Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
My local Chase branch has started counting the coins. Today I deposited $1000, they came back after 10 minutes of counting and had me initial a change in the deposit slip: $1001. They insisted there was an extra dollar in one of the rolls. I questioned it but they insisted their counting machine is accurate.
I had the exact same thing happen last Thursday at a Chase branch. Came back at $1 more than expected. Even more unexpectedly, they had just had their machine serviced and cleaned and I was the first person to bring in coins since it was done, so there couldn't have been other coins stuck in the machine from a previous customer.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
My local Chase branch has started counting the coins. Today I deposited $1000, they came back after 10 minutes of counting and had me initial a change in the deposit slip: $1001. They insisted there was an extra dollar in one of the rolls. I questioned it but they insisted their counting machine is accurate.

I had the exact same thing happen last Thursday at a Chase branch. Came back at $1 more than expected. Even more unexpectedly, they had just had their machine serviced and cleaned and I was the first person to bring in coins since it was done, so there couldn't have been other coins stuck in the machine from a previous customer.
Riveting.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum
I just realized that meters take dollar coins. I guess Im gonna start using them!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:15 pm

Iopened a Chase checking account(thanks to the fters) and told the "private banker" assigned to me that i would be bringing coins- -quaters? -no $s. Thats OK. I:" any limit?" Chase:" how many?" I: about 2500 each time. Chase "No problem" lets see what happens.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by eager to learn
Iopened a Chase checking account(thanks to the fters) and told the "private banker" assigned to me that i would be bringing coins- -quaters? -no $s. Thats OK. I:" any limit?" Chase:" how many?" I: about 2500 each time. Chase "No problem" lets see what happens.
I did the same but at a different bank. Got the same welcome. Even from the branch mgr. But when the higher ups found out they stopped that right there.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
"Those aren't dollars, kid, those are Starpoints."
That's one of the best lines I've heard in years. Thanks Cheapskate! ^
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by TwoShipps
That's one of the best lines I've heard in years. Thanks Cheapskate! ^
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:58 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
My orders are shipping.

Placed a few orders before they pulled the 09 NA's and it looks like they're about to ship.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:39 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
i guess them pulling the NA is a good thing for me...gotta kick the habit eventually right? and i didn't have to go cold turkey.
however old habits don't die hard.. can't wait till next year or whenever they release the '10 NA's
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Andy2

It sure has been a great ride. When I am shucking dollar coins for the coin counting machine, I am going to keep one to bring with me on the trips this program has generated.
I've had a great run and kept one box of 500 coins to feed them into everyday spending. I've never had any pushback.

Mike
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My last big order shipped yesterday and should be here today. Guess this is it for a while.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by brasov02
Riveting.
Someone reported earlier that their bank claimed a roll was short. It's not significant if the bank counting machines are making errors on our coins. However, it is significant to this thread if those machines are correct, and the mint is packing some rolls with 24 or 26 coins.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: United, SPG
Anyone know what mrpickles total amount of miles received from this was? I was searching the thread but couldnt find anything.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by onesweetworld
Anyone know what mrpickles total amount of miles received from this was? I was searching the thread but couldnt find anything.
My guess is going to be in the 1.4-1.8m miles range
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by icurhere2
As an FYI - the US Mint appears to have stopped packing boxes with $2,500 in coins; a $5,000 order is now three boxes.
Noticed the same...got 6 boxes yesterday for my $10k order. Weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.