Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Most of these people can't wrap their brains around this deal...which is a good thing. Heck, even the writer calls them $1 gold coins.
Even worse, one poster thinks they are MADE of gold, and not just gold-colored:
Because when I'm done admiring my coinage, I can sell it to Cash4Gold or Good Ol' Tom.
I hear gold prices are the highest they've been in 20 years!
I'm about to make a whole lot of money.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
I second this. Most people are just too damn dumb lazy to do this correctly. And credit cards are going to LOVE charging 29% interest when these people forget they have to pay the FULL bill on-time.
Ditto - I wouldn't feel too sorry for the credit card companies getting "taken" for points, miles or rewards.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by drumdrum
I have typed up an outline of this program and the ways it is being abused and forwarded it to over 70 different news sources. If it gets picked up by just one I will be happy.
Looks like two, but not quite mainstream media. They're not sites I would check like the New York Times or AP wire. No others interested?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM, SPG Platinum
Do these articles worry anyone? I worry only because one article said they called the mint and the mint had no idea this was happening...

Have articles come out in the past about this?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jdivenere
Do these articles worry anyone? I worry only because one article said they called the mint and the mint had no idea this was happening...

Have articles come out in the past about this?
Don't think anyone has mentioned articles before. This may be the beginning of the end.

Just because they called the mint does not mean that they reached anyone that will investigate and do anything.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deant
Just because they called the mint does not mean that they reached anyone that will investigate and do anything.
The PR response is very much "we don't know, want to know, or care"--\
"We don't really ask about why you're buying a coin from us," she explained. "People are free to do with their coins what they wish."
The Mint is forced to produce these coins. By selling them, they no longer have to figure out how to store them. Shipping and CC fees are probably less than storage costs.

Viewed at a macro level, the program is indeed stupid, but that stupidity derives from the US Congress.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by soitgoes
The PR response is very much "we don't know, want to know, or care"--\

The Mint is forced to produce these coins. By selling them, they no longer have to figure out how to store them. Shipping and CC fees are probably less than storage costs.

Viewed at a macro level, the program is indeed stupid, but that stupidity derives from the US Congress.
The problem is that the more "publicity" there is the more chance the GAO or some of the watch dog sites will pay attention to the information. Posting pictures and ways to buy tens of thousands of dollars a week of coins will get someone interested. And it is not whom you want interested.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Yawn....
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
HAHA
Just the beginning..........
Yes your right Ha Ha! I leave next Wednesday on a 2 week trip to Tahiti. First class airline tickets and over the water bungalows on Moorea and Bora Bora at no cost to me, because of the coin programs at the US Mint.

This program has stood up to the scrutiny of credit card companies and the mint itself for sometime. Also, it has been reported in the media long before you became invoved. (June 18, 2008) Just because your disgruntled, the program will not end. It will end when the US Mint decides to end it.

Cheers!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by ejs621
HAHA
Just the beginning..........
Yes your right Ha Ha! I leave next Wednesday on a 2 week trip to Tahiti. First class airline tickets and over the water bungalows on Moorea and Bora Bora at no cost to me, because of the coin programs at the US Mint.

This program has stood up to the scrutiny of credit card companies and the mint itself for sometime. Also, it has been reported in the media long before you became invoved. (June 18, 2008) Just because your disgruntled, the program will not end. It will end when the US Mint decides to end it.

Cheers!
That's awesome. Have a fun trip!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by pawtim
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

That's awesome. Have a fun trip!
+1

Originally Posted by ejs621
Please tell me those aren't ICs and you didn't use your Priority Club visa to buy coins from the mint. With that tiny 1PC pt/$1 that would be doing in the extremely hard way.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:33 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by deant
The problem is that the more "publicity" there is the more chance the GAO or some of the watch dog sites will pay attention to the information. Posting pictures and ways to buy tens of thousands of dollars a week of coins will get someone interested. And it is not whom you want interested.
The US has a budget deficit of 1.4 Trillion dollars. I would think that the amount we do here is minor in comparison-with the possible exception of the amount Mr. Pickles does.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
+1

Please tell me those aren't ICs and you didn't use your Priority Club visa to buy coins from the mint. With that tiny 1PC pt/$1 that would be doing in the extremely hard way.
Nope, Citibank and Amex!
I am sure you can figure out what airline and hotel chain.

Cheers!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:36 pm

Has anyone bought money orders from the USPS with these yet, just wondering how it went.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That MainStreet article is pathetic. Here's the paragraph Consumerist quoted:

Net result? If you bought $1,000 in coins on your card and then immediately paid it all off, assuming you have 2% cash back, this means you just made $20 or more for only a few minutes of effort. In addition to that, you might also have accrued 1,000 points or air miles. The Mint gets its new coins in circulation, and you get a sweet reward -- everyone wins, except the credit card company (that's a change, isn't it).
Credit card companies? They win - that's been discussed here plenty.

$20 for a few minutes of effort? Takes a bit longer.

ALSO getting points or air miles? Show me the card with a 2% reward AND miles or points.

Here's the full article link:

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/sm...am-scam?page=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.