Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Nov 10, 09, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
my bank takes my coins and adds them to whatever else they had intended to send via armored car = one shipment only.

and, your own last paragraph tells me you agree --- since my coins are now being added to an already scheduled armored car shipment, there is no additional charge.
Can you please explain how the mint is billed for shipments (UPS vs armored truck) vs how a bank is billed?

I would assume that a single bank would have much less to send to the Fed than the US Mint. Hence the bank would probably have a higher cost of transportation (on a per pound type basis). You also need to consider that, according to published reports, the banks are supposed to send the coins loose and need to be counted (not that they always do) vs the mint sending rolls or boxes of coins that do not require counting.

Is that your understanding? Also, you need to address 2 shipments (mint to individual / bank and bank to vault) vs 1 shipment (mint to vault).

If you can provide that information, I would gladly agree with you.

Last edited by deant; Nov 10, 09 at 9:08 pm
Old Nov 10, 09, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by balima View Post
That being said, please realize that many of us HAVE used the coins. Were it not for FT and Fatwallet, far fewer coins would have made it into circulation.
Granted many were deposited in banks, but lets be honest. When I drive thru Mickey D's and use a few NAs to pay for a coke, do you really think that they give the coins back out in change? Or is the more likely scenario that they get thrown into the deposit bag that night and deposited into the local bank anyway, just being used that one time? Thats my thoughts. But, and this is a big but, far more coins have been put into circulation than ever would have been by this so called scheme. Many people (including myself) carry a roll with us to pay in tips, small purchases, meters etc.

FTers have just taken advantage of an opportunity that presented itself. Nothing illegal, nothing immoral. We followed the rules, some to a greater degree than others, but still. Nothing wrong.
I used a roll today on my trip to St Pete to the VA Hospital, and as usual, at drivethru's the kids always say the coins are neat and say they will buy them from the register, so some are being kept as collectibles. I still find it really easy to keep them in the ashtray of the van and use them for tolls, burgers, and lottery. The bank branch today was happy to get them since people were actually asking for them. I usually mix up the box of 500 into at least 4 different types so it does not look like I am dumping them. I can only carry 1000 at a time and have never used the same branch twice of the same bank.

JudyJFLA
Old Nov 10, 09, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Stopped in Medicine Bow's Virginian. Enjoyed a steak sandwich. Left a stack of Andrew Jacksons.
Old Nov 10, 09, 9:08 pm

We've been able to hold off on having this thread locked for a while now, but it is becoming impossible. It is against the rules to call anyone a troll. It is not against the rules to be a troll.

Anyone you think is a troll should be on your ignore list. If you quote someone whom you think is a troll, then everyone who has ignored that person will have to see the post.

Please stop the personal attacks, and keep the discussion to the coin program.

The first thread lock will likely be for 48 hours.
Old Nov 10, 09, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
[Off topic passages removed by moderator]

I had a couple boxes of Madisons ship today, I ordered them on 11/4 and they were backordered the day I placed the order. I don't believe they ever went from "backordered" to "in stock and reserved," they were just backordered the whole time and then today they were shipped.

Last edited by Moderator2; Nov 10, 09 at 11:26 pm
Old Nov 10, 09, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Just got confirmation that 3 of my 5 presidents are shipping. And I was expecting them to be cancelled as it was a previous address and c.c. (At least I think it was.)
Old Nov 10, 09, 9:33 pm

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Thanks, mod. This thread has been helpful, in various ways, and a total waste of time in many others. Let's keep it helpful.
Old Nov 10, 09, 9:40 pm
Suspended

yay, another 20k showed up this morning from UPS, all prez. several new orders along with a couple backorders - apparently, one prez was backordered for awhile, i didn't even remember! back to the bank tomorrow
Old Nov 10, 09, 10:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Lately, there seem to be an increasing numberer of posts that contain factually incorrect information about how the Mint works, how banks work and how the Fed works.

[Impolite passage removed by moderator]

This thread would be so much more useful if people only posted what they knew to be correct. Documentation and reference links are always appreciated.

Last edited by Moderator2; Nov 10, 09 at 11:30 pm
Old Nov 11, 09, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by fly22much View Post
yay, another 20k showed up this morning from UPS, all prez. several new orders along with a couple backorders - apparently, one prez was backordered for awhile, i didn't even remember! back to the bank tomorrow
It is really helpful to keep a spreadsheet of all your order; the more lines, the better. I keep track of when I ordered, what arrived, what hasn't, where I've deposited them, etc. Yes, I'm anal, but when something doesn't match up, I can solve it very quickly.

Mike
Old Nov 11, 09, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by AAbuzzard View Post
Thanks, mod. This thread has been helpful, in various ways, and a total waste of time in many others. Let's keep it helpful.
A HUGE ^. You know, like the size of one of those #1 fingers they sell at the ballpark.

Mike
Old Nov 11, 09, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by mikeef
Originally Posted by fly22much View Post
It is really helpful to keep a spreadsheet of all your order; the more lines, the better. I keep track of when I ordered, what arrived, what hasn't, where I've deposited them, etc. Yes, I'm anal, but when something doesn't match up, I can solve it very quickly.

Mike
This is good advice, and I kind of regret not doing it. OTOH, I have fewer and smaller orders so it has not been overwhelming just yet
Old Nov 11, 09, 8:38 am

Ordered $2k in presidents early last week and got them delivered today. Nice. Placed 2 orders since then.

I'm going to hate getting 5 shipments of $2k each, but ... whatevers.
Old Nov 11, 09, 10:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
Just noticed....it says "Orders are limited to two boxes ($500) per President." It is unclear whether or not that is "per order" or "total orders for that product."

Perhaps this is why multiple shipments of President's seem to be OK
Old Nov 11, 09, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef View Post

Mike
Me too, except I did it in the most primitive method by my pencil - simply print out the order, confirmation letter, circle the order number, write down the CC used. Write down the changes of status as they occurred. When the shipment notice arrives, print that. When shipment arrives, print UPS delivery details. Staple all 4 sheets together, write down where the coins are going. File the stack and be done with a lot.

That said, I use Microsoft's Money which I post every little details of household financial. I post the entries when the coins actually arrive (the CCs are billed and coins are deposited.) Anytime I can pull up a report of different period / format / category, to see both big picture and little details. That is why I dont need a spreadsheet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: