in more lurkers.

Am I wrong to ask that future posts be limited to people only updating if they receive coins from orders they placed this month?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Am I wrong to ask that future posts be limited to people only updating if they receive coins from orders they placed this month?
Yes, a lot of us would like to continue to hear from others as to whether miles or points are posting when their statements close.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I'm glad to see not many people are complaining about MrPickles "ruining" this program.
Me too. ^
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
Me too. ^
You don't go over well on Fatwallet, I'm shocked they haven't started a petition to ask you to donate some of your miles to charity... haha Although if you wanted to send a poor college student to Tahiti that could also be considered charity

Anyways, I have not ordered coins since November. I have since moved on to buying $2 bills. Talk about a priceless reaction from the teller at my bank who is use to me bringing by $5k in dollar coins. I bring in a box and she thinks it's going to be a few hundred dollars in coins and it turns out that it's thousands of $2 bills... haha

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.