Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PatMike
I only posted the e-mail to show that it is STILL going strong.
The copy that I received today had a TON of recipients.
I have some Polks and they have "In God We Trust" on the front, I guess the Mint decided it was too much to expect people to actually examine the coins. See if you can find anybody who refuses NAs for that reason, and if you do, show them "In God We Trust" right on the front of the coin and laugh and point at them.

If you can find a Washington through van Buren without the edge printing, that one will actually be without "In God We Trust".
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
^ snopes is one of my favorite sites though the family members that pass along this nonsense don't really appreciate me much for debunking the "omg, this info must be true b/c i got it in an email" information. some of them refuse to check the facts before getting up in arms about such things.

on topic: just did my first order. yes, late to the game but hoping for good results. bummed i seem to have missed the NA this year but there is always next year.
You too?! I ve given up trying to be nice... I just reply with the url for the proper Snopes page.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I only posted the e-mail to show that it is STILL going strong.
The copy that I received today had a TON of recipients.
Don't worry, we know you're good.

Mike
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by pkerr
You too?! I ve given up trying to be nice... I just reply with the url for the proper Snopes page.
^ yes, me too. it depends on my mood the day i get the "spam" email. whenever anyone cc's me onto a forwarded email, i go straight to snopes to check it out. and then send the link to the sender. one time i did cc it to all 20+ recipients which made to sender look dumb. i don't do that any more. afterwards, i did have one of my SiLs argue with me that "we would all see when the whatever it was showed up on the shelves" (this was for a supposed removal of either the flag or in god we trust on something.)

as for the coins, not sure if i care one way or the other as long as the mint ships my order.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:39 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by soitgoes
[I]REFUSE NEW COINS

'IN GOD WE TRUST' IS GONE!!!
Will this urban legend ever die?[/QUOTE]

Will not-so-intelligent-or-courteous people who forward emails like this one ever stop forwarding them?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
whenever anyone cc's me onto a forwarded email, i go straight to snopes to check it out. and then send the link to the sender. one time i did cc it to all 20+ recipients which made to sender look dumb. i don't do that any more.
I always CC everyone that the original sender CC'd, otherwise there are still 19 people running around and forwarding the wrong info--think of it as a dumba** virus...

And, the likelihood of the OS correcting their mistake is close to nil.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by swintec
It only takes a few to ruin it for all...many will probably remember the loophole for the AmEx travelers check purchases and how that got shut down, no thanks to the folks who maxed out credit card after credit card almost daily.
Well, I'm glad there are people like you who don't max out such opportunities, it allows others such as myself to do so

Seriously, there is no reason to 'take the bullet' on these things, because there is absolutely zero way you can control what others who know about a loop hole will do. Best you can do is be discreet and max it out yourself while it lasts.

BTW: You're more likely to bring attention to a loophole by calling the company and 'asking' if you can exploit it. Example:

CSR: Hello, American Express, Tina Speaking, can I help you?

Caller: Hi, can I buy American Express Travelers Cheques at face value, and it will count as a purchase, not a cash advance, and I can then earn my SPG points for this purchase, and then immediately after deposit the cheques into my bank account to later pay off the statement, while I enjoy the float for the next month until the statement is due?

CSR: Uhm? I'm not sure of this, let me ask my Supervisor...

Supervisor to CSR: Why do people keep calling about this Travelers Cheques question? I'm going to have to ask upper management about what this deal is...

On the other hand, just discreetly going about your business and maxing it out will not generate such a conversation. Hell, I milked that Travelers Cheques deal for over a year at $3K per week. I'm glad I didn't take your advice and limit that to about $200 a month or something.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
deleted
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jdivenere
Order number #33333333 is coming up...Whose gonna get it??
Got Order #33333011. Someone is going to get it within the next 15 mins.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Order Number: 33333172
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Order Number: 33333172
Wow. 33 MILLION orders! This is some program. I kinda wish it would go away. My arms are tired.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thebat
Wow. 33 MILLION orders! This is some program. I kinda wish it would go away. My arms are tired.
33333332, and a few seconds later, 33333336.

Who got 33333333?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by thebat
I kinda wish it would go away. My arms are tired.
I thought that it was sort of going away with the NAs gone and most of the Presidents on backorder.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:00 pm

Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
33333332, and a few seconds later, 33333336.

Who got 33333333?
Maybe someone on Fatwallet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.