Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Sep 3, 08, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Just spent my last JQA dollars and called the mint - they say my order was packed last week and should ship soon
Old Sep 3, 08, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
only Andrew Jackson is available for the distribution but there are 3 other coins available for the collectors purchase.
The collectors' coins are different from the circulating coins.
Old Sep 3, 08, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
George, John, Thomas, James, give me another chance

Only Andrew is currently available. Is it over , or is the offer made available when the Mint makes more Coins?
Old Sep 3, 08, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
Only Andrew is currently available. Is it over , or is the offer made available when the Mint makes more Coins?
There's a quarterly release schedule. The info is on the US Mint website and you'll see a link to it in the early stages of this thread.
Old Sep 3, 08, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
Bank of America is happy to take them in rolls.
Not my location. In fact, the teller gave me an attitude and told me they could only take them if the coins were removed from the rolls and placed in a special bag. And then they have to be taken to another location to be counted - a process that supposedly takes 3-4 business days.
Old Sep 3, 08, 10:21 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Ive been to many a bank that didnt have a change machine, cant ever remember any bank that refused to accept rolled coins , especially if its the mint that rolled them
They don't refuse to take them, but instead of handing the teller
rolled coins, you deposit them into the coin counter.
Old Sep 4, 08, 1:09 am

whats the point? if you are gonna simply make a deposit with all of them just give them to the teller as they come all rolled up. Why waste your time unrolling all of them?
The other FTers answered it for me. It's either that or I get to write my account number on every single roll and deposit them at my other bank. Box cutter + rolls sounds a lot more fun than putting my acct # on every single roll.
Old Sep 4, 08, 1:12 am

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
If they follow the same pattern as the previous release, sometime around November 14th or so the next one will become available. For several weeks after that the other Presidents will come in and out of availability, so it's good to watch the page carefully - and this thread.

-kirax2
Old Sep 4, 08, 2:30 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat, UA MM *G, HHonors Silver, Marriott Rewards Gold, IC Ambassador
I picked up my order from my PO on Sat. 1 DSR each of GW, JA, TJ, JM. I placed the order on 8/19 and 8/20 and got a notice to pick up the package last Friday. Tried to deliver it when I wasn't home. I deposited it all except for one Adams roll at Bank of America, the teller didn't unwrap them or even count them in my presence. I bought a can of orangeade at a gas station for $1, and wrestled with unwrapping the roll for a few seconds before the gas station attendant saw what I had and got really excited, he offered me $24 in bills in for the whole roll. Deal accepted. Do'in my part to promote $1 coin circulation.
Old Sep 4, 08, 6:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
Commerce Bank does not take rolls of coins. They make you undo them and run the coins through the Penny Arcade (their coin counter). They even offer assistance to undo the rolls. But what a giant waste of resources.
LOL! It's funny to bring waste of resources into the picture, considering what we're collectively putting the Mint through in the first place, although, yes, they've practically asked for it.
Old Sep 4, 08, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
recap of happy times and info fer ya all!

I have gotten back from my week-long Wed 27th-Wed 3rd vacation at Matha's Vinyahd with my family. It was great weather and a very relaxing time indeed. No computers, very little TV and just beaches. Ahhhhh...^

I did bring $250 worth of new James Monrow coins and used all of the rolls up.

In most every case, store clerks raised an eyebrow or had to do a double take. Most places there do not take credit cards so bringing CASH was key, and what a better use of it! One store clerk said he saw a lot of them at the post office and in some vending machines.

(to those who feel we abuse this thing by just cashing them out, just balance it all out by going to vacation spots like this that do not take CCs and use the coins there. OR, pay your property taxes with them by bringing a big bag of coins into town hall! My prop taxes are $1,300+ a quarter and I own two properties.)

Anyway, I became "the coin guy" on that island and believe me, we went everywhere! We frequented a lot of spots too, and at one bakery they wanted more coins. I even had a customer in line behind me want to buy one of the coins from me for her collection (1 for 1 of course)

Another guy pulled me aside when I was grabbing our coffess and asked me why I had so many so I told him a bit of this scheme to which he said, " I was considering doing that myself but didn't get around to it and wanted to hear from someone else if it would work!"

Yesterday aft, while listening to the radio on our drive back home with the Red Sox pulling off one of thier best comebacks of the year in the 9th inning (to a game which I later checked my email and learned I could have been invited to!), we pulled into find all the 'held mail' now on our porch. It gets delivered around 4pm and it was nearly 5 now. There were $1,500 worth of coins in the boxes! Ffffewwwwwww! Good thing we have a decent neighborhood.

One $500 set was my last order of GWs and unless new coins are available I am currently maxed out--with this card and address...

BUT the other $1,000 set was a test for my wife--with the "Apt 1" in the address and her hyphenated last name!

IT WORKED!

AND, she checked her email later too, and she got an email saying another test order she did with her AMEX with "#1" in the address but with our normal last name is also on its way!

SOOOOOO, the simple change in address DOES work!

Should I not post this because I will kill it or should we all get more miles now and ride the big wave that, like any we found on the many beaches of the famed island, will eventually crest and wash away no matter who gets in the water?

Remember, people, these things come and go. Use them now and enjoy the ride. Life is to be enjoyed and all I can do to make up for my gleeful attitude is to attempt to share info in order to help others with the stuff that gave me joy. It is no crime (unless you happen to NOT be a Red Sox fan for some strange reason) That's what I say!

Here are my replies to many related issues and concerns below:

I wasnt trying to make or tell people Not to deposit them into their bank acct.

Only if that is what a person wants to do, Fine, just they shouldnt Shout it out by posting that is what they are doing.

the mint on their own can DUMP them by all the banks, that doesnt mean they will be changing hands. the Mint was hoping that the public would use them in everyday transactions so as to get us use to them , thusly it will take the Dollar bill out of the system

To me it makes no difference if someone takes $3000 and deposits it immediately into their acct. Only PLEASE dont post thats what you are doing
Ahhh, but isnt this basically suggesting that this entire thread shouldnt be broadcasted either? Think about it...

Originally Posted by GSR View Post
I deposited 2000 dollar coins at Wachovia this morning. They didn't say much, but it sure took a lot to unbox all of them. What a pain...but worth it for miles!
Thusly, it confirms that miles are NOT free. And we all love this game anyway. It's not the work, it's what you perceive to receive

I happen to agree, but have learnt never to say/think never, when 1 least expects it you find something out the hard way.

So its I feel a good policy to get used to doing things rather then drawing possible attention to yourself/others
the world has changed. We live in times where being honest or telling it all gets you nowhere. Sad but true--for some. I say NO. I will tell generally you what I do in life. I will teach my children to do the same in most every case.

Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
That's what this program is designed for and what I plan to do. As a previous poster had mentioned, why let someone catch on to a possible knot in the system that they weren't expecting that can be exploited for miles?

Heck, if you wanted to be swift about it, open up a miles-bonus CC, run this transaction and then close the account when your bonus has posted.
That has always been and will continue to be my goal.

Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
I disputed the charge with my cc company and I will let them deal with this freaking mess named US Mint. On round 2 I again have an email with tracking numbers working nowhere and still nothing showing up for days after they supposedly shipped...same like round 1....and if they make me do the refund form I will tell them to bite me!

Not worth the hassle for me, I have a very low threshold for bulllshit like this
Sadly, when a person or a credit card or an order gets wrapped up in a system, some systems are not designed to just let them go back into the mix without issues. I have seen this before. An example is the court system and kids who get in trouble with the law. Once IN, they become a working cog and it is hard to get OUT. Sad but true. I can only hope that you will get out and that your next order will run smoothly. I suspect it would, as everything is done here by computers and your first order simply went down the bad path for some reason. That bad path, as explained above, is not fully designed to work for the customer right now.

Originally Posted by jcwik View Post
I have been told the same thing. She said many people were abusing this by ordering to different addresses with the same credit card so they are now reviewing every single order and checking for this! She did not know how long it would take, but implied that it could be a while. She said I would receive an email with the tracking number when it is sent and that it would be sent by USPS.
people can play the system but be smart about it: (1) use a different card, not just a dif address. (2) credit card companies would hate it if you changed your address too many times too. Would make them somewhat suspicious, I think.

Originally Posted by kirax2 View Post
I used to run credit cards for a shipping company and there is one thing I can tell you: when I was there, we had NO WAY of verifying the name on a credit card. We could verify the zip code of the billing address of the credit card and the three digit security code, but there was no way for us to tell if the name of the person on the credit card matched the name that was given to us. I don't know if this was only true at my company, or if things have changed since I worked there, but I have found that when I purchase things online it doesn't seem to matter if I input my name exactly as it appears on my card or not (i.e. sometimes I just use my initials, or leave out the middle initial, etc.) and I believe it doesn't matter.

I always write "please check I.D." on the back of my card as well as signing it, partly because of my experience at that company.

Hope this helps,
-kirax2
sadly, at the USPS, they dont even TAKE cards that say SEE ID on the back. I was told that showing my driver's license wouldnt even help back my card up in one instance... The lady behind the counter wanted a WHOLE NEW CARD or form of payment! To her, that one was now invalid. Why? She said that people could use a FAKE ID, thereby prompting a cashier to take the card, use the ID to back it up, and not pay as much attention to the ID because now they just saw the person show a second form of identification, but that second form, the license, was fake, but the cashiers are not looking for that nor might they be trained for it like a cop or a bouncer/bartender would. And yes, I was told this by 3 postal workers one afternoon and I was blown away.

Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
I received my box today....several days after getting an email that they were shipped! The first time they never showed up...I reversed the disputed charge with my cc company....My postal worker delivered to my door & I had to sign for it...she said "heavy box, what is it?" I said " I have no idea"....clearly I had forgotten all about it and there was no US Mint anywhere on it...just a "Fuilfillment Center" name...

I am not ordering again, too much time/hassle for me. ymmv
I have received emails saying things have shipped "today" with "today" being say, 81/9. But if you read further on in the same email, it again mentions a ship date. In one 8/19 email, the second ship date mentioned in the email was 8/27 and in another it was 8/30. I got the 8/27 one but the 8/30 one has not yet come. Of course, we did just have a holiday so 9/1 was not a business day. I expect it this week.

I have learned that I would not worry about things until they have NOT come for some time.
Old Sep 4, 08, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Logged into Mint's site last night after calling yesterday - no shipping information.
Logged into Mint's site this morning - although no E-mail, there's a UPS shipping number and my Jefferson and Adams' are out for delivery today . . .

FYI - this is the order from 19 August.

Last edited by icurhere2; Sep 4, 08 at 9:29 am
Old Sep 4, 08, 9:47 am

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
sadly, at the USPS, they dont even TAKE cards that say SEE ID on the back. I was told that showing my driver's license wouldnt even help back my card up in one instance... The lady behind the counter wanted a WHOLE NEW CARD or form of payment! To her, that one was now invalid. Why? She said that people could use a FAKE ID, thereby prompting a cashier to take the card, use the ID to back it up, and not pay as much attention to the ID because now they just saw the person show a second form of identification, but that second form, the license, was fake, but the cashiers are not looking for that nor might they be trained for it like a cop or a bouncer/bartender would. And yes, I was told this by 3 postal workers one afternoon and I was blown away.
Really? I've never had that happen at the USPS or anywhere else. Did you just write "Please check I.D." on it or did you sign it as well? I have had places insist that they actually want a signature, so what I've gotten in the habit of doing is signing the left side and writing "Please check I.D." in small letters on the right side of the signature line. Of course, since I don't even have to SIGN anything at half the places I use it anymore (does this weird out anyone else?) I suppose it doesn't make much difference. I always thank people that do ask for my I.D. though.

Glad to hear you had such a great trip, M.M.!

-kirax2
Old Sep 4, 08, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In for $500 Andrew Jackson now.

When combined with other expenses, is it depressing that I'm going to blow through both of my DL AmEx mile boosts in less than 3 months?
Old Sep 4, 08, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
just another update

I had 2 orders that said they shipped on 8/19, and in the lower section of both emails, one said it really was sent out on 8/27 and the other was sent out on 8/30.

the 8/27 one came.

today a ups truck--not dhl or usps--showed up with the one that said it was sent 8/30.

Wife + self have received all coins thus far.

here's how it went down:

1) my NWA visa card:

$3,000 worth over time to date, to my home address as is on the card.

2) My wife's mastercard with hypenated last name, meaning my last name is second, meaning her las name actually starts with something else in the alphabet... she used a AA Mastercard for a $2,500 order but 3 sets were 'cancelled out' of this order, making me initially worry that everything would fall thru. Instead, as later suspected, it was really because of what the mint said: "Items no longer available." the other $1,000 was charged to this card.

She used same home address but added "Apt 1" to the first line of it and the $1,000 order of coins did come just this week!

3) My wife's AMEX with just our normal last name and only "#1" in the first address line for her. This was a test of $500 order which went thru, got charged to the card and arrived today!

We have received everything and unless new coins after Geo Wash come out, I cannot use my visa anymore. I can certainly change the address on my other cards and order everything again though! So it seems.

We can also order all remaining coins for my wife that her 2 CCs have not already received, and using "Apt1" or "#1" will work again.

it seems that the hyphenated last name matters not. It is merely by address, which I suspected all along. I am sure if someone were really monitoring this, having the hyphenated last name could help because they would probably miss the person on a list, but in terms of computers, big government machines and how things are read, this simply address change does in fact work.

I would use different cards though, because they probably do notihce that. In other words, I would probably NOT just try to change my same NWA visa to a new address and reorder with that. Instead, I would use a whole new card.

I do not think one needs to have a wife or husband to make this work either but it sure can help because if someone were looking over lists at the mint, that would look more normal to them too.

Well, that's my summation. On to ordering thousands more for the wife!

Aruba-Aspen-Thailand-Maui-NYC-Tahoe-Fiji-etc... here we come! (eventually)

MM

Search this Thread
Search Engine: