Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by drumdrum
My Congressman said his inquiry has prompted the halt of unlimited purchases from the Mint through the direct ship program.
Hi Brian,

I called Rep. Jim McDemott's office after your post and got through to the Congressman himself. He said he has no idea about any coin program from the mint and that he was focused on Healthcare and the economy per his constituents' concerns in the greater Seattle area.

Thanks for all your concern about the program, and I'm very happy to hear that you got your $20k back.

Were you able to acrue any miles from that $20k or was it refunded to your credit card?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
MS. Pickles?

My Congressman said his inquiry has prompted the halt of unlimited purchases from the Mint through the direct ship program. They will resume once new guidelines are in place that hinder purchases that are solely for arbitrage purposes.
He has asked me for data points concerning the shipping methods the US Mint uses so any waste originating from this could be addressed with the program manager. I sent him a link to this thread and lot's of pics.
He was especially distraught over the numerous UPS shipments Pickles received that were immediately shipped back. I pointed out to him that she was just one of thousands taking advantage of this program to that extent.
To those that have documented their arbitrage with pictures, my Congressman said thanks (and under his breath he said "that was stupid of them").

When did Mr. Pickles become a girl?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to this thread and the direct ship program, I spent much time browsing the US Mint's catalog online and have purchased quite a few coin collector packages for gifts and my safe. There are still some where you can get silver coins. I can't afford the gold ones now, but I can save for them, right?

So, there is definitely benefit to the US Mint and its programs. I think most people who just started are only wishing they had started sooner; perhaps the one poster who is so adamant about the morality of this program can share his/her Congressman's phone# and the rest of us can call in to support the US Mint.

BTW, if you truly believe the miles are not morally gained, you are free to donate the miles. All the major miles programs allow you to donate the miles easily online. That's another great way to show appreciation for those in service and/or those who are sick and need a way to travel to a faraway hospital.

Last edited by ChaseTheMiles; Nov 8, 2009 at 10:04 am
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:59 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
My Congressman is up in arms about the round trip the coins are making, the pollution and government waste is what he is emphasizing. His recent email to me is reassuring that he is taking the appropriate steps to bring this to the attention of those able to make the necessary changes. (paraphrasing)
Wow. You've really had a change of heart re: the environment and government waste since your intial "order" of $20,000 in coins. What an amazing about face you've made. Well done you!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't ask him what he thought about it. I did get my money back quickly once he got involved.
IIRC, in your original posts, it was because you reportedly lost the 20,000 of coins that you started alleging the direct ship program as a "scam". Now that you have your alleged loss back, is it still a "scam"? Doesn't it mean that the system worked? If you read the US Mint's terms of condition as well as the other posters' experiences, all you needed to do was to follow the procedures.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
He has asked me for data points concerning the shipping methods the US Mint uses so any waste originating from this could be addressed with the program manager. .
Asking for data points from someone that has had ONE supposedly unsuccessful delivery attempt in the program, seems to be a frivolous waste of time. It seems to me that your congressman is serving his constituents extremely well!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Disney purchase?

Regarding the Disney purchase? Was wondering if this was documented as actual fact or just pieced together from various "sources"
Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by pkerr
Regarding the Disney purchase? Was wondering if this was documented as actual fact or just pieced together from various "sources"
Thanks
http://www.coinnews.net/2009/10/21/w...rican-1-coins/

Note that they are using NA coins.
I wonder if folks in the Disney accounting dept. have surpassed Mr.Pickles?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by PatMike
http://www.coinnews.net/2009/10/21/w...rican-1-coins/

Note that they are using NA coins.
I wonder if folks in the Disney accounting dept. have surpassed Mr.Pickles?
I think Mr. Pickles is ordering for Disney
Old Nov 8, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
So, there is definitely benefit to the US Mint and its programs. I think most people who just started are only wishing they had started sooner; perhaps the one poster who is so adamant about the morality of this program can share his/her Congressman's phone# and the rest of us can call in to support the US Mint.
+1

Please, drumdrum, do tell which Member of Congress this is. I will surely contact his or her DC and district office(s) by phone, fax, email & snail mail in support of this program.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:12 pm
Suspended

There is no need for anyone to know which congress rep is pushing these changes. I am sending ALL of them the same package that illustrates the scam.
I don't think this program will emerge with the same guidelines if it does ever start again. There will be no more unlimited orders, that has been made clear.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:33 pm

There is no need for anyone to know which congress rep is pushing these changes. I am sending ALL of them the same package that illustrates the scam.
I don't think this program will emerge with the same guidelines if it does ever start again. There will be no more unlimited orders, that has been made clear.
I sent them all a package as well, but for the opposite reason - to support the program. They all agree there is no scam, and asked that we be patient because unlimited orders will be back in 2010.

Lets see who's package does a better job.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:00 pm

I wonder if they have something better to do. Try to remember the scale of money Congress deals with. After all trillion is the new billion.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:50 pm

I'll repeat again, if you think a user is a troll, *please* add him/her to your ignore list. Feeding of trolls is what they want!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:40 pm

My Congressman is up in arms about the round trip the coins are making, the pollution and government waste is what he is emphasizing. His recent email to me is reassuring that he is taking the appropriate steps to bring this to the attention of those able to make the necessary changes. (paraphrasing)
Originally Posted by aviators99
Let's see the e-mail, please.
Originally Posted by aviators99
I'll repeat again, if you think a user is a troll, *please* add him/her to your ignore list. Feeding of trolls is what they want!
No offense, but one should heed one's own advice if they're to be taken seriously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.