Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
This happened to me at my local Citibank. I went in one day with $500 to deposit and the manager accused me of fraud demanded that I pay a $75 fee. I said no thanks and left with my $500. The next day I showed up with $5000 and told her I wanted to pay my Citi card.

She was NOT happy.
Nice ^

I have a Chase branch within walking distance of my house. Guess they'll be seeing more of me in the future
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by WBurcham
I received my final order today

Looks like the mint wised up at some point and changed the packaging...

The interesting part is that the barcode on these boxes is 11/30/09 so they were packaged AFTER the mint announcement.

the question I have is how did you put a picture in the post? Where are you linking it to in code?

MM
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:19 pm

Just like to put this out there, publicly that I do not need to "Use Some Common Sense".

I received a message asking that I remove the photo I posted of the coins being told that I need to provide less public details about the box.

Interestingly enough, lets guess, this came from someone who obviously has never received coins because then he'd understand that those boxes come in a larger one... One that is extremely common and varies based on order size.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
the question I have is how did you put a picture in the post? Where are you linking it to in code?
Look at the code when you quote it - s/he is using the [img] tag.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
I don't think mrpickles was showing off. Well, at least until drumdrum... you know... and that was well deserved ^

People will probably disagree with me, but I think mrpickles' posts probably encouraged/helped more people into the coin program or led to more/larger orders being placed with the mint. I see both of those as good things

I for one thank mrpickles for his posting.
Yea, a lot of good it will do, the program does not need anymore public attention than it already had/has. While the contribution to the thread is great, public advertisement to the masses in a mass media is a sure way to bring ANY loophole to end.

Jim
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Yea, a lot of good it will do, the program does not need anymore public attention than it already had/has. While the contribution to the thread is great, public advertisement to the masses in a mass media is a sure way to bring ANY loophole to end.

Jim
Agree, the less publicity that any special promotion / loophole receives the better. If things are done in moderation, they will last a lot longer with less publicity. Better for everyone involved.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Received $500 TJ's today.

Yes, the packaging is considerably different now. Much smaller boxes holding the 10 rolls, and as mentioned the white trays are gone. Which is a shame as I could use them to put poker chips in

Actually, in all seriousness, I like the new packaging. Much smaller, and clearly vastly reduced material used in the packaging. Not only better for the environment, but more importantly, much less cumbersome. No need to open the small boxes and consolidate them prior to putting them in my backpack and heading to the branch (not that it matters all that much in increments of $500, but, when/if those $24,750 orders are allowed again this will be appreciated).

As of yet the charge hasn't posted to my card yet. I see my available credit has been hit, but, no posted charge yet (purchase or otherwise).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by deant
Agree, the less publicity that any special promotion / loophole receives the better....
Loose lips sink ships.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
public advertisement to the masses in a mass media is a sure way to bring ANY loophole to end.
Little late for that, don't ya think?? lol
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by swintec
Well, this is only post # 6700. On this site.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:28 pm

no kidding!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Data point: order cancelled by mint

Was placed using Amex GC (yes, GC... purchased using a Visa-branded card, which did score bennies). Partial hold still showing on GC though all lines cancelled.

Current stats: batting .9 for this inning. Not too shabby.

As an aside, Happy Holidays to everyone, even the new FTers.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:10 pm
Original Member

Location: UA UGS 1K; US Chairman: AA Platinum: Marriott Platinum Premier; *wood Gold
I received $1,000 in coins today, 500 Jefferson's and 500 Madison's from an order placed on 6 November. The charge posted to my Citibank card this afternoon as a purchase.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:15 pm

I like the new little boxes without trays.

Time will tell, but my cash advance card limits are untouched while pending charges show even $500 increments.

FYI: When I called in, a Mint representative said it was too late to cancel a partial or full order once it had started being prepared for shipment, but if I really wanted to cancel an order I could simply refuse to accept the shipment when it is delivered. So, if your credit card is being hit for a cash advance, I guess you can tell the UPS guy to send it back and hope it all works out OK for you.

I don't see the reason for all this fuss. The Mint introduces a program, we follow the program & don't return any of the ordered product or try to claim fraudulent missing shipments, and people complain when the program is a roaring success?! The credit card companies are obviously making a profit or they wouldn't accept Mint charges. UPS makes a profit (minus the hernia bills for their staff!). The banks decide for themselves whether they want to accept the coins and charge whatever fees we're willing to pay or simply refuse them outright. What's the problem? Somebody getting something for nothing from the government?! Do the words "government bailout" and "stimulus money" ring a bell?! I'm not asking Obama to loan me a few billion. I just wish he'd get the Treasury to sell me some more savings bonds on my credit card so I can stop carrying all those damn coins!!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
If I found a hotel rate for $1, I would make the reservation, THEN let everyone here in on it, but I wouldn't be preaching it to the media.

I would say, with much confidence FEW have played the systems to the extent I have. With over 6 million miles earned with only 25k BIS. All which using the programs and loopholes in part spelled out in these forums. I have been asked to do Rotary club programs, newspaper interviews and such. I declined them all for fears that too much attention is going to bring to an end many of the benefits I enjoyed.

Now, when someone asks, I would point them here to the forums and tell them to figure it out for themselves. It is all spelled out here. I used the coin deal for a long time, not for bulk miles but in small quantities to meet spending requirements on credit cards. I could have done major miles earning with 6 figure credit cards, but I found that idea just too much work and a way to bring too much attention to the system, which others have done, BEFORE the WSJ article.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.