Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by Paminablue
Hi guys, Just logged on to US Mint site, where they have the following caveat posted when you click on any of the Presidential dollar direct-ship coins:

"The purchase of $1 coins under the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Program is a cash equivalent or cash-like transaction. Ordinarily, such purchases are not eligible for credit card rewards, cash-back, cash rebate, and similar programs. Check with your card issuer for its terms and conditions."

So I called Amex (Delta Skymiles) and they confirmed this transaction would be like a cash advance so no mileage or purchase credit.

But you guys in this forum seem to have been doing this with such success, even as recently as this morning, so I was wondering whether this caveat on the US Mint site is new. Has anyone else seen that before? Or do they just post that to scare people off and it's really fine??
Possible replies to this post....
1. ... !
2. Hi drumdrum !
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by michaelm69
ATTENTION ALL NEWBIES!!!!!

PLEASE READ THE THREAD THROUGH BEFORE CALLING ANY CREDIT CARD COMPANIES OR POSTING THIS STUFF HERE.

YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED TO SEE THAT MANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS HAVE ANSWERS SO YOU DONT NEED TO CALL THE CC COMPANIES.

DONT MEAN TO BE AN A** BUT THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS

Thx
+1
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Maybe there needs to be a new feature where you need to have a certain number of posts and/or length of time as a member before you can post to this thread (ala Coupon Connection)?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:05 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Maybe there needs to be a new feature where you need to have a certain number of posts and/or length of time as a member before you can post to this thread (ala Coupon Connection)?
That would havent stopped him from being an idiot.... just from letting us know he was an idiot
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by michaelm69
ATTENTION ALL NEWBIES!!!!!

PLEASE READ THE THREAD THROUGH BEFORE CALLING ANY CREDIT CARD COMPANIES OR POSTING THIS STUFF HERE.

YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED TO SEE THAT MANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS HAVE ANSWERS SO YOU DONT NEED TO CALL THE CC COMPANIES.

DONT MEAN TO BE AN A** BUT THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS

Thx
I did read every word of the sticky faq and all the recent thread posts before posting, in fact. No one mentioned the US Mint website specifically pointing out that no mileage credit would be given. The sticky faq also said that the coins were sold out, but they are now available again (backordered to 12/25). So it's clearly not up to date. Therefore, it's not that unreasonable to ask whether the caveat on the US Mint website is brand new, that something may have changed since sticky was posted. All I wanted to know was whether people had seen that caveat on the US Mint site before and got the cc credit anyway, a question which has not yet (that I could see) been specifically asked before in this forum, and to which I would still like just a yes or no answer please, thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:27 pm

Has anyone had experience sending the coins to USAA and being accepted? There are no chase branches where we live.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
I did read every word of the sticky faq and all the recent thread posts before posting, in fact. No one mentioned the US Mint website specifically pointing out that no mileage credit would be given. The sticky faq also said that the coins were sold out, but they are now available again (backordered to 12/25). So it's clearly not up to date. Therefore, it's not that unreasonable to ask whether the caveat on the US Mint website is brand new, that something may have changed since sticky was posted. All I wanted to know was whether people had seen that caveat on the US Mint site before and got the cc credit anyway, a question which has not yet (that I could see) been specifically asked before in this forum, and to which I would still like just a yes or no answer please, thanks!
FYI for the newbies...As a matter of fact, you (dd, mrjo, whatever) were the first one to post the "new wording" on the Mint website (in red) on Nov 12th...

Originally Posted by drumdrum
You mean posts like this one:
Looks like the changes are happening. My Congressional rep sent me this:

On any of the product detail pages from the $1 coin direct ship program ...

The purchase of $1 coins under the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Program is a cash equivalent or cash-like transaction. Ordinarily, such purchases are not eligible for credit card rewards, cash-back, cash rebate, and similar programs. Check with your card issuer for its terms and conditions.

That statement wasn't there yesterday.
Here's a link to the GW product detail page for quick reference:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...egory_rn=27238
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Some folks are reacting to big mouth posters who have brought alot of exposure to an opportunity which has been pretty sweet. Please don't wake sleeping dogs. (if any are still sleeping )

Admittedly the thread is very long and the sticky is dated. However, it is good reading and contains an answer to almost any question, no matter how nuanced.

Good luck!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even I who has ignored this thread for months can see that this drum drum person has manifested himself in mulotiple personalities now...
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:33 pm

Citi and Citibusiness set mine to zero and confirmed it in writing. Chase insists that it cannot be less than 20% of my credit limit. US Bank said my account has no cash advance feature. I prefer it set to zero. This way if I buy coins or fund a Citi account it can never be processed as a cash advance.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Did you read the posts 2 pages back? This was discussed and your question was answered in subsequent posts!

Cheers!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by sparksals
Has anyone had experience sending the coins to USAA and being accepted? There are no chase branches where we live.
You want to send the coins to USAA? AFAIK, they do not accept cash deposits by mail, though they do at their San Antonio branch. I think having the Mint send the coins directly to USAA would be difficult, and USAA might not accept them. If you sent them to USAA, I think you would lose a lot of the financial benefit. Regardless, I would get it in writing where to send them to and know how to properly make such a deposit.

Why not open an account at a different local bank?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
You want to send the coins to USAA? AFAIK, they do not accept cash deposits by mail, though they do at their San Antonio branch. I think having the Mint send the coins directly to USAA would be difficult, and USAA might not accept them. If you sent them to USAA, I think you would lose a lot of the financial benefit. Regardless, I would get it in writing where to send them to and know how to properly make such a deposit.

Why not open an account at a different local bank?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I don't want the mint to send the coins to USAA, I was thinking about how to deposit them in order to pay the Chase card b/c previous posts have stated that some banks won't take the coins as deposit, but will for payment of a credit card. All our Credit cards are USAA, except for a Bank of America card. No BoA branches here either.

I'm asking for a branch that we can deposit the coins in order to pay the BA/Chase Credit card. If I could have sent the coins to USAA for deposit, then I could pay the BA/Chase card online with the coin deposit.

I guess we could open a bank account locally, but then how would that allow us to pay the Chase card at their branch if it's not a Chase bank?

Am I missing something?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I don't think you could take the coins to a branch to pay the CC unless the card were issued by that bank. If you are in a Navy town, I have had good success depositing at Navy Federal. Talk with the manager at the bank you pick to open an account yet and come to an arrangement before you order any coins.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:05 pm

We're in the Minneapolis area - Wells Fargo and US Bank are pretty much the big banks here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.