Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Hmmm. I got the HH Amex (Surpass) a few months ago with a ~7.5k limit and have been turning it over about 2x a month with coins. I usually pre-pay a bit (up to 1k, but no more). I've also been doing exactly 2k/month with my DL Amex (no prepayments, etc) that I got a few months ago. I haven't gotten any calls, but I'll gladly let them have the DL card if they want it... I already got my miles! Now the Hilton card, OTOH, I want to keep for a while.
I don't really care about the DL miles. They are worthless nowdays anyway. Of course, I learned this after getting the card and putting a few k of legitimate spend on it.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Hmmm. I got the HH Amex (Surpass) a few months ago with a ~7.5k limit and have been turning it over about 2x a month with coins. I usually pre-pay a bit (up to 1k, but no more). I've also been doing exactly 2k/month with my DL Amex (no prepayments, etc) that I got a few months ago. I haven't gotten any calls, but I'll gladly let them have the DL card if they want it... I already got my miles! Now the Hilton card, OTOH, I want to keep for a while.
This is why I have not yet upgraded to Surpass. Right now I have a decent credit line on my HHonors card, and have $8K to go until I've spent $40K on it for the year, thus I can do it in one purchase. I plan to bring it to about $500 short of the $40K mark by December and then convert to surpass and make my final charges mid December.

Last thing I need to happen is upgrade now and then they cut my line down to $2K or something, thus making the final $8K of purchases (and the subsequent years $40K) a real micromanaging PITA.

Also, since I am not going to be at a Hilton until Jan, I want the $75 Annual fee to begin later than now, and likewise the commencement of my year on Diamond to begin closer to that time (My gold upgrade on the regular AMEX seemed to be set to expire a year from the month after I achieved the spend requirement, I assume it will work the same for Diamond).
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=thehawk75;12635041]This is why I have not yet upgraded to Surpass. Right now I have a decent credit line on my HHonors card, and have $8K to go until I've spent $40K on it for the year, thus I can do it in one purchase. I plan to bring it to about $500 short of the $40K mark by December and then convert to surpass and make my final charges mid December.

You can't get the Surpass and keep the regular card as well?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
if I placed an order for some NA coins today, what date would it arrive to me?

(trying to time due to upcoming meeting)
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by AA_CPA
if I placed an order for some NA coins today, what date would it arrive to me?

(trying to time due to upcoming meeting)
Really tough to tell. I had orders from 9/18-9/22 ship in 6-8 days, but an order from 9/16 just shipped Monday 10/12. My orders from 10/9-10/13 are still "on hold". I'd guess in the 5-13 day business range from my past orders, but wouldn't bet on anything.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thehawk75
This is why I have not yet upgraded to Surpass. Right now I have a decent credit line on my HHonors card, and have $8K to go until I've spent $40K on it for the year, thus I can do it in one purchase. I plan to bring it to about $500 short of the $40K mark by December and then convert to surpass and make my final charges mid December.
From my understanding, I don't think you'd need to wait until after the Surpass card upgrade to hit $40K for Diamond status.

I recently requested an upgrade to the Surpass card from the no-fee HHonors Amex. The CSR has promised me that even if I hit $40K on my HHonors Amex before the conversion to the Surpass card takes effect, I will immediately get Diamond status once the conversion is complete. Her manager also confirmed this.

I also had the CSR document this promise in writing.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
Has anybody had success depositing these at a Wells Fargo? There is a Wells Fargo close to where I live and they said they'll take rolled coins - as many as I can bring in. I haven't really done this but just ordered 1k from the mint.
Yes and no. Each branch I go to is different.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:31 pm

C'mon mrpickles

mrpcikles, you gotta talk. Why the sudden end to your infamous run with these coins?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by abcx
Has anybody had success depositing these at a Wells Fargo? There is a Wells Fargo close to where I live and they said they'll take rolled coins - as many as I can bring in. I haven't really done this but just ordered 1k from the mint.
Oops, I meant to reply to this one before and didn't: I opened a WF account on Sunday. Since then, I've made 500, 1000 and 1500 deposits at 3 different stations without issue. I'll up it to 2500/bank every week or two as long as they'll take them
Old Oct 14, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
school has forced me to slow down a lot since school has started back up. i just don't have as much time hauling all these coins to the bank.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson

You can't get the Surpass and keep the regular card as well?
I'm certain you can. However, I want all my accumulated spending for the year on the regular card to count towards the $40K spending required for Diamond status given by the Surpass card. Getting a brand new Surpass card wouldn't help me with that, but, converting the regular card to Surpass would.

In truth, I fail to see why you would want to have both cards.

Originally Posted by tpat
From my understanding, I don't think you'd need to wait until after the Surpass card upgrade to hit $40K for Diamond status.

I recently requested an upgrade to the Surpass card from the no-fee HHonors Amex. The CSR has promised me that even if I hit $40K on my HHonors Amex before the conversion to the Surpass card takes effect, I will immediately get Diamond status once the conversion is complete. Her manager also confirmed this.

I also had the CSR document this promise in writing.
Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind.

Truth is I am uncertain if there really is a need to keep spending after hitting $40K on Surpass, better to concentrate on the myriad other cards I have, given I don't really push more than $20K of coin purchases a month anyway.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by chtrich
mrpcikles, you gotta talk. Why the sudden end to your infamous run with these coins?
I suspect he was told "enough is enough". If you recall, he had previously said that he used 3 or 4 banks to distribute the coins. Then all of a sudden in his last post he was going to deposit over $50K in his credit union and be done with it. Obviously all of a sudden it became too much work.

If, as others have said, he just wanted lifetime plat, he would have not quit all of a sudden.

Since he has such a close relationship with the banks, I suspect that he is aware of where the banks are going with the coin program - and it is not good.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:06 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by deant
I suspect he was told "enough is enough". If you recall, he had previously said that he used 3 or 4 banks to distribute the coins. Then all of a sudden in his last post he was going to deposit over $50K in his credit union and be done with it. Obviously all of a sudden it became too much work.

If, as others have said, he just wanted lifetime plat, he would have not quit all of a sudden.

Since he has such a close relationship with the banks, I suspect that he is aware of where the banks are going with the coin program - and it is not good.
IIRC mrP was using his Chase United CC for miles until the recent comments about using a cashback CC. I think the lifetime plat (AA) might have been speculation by other posters.

I agree that the big banks will in the near future streamline their policies systemwide regarding the $1 coins and it won't be good. We'll probably be allowed to continue to deposit as long as there is some way for them to continue to make money off of being the middle man to the Fed.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
OK I did not quit; I have just cut back

Originally Posted by chtrich
Originally Posted by deant

"enough is enough"

I was not told that enough is enough, but like you suspect I did get some inside information. All of my deposits have been at Chase and it was 4 different branches all located in the same area save for one 18k deposit at my credit union where they told me I can come back with up to 50k per week. I have not been back there since.

Many of you know that Oct 23 is D-Day for Calif WAMU branches to fully transition to Chase. I got a heads up call from my branch manager on Monday who told me there is going to be big changes and the coins are going to be cut for everyone, they will be allowing one last deposit of any quantity. I am making one final deposit for $70k the morning the armoured truck comes. They are going to unlock the doors at 8am and we are going in the back office and doing a rush bagging of the coins $2k per bag 35 bags are all going to be filled out in advance. The branch staff are very upset because they enjoyed doing the coin thing with me.

I am going to buy 3 pizzas and soda for lunch for them next week.

Although I was using Chase as a clearing house and keep about 50k working coin capital in the account the bulk of my purchases were on AAdvantage earning instuments; AA Platinum Select MC, AA Business MC, Citi Diners Club MC, SPG Amex, and SPG Business Amex.

I made one $10k purchase on a Fidelity 2% cash back, so the speculation of making $80k a year in cash back rewards made by another FT'r was just that: pure speculation. I don't think this is reliable source of income, the miles are more valuable to me for longhaul BC or FC upgrades or CX/FX tix and last minute bookings. I have rarely paid for a ticket since 1995 and other than doing the DEQM this year on UA all of my travel that is paid has been company related. All of my personal travel since 1990 has been on miles or 2 for ones where the other person paid for the ticket.

he just wanted lifetime plat, he would have not quit all of a sudden

I am working toward my 2MM Platinum AA and hope to hit it by mid/end Nov. You are right, it was not just about Lifetime Platinum, it was always about the "total miles", Lifetime Platinum is just a milestone. I could have hit it already but I have held off on transfering points from SPG to AA. I am still earing my 50k/ea a month AAmiles from BankDirect and Guaranty Bank for checking account deposits. Since I handle the payroll at my office I was able to create a $100/month direct deposit to meet their requirements.

UAL is my airline of choice but as you all know they only count bis miles and not all miles earned so this was wa quick way to ramp up my AAdvantage account miles. I have segregated my Chase UAL MP Visa credit card to use for business purchases while using the others for coins and am able to churn about 100k/month that way. Thank goodnes 1K's are exempted from the 100k mile cap.

I initially ordered about $50k in coins on my Chase MP Visa and was making either deposits or cc payments at the branch then switched over to the cards with the ability to earn AA miles. I had already just hit 1MM on AA by using it to pay business bills when I started the coin thing.

The nearest branch of my credit union is 30 miles away and their main branch is about 45 miles away and is in the hood so I need to decide what is easier and I think opening checking and savings accounts online is a little less time consuming. I agree with those of you who have stated that it is not cool to dump 50k a week at a non-profit credit union, but they did invite me to do so. Still I have not been back, but if I do go I will probably keep it to about 18k (4 of my consolidated $4500 boxes see thread 5108). The only reason I went there in the first place is that I was driving around for about a week with 18k in the back of my Prius and pulled into the credit union to get a 20 and thought maybe I can dump the extra weight and get better mileage at the same time. I never did remember to get the 20.

With the help of another forum member who located another large national commercial bank that is willing to accept coins with no fees. They are a large bank but have few branches in the area. I will open an account there on Monday and test the waters. I was direct with them and they confirmed there are no fees for the truck, per roll, or per dollar amount. I plan on starting them of with an agreed amount of 6k per week. The balance of what I order I can drop at the credit union.

In summary one bank (Chase) will be changing policy soon, I don't want to get stuck with a ton of coins, I have two other outlets but gonna take it easy for a while.

For the newbies wanting to get into this I would agree with those of you who are starting off with small quantaties below $2k. I will continue to post photos and updates as I have more info.

Maybe once I hit 2MM I will get a second wind and go for 3MM! Everyone keeps asking me where am I gonna go with all of, any suggestions? (keep it clean). I am thinking South Africa, Mauritius, or Tahiti.

So when I say I have quit, I should rephrase that to I have cut back to keep my sanity.

And to clarify I never felt that this was a contest to outdo another FT's volume of coins, I just saw it as a chalenge to deposit as many as I can with as few trips to the bank as necessary.

close relationship with the banks
Yes this is very important to do this coin gig, but more so in life and business. You must know who you bank manager is, the operations manager (vault teller) and if you are a high deposit customer you can be assigned a private banker. Life can be hard and long but a good relationship with these people will see you through the good and bad times financially. I go to baseball games with my personal banker, they call me and tell me about deals and offers and they can make business and life go a lot smoother. I have been fortunate and my personal banker taught me about the value of credit scores, low interest rates, paying off credit cards and not carrying a balance. Without his advise I could have never taken this coin gig as far as I have.

Last edited by mrpickles; Oct 14, 2009 at 9:39 pm Reason: additional information
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Go to Bali. Its my favorite island.

I'm just starting this coin game and using my SPG card. I would rather sit on hotel points then air miles. My thinking is 7000 hotel points for a free nigh vs 25000 for a free airline ticket is way better value.

I might mix it up a little bit, will see. Is this coin program coming to end? I was planing on cashing 10k-20k a month.

When you walk into the bank do you use a dolly?

I'm a little nervous since the other boards are posting issues with local authorities and banks closing accounts abruptly. Oh well, this deal only comes once in a life time.

Last edited by nwa330; Oct 14, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.