Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by kirax2
Really? I've never had that happen at the USPS or anywhere else. Did you just write "Please check I.D." on it or did you sign it as well? I have had places insist that they actually want a signature, so what I've gotten in the habit of doing is signing the left side and writing "Please check I.D." in small letters on the right side of the signature line. Of course, since I don't even have to SIGN anything at half the places I use it anymore (does this weird out anyone else?) I suppose it doesn't make much difference. I always thank people that do ask for my I.D. though.

Glad to hear you had such a great trip, M.M.!

-kirax2
thanks re. trip.
it was fab!
Anyway yes, I offered to sign the card and asked whether having both the sig AND see ID would work but strangely even if you did that they somehow invalidated you. Weird, huh? Almost overzealously annoying in fact! Why? Cuz they can.

in their smartness, they are actually dumb./
this was the always busy Burlington, MA post office, which is pretty big one too.
I had 3 postal workers on this... one was a supervisor. I see them often as I go there to deliver some work stuff from my office nearby now and then.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anthonyanthony
UPDATE AUG 11: Multiple coins are available for order today:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...category=16238

___ Original post ___

Buy Presidential $1 Coins with your rewards credit card from the US Mint at Face Value, and get free shipping.

Has this already been discussed?

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...egory_rn=16238

When placing an order, the pull-down shipping option may list a standard shipping price of $4.95. When you continue to the next screens, you should see the shipping amount show as $0.00 free shipping when you confirm and submit your order.

UPDATE JUNE 30: Product is not available.

UPDATE JULY 15 A.M.: Orders are being accepted again.

UPDATE JULY 15 P.M.: Product is not available.
Hey, ya know... I just want to THANK YOU again and again for posting this thread! Just letting you know!
AGAIN and AGAIN.
MM
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Hey, ya know... I just want to THANK YOU again and again for posting this thread! Just letting you know!
AGAIN and AGAIN.
MM
Hey, you're welcome. Actually, I saw this deal on another Internet forum where people were discussing its value for cash rebate credit cards. I knew this deal would be a hit with frequent flyers so I came here looking to see what Flyertalkers were saying about it. I was surprised to see it wasn't posted yet and was glad to be the first to break the deal here.

I actually just placed my first order for these coins several minutes ago. I hesitated and hesitated but decided to put an order in before the last of current coins becomes unavailable.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
UPS dropped my next two presidents at home this morning - no signature required. I happened to swing by home during lunch and saw them on the porch.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:01 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
I took $2500 to the bank today.....should have seen the teller's face.

Halothane
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by halothane
I took $2500 to the bank today.....should have seen the teller's face.
Don't take them all to the bank . . . I think the look of giving a cashier $30 in dollar coins because he won't accept credit cards for "small" gas purchases (against merchant agreement) is much more amusing. Also gets them in circulation.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Placed an order for $500 John Adam's on 8/20 and just last night received a shipping confirmation email (UPS Ground). Talk about taking their damn time...
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will be holding onto about $50-75 worth of coins to go to a red sox game next week and use them for beers in the stands. When I pass the money between other seated fans to the vendor who just passed over my drinks, I am sure I will get some looks. Heck, maybe like the wrapped snacks and cans of sodas, I will pitch the rolled $25 coins to the guy and see what happens!

I was in my bank today-- a local BofA. The teller knows me now and he loves these coins. He said he exchanged his own money for some after work one day and he keeps them in his car and/or gives them to kids and cousins as souvinirs.

He told me a lot of people ask for them and in fact, many Bank of America branches all over the state have been putting intranet requests for them so everything I have brought into that branch goes rather quickly. It then gets circulated, he said, as evidence of that at his own branch estimates at least 4500 of them were bought by interested customers in the past week alone. He joked to me that when I was away on vacation, they wished I was there to supply them with more coins instead.

I will try that ebay thing next time. See if some desperate and naive coin collector wanna be is willing to pay extra for them!
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, WN
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I was in my bank today-- a local BofA.
Hey, did you have to write your account number on every roll? We called our BofA to ensure they would take them all at once and they said yes but you have to write the acct number on every single roll. I've never seen this at my other banks so wanted to see if it was the guy messing with me....thanks
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:34 pm

I am a little upset at the US Mint because I buy directly from them and even have several subscription orders with them and each shipment cost me $4.95 extra. For the presidential dollar coins, I've been paying $35.95 plus $4.95 (S&H) for a total of $40.95 for each one ($25 roll) released so far i.e. 7 to date.

Q: Are the coins you received mixed P and D mint marks? I order single mint mark.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by primusux
Hey, did you have to write your account number on every roll? We called our BofA to ensure they would take them all at once and they said yes but you have to write the acct number on every single roll. I've never seen this at my other banks so wanted to see if it was the guy messing with me....thanks
Maybe you're overthinking this. I can't imagine calling my bank about whether they'd accept other legal tender. The fact that you'd call probably makes you sound suspicious-- the opposite of your intent.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Marathon Man:

I'm sure you have mentioned it previously, but do all of your and your wife's credit cards use the same billing address?

I'm thinking a second order using an unique credit card that just happens to be an authorized user on my account, sent to my office rather than my home, should work UNLESS they compare credit card billing addresses. What would you expect in this hypothetical scenario ?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by primusux
I'm really surprised to see people having so many problems depositing them, perhaps each BofA branch is different, but, I had no problems whatsoever.

Walked into my local BofA branch many times with the coins, the largest deposit being $1400. Every time I've had the coins not only in the original mint wrap, but, in the boxes they got shipped in (opened of course).

The tellers simply count the number of rolls and multiply by $25. That's it. No unwrapping them and putting them in a coin counter so they can then be wrapped again, no waiting 3-4 business days for them to 'count them', and no writing your account number on each roll nonsense.

If you're having to jump through hoops to deposit these, then perhaps if not considering another bank, at least consider another branch to deal with.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:18 pm

Same for me at WAMU and Chase. No hassals except for some questions from tellers about where I got them.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
BTW, if you're taking them to a BofA, Wells Fargo, etc, I STRONGLY recommend taking them to a real bank branch, not a supermarket branch. I have a friend that works in a supermarket branch and he said that they wouldn't be able to accept them if I ever brought them to him because: "our vault is the size of a shoe box!" A full-sized bank branch should have no problems.

Since my credit union instituted their unwise policy of charging for the deposit of each roll, I decided to take them to BofA instead. I went to a large branch and it turned out that the teller was another friend of mine! He deposited the coins into a long-fallow free checking account I've had for some time. I kept some and deposited the rest, and it was no problem. I didn't have to write my account number on each roll or anything like that. I have to say, usually I prefer my credit union, but BofA beat them this time.

BTW, I want to take back some of the nasty things I've said about these coins. I still think they're ugly. Putting the printing on the edge means that the faces look TOO simple, like play money to me. But it was awfully convenient having some in my pocket the other day. I think it will be particularly nice when traveling, since I won't want to keep opening my purse in the airport.

-kirax2

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.