Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: A few
I see that someone on the disney link pointed out something that explains the uphill battle the mint has:

"While this sounds like a great idea, the last thing I want to do is have a bunch of heavy coins in my pocket all day. Thanks!"

Actually they should just do what our mint back home (UK) did and that is just force the issue. When I was a kid we use to have 1 pound notes all the time. Then they brought in the coins. Then they just stopped making the notes. After a while they came up with a date at which point the notes would no longer be legal tender. And know 1 pound coins are the norm and notes are history.

As for the site, I placed an order yesterday, no hold on the card, it's showing overall "on hold" but the coins are "in stock and reserved". last time it was on some funny status for a few days then they shipped so I will presume the same here and look forward to the next batch. I guess they have just stopped doing the initial hold on the card

I've been told by my bank I am fine doing this. I won't do more than 5k a month so I'm not a big spender. I can frankly only afford to make the trip to the bank once a month. There is some theoretical risk I could get mugged on the way... but hey I'm going there in a car worth 75k so I'm guessing there is more chance of a car-jacking!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:42 pm

Is there any way around to 100K limit on Citi AA cards besides being AA elite?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Get another Citi card.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Geez, that's better then I thought, I seem to remember it being 25k.

Is that a limit on the (inbound) AA account, or the (outbound) Citi account? If on the Citi account... just get another card.

If you're moving this type of coin, I'm suprised you're not already a 1MM LT Gold.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I see that someone on the disney link pointed out something that explains the uphill battle the mint has:

While this sounds like a great idea, the last thing I want to do is have a bunch of heavy coins in my pocket all day. Thanks!
Actually they should just do what our mint back home (UK) did and that is just force the issue. When I was a kid we use to have 1 pound notes all the time. Then they brought in the coins. Then they just stopped making the notes. After a while they came up with a date at which point the notes would no longer be legal tender. After a while they came up with a date at which point the notes would no longer be legal tender. And know 1 pound coins are the norm and notes are history.
I quote what you quoted:

"While this sounds like a great idea, the last thing I want to do is have a bunch of heavy coins in my pocket all day."

Who would want to carry around several one-pound coins? And I wonder how they could make one-pound notes. What kind of paper did they use?

Someone had to say it.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
... There is some theoretical risk I could get mugged on the way... but hey I'm going there in a car worth 75k so I'm guessing there is more chance of a car-jacking!
That's a car-jacking with benefits.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by musikdude
Looks like DisneyWorld is trying to help out the Mint!!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-disney-world/
... or someone who works at Disney is going to get a massive amount of points.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:35 pm

Thanks for all the helpful info. So far I've been able to acquire 160k+ miles in only 2 months just by buying the Presidential coins. It hasn't cost me one penny accept gas to get to the bank where I had to go anyway. On top of that, yesterday I called CS on all 5 five cards and threatened to cancel. They gave me 3k miles for free on the personal cards and double miles up to 10k on my business cards. I need about 350k for all the flights that I'm taking on my RWT and still have about 7 months till I leave. The way things are going I should reach my goal. I haven't tried funding a checking account yet, better to just keep things simple. I also use the account for personal and business purchases so not to look like a "churner".

On another note, my younger brother is in the market for a new car and is ready to pay cash. If your limit is high enough, has anyone ever purchased a $15k-$20k car on a CC and paid it right off? Any downsides or possible repercussions?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by bmore92sr20
On another note, my younger brother is in the market for a new car and is ready to pay cash. If your limit is high enough, has anyone ever purchased a $15k-$20k car on a CC and paid it right off? Any downsides or possible repercussions?
Not any different than when I buy 99 boxes of coins for $24,750 and push a payment from my checing account the day it ships from the US Mint, is it.

Of course you can, but you might not find a dealership who would accept a charge over 3-5K. They don't want to pay the cc discount fees.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I don't get this. First, is this just with Amex?

Next, it's just re-upping your credit limit immediately. It doesn't raise the number, but just allows a charge to use the credit and have it replenish. You still can't do one charge in excess of your limit, but you can do two in a row.

Why would a credit card processor not want that? They get the float and they're sure to get payment on any amount over your credit limit in that cycle.
Because once your check posts to your cc account you can purchase another 10k in coins and then put a stop payment order on you check. The Mint would ship your coins and the cc company is out the 10k on the bad check and 10k on the purchase, when you theoretically only have a 10k credit line. They worry about people then flaking out on the account and taking off with the 20k cash.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mrpickles
Because once your check posts to your cc account you can purchase another 10k in coins and then put a stop payment order on you check. The Mint would ship your coins and the cc company is out the 10k on the bad check and 10k on the purchase, when you theoretically only have a 10k credit line. They worry about people then flaking out on the account and taking off with the 20k cash.
Some of these rules are outdated, though. You could do a bill pay, so the funds are relatively safe, yet the CC company will still freak out.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Some of these rules are outdated, though. You could do a bill pay, so the funds are relatively safe, yet the CC company will still freak out.
It is not safe for the cc company because if your bank does bill pay by check rather than electronic payment you can still issue a stop payment. Also electronic payments can be reversed, even electronic direct deposits and cashiers checks are subject to verification. Unless ALL banks have a no reversal policy, you will see credit card companys have this policy across the board.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:25 pm

A BUNCH of coins from 10/13 & 14 shipped today... long night tomorrow night.

One order from the 14th hasn't shipped but all of my orders from the 15th and 16th which would normally ship tomorrow or Thursday are still on hold...

Strangely enough, my backorders are no longer backorders... BUT no charges have taken place.

... mint!?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:27 pm

My order from 10/15, which was "on hold" earlier today is now "in process".

No worries :-)
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:56 pm

$16,000 non-Native coins ordered today. $500 of Thomas Jefferson being shipped today by the Mint to fulfill a recent short-shipped order. Have a nice day, y'all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.