Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:30 pm

Citi and Citibusiness set mine to zero and confirmed it in writing. Chase insists that it cannot be less than 20% of my credit limit. US Bank said my account has no cash advance feature. I prefer it set to zero. This way if I buy coins or fund a Citi account it can never be processed as a cash advance.
Man, this is getting frustrating.

1) Since the only reason this would be in the MilesBuzz! forum is that is has to do with the coins, I am moving it to that thread.

2) Your coin transaction *CAN NOT* be treated as a cash advance. To do a cash advance, you would need to use your PIN.

3) Nobody ever said that the coins would be treated as a cash advance (since that would be impossible). Please re-read this thread, and comments.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Paminablue
Hi guys, Just logged on to US Mint site, where they have the following caveat posted when you click on any of the Presidential dollar direct-ship coins:

"The purchase of $1 coins under the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Program is a cash equivalent or cash-like transaction. Ordinarily, such purchases are not eligible for credit card rewards, cash-back, cash rebate, and similar programs. Check with your card issuer for its terms and conditions."

So I called Amex (Delta Skymiles) and they confirmed this transaction would be like a cash advance so no mileage or purchase credit.

But you guys in this forum seem to have been doing this with such success, even as recently as this morning, so I was wondering whether this caveat on the US Mint site is new. Has anyone else seen that before? Or do they just post that to scare people off and it's really fine??
The key word on this is ORDINARILY.

It has yet to be determined if they have a way to tell the difference (and noting as such on your credit card) between direct shipment coin purchases and actual "collector" coin purchases.

And what if you place an order for both types at the same time? Then what?

This will all sort it self out at after the 1st of the year.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Paminablue
I did read every word of the sticky faq and all the recent thread posts before posting, in fact. No one mentioned the US Mint website specifically pointing out that no mileage credit would be given. The sticky faq also said that the coins were sold out, but they are now available again (backordered to 12/25). So it's clearly not up to date. Therefore, it's not that unreasonable to ask whether the caveat on the US Mint website is brand new, that something may have changed since sticky was posted. All I wanted to know was whether people had seen that caveat on the US Mint site before and got the cc credit anyway, a question which has not yet (that I could see) been specifically asked before in this forum, and to which I would still like just a yes or no answer please, thanks!
Backordered is the same as sold out. I don't believe any will be shipping on 12/25. The date moves up one day each day.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:41 pm

I have updated the FAQ regarding cash advance/cash equivalent!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviators99
You need to use a PIN, use one of the CC company's "checks", or show up personally at a bank to get a cash advance. What reason would you want to set it to zero? Just don't use it.

Funding a bank account with a CC and not to have the funding mistakenly treated as cash advance.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by sparksals
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I don't want the mint to send the coins to USAA, I was thinking about how to deposit them in order to pay the Chase card b/c previous posts have stated that some banks won't take the coins as deposit, but will for payment of a credit card. All our Credit cards are USAA, except for a Bank of America card. No BoA branches here either.

I'm asking for a branch that we can deposit the coins in order to pay the BA/Chase Credit card. If I could have sent the coins to USAA for deposit, then I could pay the BA/Chase card online with the coin deposit.

I guess we could open a bank account locally, but then how would that allow us to pay the Chase card at their branch if it's not a Chase bank?

Am I missing something?
Start small, order just $500. If they give you flak, it won't be that hard to burn through the coins. Chances are you (or anyone else) will not be bringing in $24500 in one go anytime soon, so test the waters. Good Luck!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by aviators99
Man, this is getting frustrating.

1) Since the only reason this would be in the MilesBuzz! forum is that is has to do with the coins, I am moving it to that thread.

2) Your coin transaction *CAN NOT* be treated as a cash advance. To do a cash advance, you would need to use your PIN.

3) Nobody ever said that the coins would be treated as a cash advance (since that would be impossible). Please re-read this thread, and comments.
#2 is NOT TRUE AT ALL. Open an online bank account with CC as funding. With Chase it's cash advance without using a PIN
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by sparksals
We're in the Minneapolis area - Wells Fargo and US Bank are pretty much the big banks here.
I used US Bank when I was living in MKE. I had to unroll the coins and dump them in their coin counter, which was always inaccurate. Fortunately, I had built a good relationship with the manager before I brought in more than $1000 at a time and he always credited me the amount I said was there, rather than what the machine read. A few times he confirmed that when they recounted the machine in their vault after closing, my tally was correct and the machine was wrong.

This was at their headquarters branch, so YMMV.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by welookgood.com
#2 is NOT TRUE AT ALL. Open an online bank account with CC as funding. With Chase it's cash advance without using a PIN
this is true, i funded an online account recently and i used a chase credit card and it came through as cash advance with the fees and i didnt provide a pin
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Aitchly
Start small, order just $500. If they give you flak, it won't be that hard to burn through the coins. Chances are you (or anyone else) will not be bringing in $24500 in one go anytime soon, so test the waters. Good Luck!
That is a good idea. My dh has an account at a small bank he opened b/c he needs to get cash advances on his employer card when he travels but upon his return, had cash we couldn't send to USAA and had to pay his work credit card. We may try the $500 thing there to see how it goes.

Although, in my frozen tundra MN suburb, they may look at us like we're from Mars if we handed a roll of dollar coins.

One other thing. ... if I order coins now, I presume they are billed to the cc when they are sent, not ordered. I'm trying to get the BA points.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:30 pm

fs2 - thanks for that info. I think I will go to a couple USB's and see what they say. I don't care if I have to unroll them. I just want them to be accepted.

What do banks do when little kids come in with their piggy banks? Don't they do that anymore?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
$1,000 in presidents received today. Charged to Starwood Amex. Posted as a regular purchase. Part of a larger order placed in October. Balance is still on BO.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jazzop
Is there some pressing reason why you want to do this? The only thing I could think of would be that you have issued additional cards to other people whom you do not fully trust. As jkoenig51 suggests, if you never use a PIN with your CCs, the chances of a thief being able to extract a cash advance from your card is pretty slim.
I am confused.... When people on the other thread fund checking/savings accounts with CCs, I ASSUME they never use a PIN and never physically preset themselves at a branch (some stated they authorized the transaction over the phone), but it still goes through as a cash advance Am I missing something?

EDIT: saw this being brought up by other posters.... looks like I am not the only one being confused.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buschoi
I am confused.... When people on the other thread fund checking/savings accounts with CCs, I ASSUME they never use a PIN and never physically preset themselves at a branch (some stated they authorized the transaction over the phone), but it still goes through as a cash advance Am I missing something?
No, you are not missing anything. It is those who thought PIN must be required for a Cash Advance type transaction, are missing something - they have no knowledge on the CC funding for opening bank accounts.

There are already several posts pointing out this OBVIOUS ERROR.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by buschoi
The poster may not be referring to Citibank accounts. There are other institutions that allow funding with a credit card. One that I know of is PenFed, but they DO WARN you that it will post as cash advance. What is probably confusing is that it has been reported that Citibank will only allow funding by credit card up to cash advance limits, but the transaction still will post as a "purchase." I have funded accounts with Citibank well beyond my cash advance limits and they have posted as a purchase. Some CSR's at Citibank will tell you that you can only fund up to your cash advance limits.
Just fund for whatever you want they can not check your cash advance limits.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.