Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Aug 21, 08, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Me thinks its very Dumb of The Mint not to ship them with Signature Receipt being needed or Registered

after all if the postman simply leaves them by 1s door, (not knowing whats inside) whats to stop a person from Claiming they never got them, either to The Mint or their CC and get a refund. Some have 8 boxes coming at 1 time or more thats $2000-3000

gpapadop, Im not saying you did the above only when I read your post, my mind thought of what someone might do. Im not into that Game just Pts & Miles for me. Playing with The Mint probably means the Feds in 1 way or another and NOT worth it for $2000. if Im gonna rob a Bank I want it to be worthwhile and for $2000 or so its not worthwhile
Yeah, I'm going around collecting addresses of all the FT members in this thread and dressing like a postman and...

I'm kidding.

But what I do think that the US Mint of all places ought to be as "security-minded" as the TSA! I mean, this just proves that whenever you call into say, some customer service center about some account you may hold, and they ask you things 'for security reasons,' it is just for THEIR security, not yours. They don't give a rats ...! And here, with anything between $500-$3,000 worth of coins sitting on one's doorstep for the world to see is a pure example of that.

I wouldnt be surprised if people roam the streets trying to check out what's out there and snag it. I mean just the other day I got my gas grille tank filled and had left it by the filling station when the store clerk went inside and I had too because I realized I also needed something else in the store... Anyway another clerk scolded me saying to NEVER leave the tanks outside because people actually drive by, look at the store, come into the lot and snag them when that very moment presents itself!

I think it sucks that gpapadop had this happen and cannot feel confident in playing the game here. I hope it does not happen to anyone else.

I do recall learning long ago that generally, the cops, at least, rarely investigate too heavily on things lost that are below $2,000.

But it's still money to you and me!
In fact, as we speak, I have 2 orders that say they shipped and I just found this post to be sure to track them:

Aug 2, 08, 9:29 am #372
Flyer737

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
My tracking number has twenty digits (all numerals) followed by the words "Parcel Post" (all capitalized).

Neither of these websites accept my number. Any ideas where else this might work?

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/index.jsp

https://interactive1.dhl.com/TrackRe...ller/anontrack

In my experience, the US Postal service tracking site usually does not work until several days after the item has shipped, which is sometimes after the item is delivered. Even on priority mail packages.

Last edited by Marathon Man; Aug 21, 08 at 4:06 am
Old Aug 21, 08, 9:24 am

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
I just called The US Mint and was told that I could order upto $500 of EACH president at face value. The representative also offered to mail my coins under registered mail so that if I'm not home I can pick them up at the post office. Has anyone else ordered by phone?
For those of you that are nervous about trying this, you might try calling and requesting that the coins be shipped by registered mail per the above post.

Oooh, I want my SPG Amex to get here so I can order these again before they're gone!

-kirax2
Old Aug 21, 08, 10:40 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by cda322 View Post
All but JQA appear to be in stock.
Thanks
That is correct. The Andrew Jackson coins (number 7 in the series) initially went from "in stock" to "unavailable" very quickly. But as of this morning they were available again and I was able to get 500 miles closer to my DL Amex miles boost.
Old Aug 21, 08, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
today I received my $500 order that said it shipped 8/19. The sparsly marked box was on my doorstep and the US mail has not yet come and it says DHL on the package. These are Thomas Jefferson coins.

I expect a $1,000 order I also received an email about saying it shipped on 8/19 to come tomorrow or something.
Old Aug 21, 08, 11:56 am

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
I found that at the DHL site you can set up a "notification" to be sent to you to let you know when there is a status change on your shipment. I set up all my expected shipments to email me when they are "Out For Delivery" and "Delivered". We'll see if it works. My orders all seem to have been shipped via DHL, with 12 digit tracking numbers beginning with "H895". You can also set it to text message you. This is a free service.

-kirax2
Old Aug 21, 08, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cda322 View Post
All but JQA appear to be in stock.
Thanks

Looks like the JQA are back in stock..........
Old Aug 21, 08, 3:08 pm

Wirelessly posted (BB8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

Originally Posted by kirax2
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
I just called The US Mint and was told that I could order upto $500 of EACH president at face value. The representative also offered to mail my coins under registered mail so that if I'm not home I can pick them up at the post office. Has anyone else ordered by phone?
For those of you that are nervous about trying this, you might try calling and requesting that the coins be shipped by registered mail per the above post.

Oooh, I want my SPG Amex to get here so I can order these again before they're gone!

-kirax2
But don't they charge extra for delivery via registered mail? If so, that would cut into the profit margin on this.
Old Aug 21, 08, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Pt, AS 75k, HH Dia
Originally Posted by miller4isu View Post
Looks like the JQA are back in stock..........
It seemed like it from the website, but when I tried to order, says still out of stock... I placed the order anyway, doesn't show up on my subtotal-- its not clear if they'll ship it when it becomes available or not.
Old Aug 21, 08, 4:05 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
3 of 5 Apartment #1 Coins cancelled

Katy ordered 5 last night and we got notice that 3 were cancelled due to

Order Limit?

Different last name. Same address but: Apt #1??

Oh well
Old Aug 21, 08, 4:10 pm

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
If a real business were run like this mess....they would be out of business quite soon......probably one of the reasons for the value of the dollar, our deficit, the condition of social security....and a lot of other things no one wants to think about.
Old Aug 21, 08, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
I had mine shipped to my work address....straight to my cubicle and I sign for it.
Old Aug 21, 08, 4:34 pm
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
Marathon and others who received their coins this week, when did you buy them? I'm anxiously awaiting my next delivery.
Old Aug 21, 08, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I got part of my first shipment today (ordered last Monday) which was a bit confusing. I only got $500 of coins! I checked the slip that came with the box and it tallied so nothing went MIA in the mail. I went online to see my order and all four presidents were shipped on the same day so I called the Mint and they said my order had been split into two parts.

As for the coins they are a bit disappointing IMO. Rather small and not weighty enough. If I didn't know better I'd guess they were tokens from a funfair! I feel I'd even have trouble using them out! If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known about the existence of the things so I suspect many of the public wouldn't know either...
Old Aug 22, 08, 5:25 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: DL DM/2MM, AA EXP/2MM, UA GD/1MM, AS MVPG75k, LH SEN, IC RA, FRMT LT PLT, HYT GLOB, HLT DIA, HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by mrx900 View Post
I had mine shipped to my work address....straight to my cubicle and I sign for it.
No signature will be required. My last order was left at the top of my steps in fromt of my house on a busy street in SF. Needless to say, I was shocked that the USPS would leave $1,000 cash on my front steps!
Old Aug 22, 08, 6:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by leroix View Post
It seemed like it from the website, but when I tried to order, says still out of stock... I placed the order anyway, doesn't show up on my subtotal-- its not clear if they'll ship it when it becomes available or not.
I placed an order for 2 boxes yesterday (my second order of 2 boxes - I already received my first 2 boxes of JQA), and my order status shows "1 unit reserved, 1 unit unavailable".

It looks like they are out of stock again..............

Search this Thread
Search Engine: