Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Limit is now 99 boxes of NA's => $24,750 max per order.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by kshahk
In my area most banks are refusing to accept $1 coins now. I don't even more than 1.5k to 2k at a time. I have been told by several branches of different banks this is the last time. Please do not bring more.

It was great while it lasted, but I guess this is the end now.
What county in NJ are you in?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by werdna
Hopefully nowhere in Central (that's where I am)...
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mikeef
This whole thread reminds me something from The Amazing Race (cue Phil Keoghan):

[I]"Detour: Pack It or Count It.
That was HILARIOUS, particularly given my exploits at a few banks immediately prior to my reading it.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:51 pm

It doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. Do your thing, don't worry, be happy. Please report back to us with your experience, werdna.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kohoutek
It doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. Do your thing, don't worry, be happy. Please report back to us with your experience, werdna.
Mr. or Mrs. Kohoutek... why don't you report your experience?! From what I've seen, your participation in this thread has only started recently and consisted mostly of asking people to report on their experience. Why?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by AA_CPA
Actually, I've spoken to a number of businesses, and they said they'd take coins and trade me paper money...

I checked the FT sticky though, and it says 5k limit for NA....
It's actually unlimited. That part of the FAQ is out of date.

Mike
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:01 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Conversation with a Chase manager

I had an interesting conversation with a Chase manager this morning.

I am not as aggressive as some and limit my deposits to 5 boxes ($1250). I have accounts at multiple banks and deposit only once a month at any given branch. This morning while making a deposit at a Chase branch, formerly WAMU, the manager came to the teller station and noted that I was doing it again. He proceeded to say that I would probably be charged for the deposit. I asked him to please explain and he said he had received a memo saying there would be a charge for excessive coin deposits. I asked him if this was to be a new policy or if it would be enforced on the deposit I was making. He said he did not know, but that I may receive a letter. He was not questioning or criticizing what I was doing but was very matter of fact. If a charge is instituted it will be interesting to see the terms, such as what is excessive.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold, OneWorld
I am in Hudson County and My experience has been similar in north NJ and in Manhattan.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:26 pm

Risky Bidness

Look, here's what I have to say. Scope out your banks, ask questions about your future coin deposit activity, don't push the envelope, and don't screw up your banking relationships. Get the bankers on your side.

There is no need to be in the race with the one, the only, mrpickles.

There's no shame in being the little guy. ^

Pick your spots on what you what to accomplish with miles/points/status, and be satisfied with achieving your goals. If you must feel gloating about your success, we're here to listen.

Last edited by Kohoutek; Oct 7, 2009 at 3:36 pm Reason: minor correction
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Limit is now 99 boxes of NA's => $24,750 max per order.
That been the case since July, and you can place as many 99 orders that you want per day.

In addition you can buy $200 egift certifcates and use one per order to push the 20 x $200 to your credit card faster than the ship date of the coins. Use one cert per order and put the balance on your cc.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by Kohoutek
Wow! All I can say is: WOW! You may be the new mrpickles, if you keep this up!

Thanks for sharing! Dang, I'm jealous! I'm sweating over tiny coin deposits (roll-eyes) (big grin).
I doubt anyone will pass my deposits. I even went to my office's bank and got them to change $2750 for cash notes today and I don't even have a personal account there. She said no problem because we were her highest business depositing customer in the area the would do anything to help me out. Not gonna push it, will only use them to dump small left over amounts.

Last edited by mrpickles; Oct 7, 2009 at 4:46 pm
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:14 pm

I never deposit more than $1000 at a time and I've never had a problem. As a matter of fact, just this past week I've deposited over $11K. I have accounts at three different banks and I keep the deposits between about 30 different branches. Sure I get a grumpy teller every once in a while but so far so good. ^
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by ned
I had an interesting conversation with a Chase manager this morning.

I am not as aggressive as some and limit my deposits to 5 boxes ($1250). I have accounts at multiple banks and deposit only once a month at any given branch. This morning while making a deposit at a Chase branch, formerly WAMU, the manager came to the teller station and noted that I was doing it again. He proceeded to say that I would probably be charged for the deposit. I asked him to please explain and he said he had received a memo saying there would be a charge for excessive coin deposits. I asked him if this was to be a new policy or if it would be enforced on the deposit I was making. He said he did not know, but that I may receive a letter. He was not questioning or criticizing what I was doing but was very matter of fact. If a charge is instituted it will be interesting to see the terms, such as what is excessive.
I had a similar run-in with a teller at a Chase branch in Chicago. I had 4 boxes and wanted to get them all deposited. No dice. I'm going to split it in half and hit 2 different branches. Stinks that I have to do this slowly.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by mrpickles
I doubt anyone will pass my deposits.
"Pride goeth before the fall" anyone?
And you would probably be very surprised mrpick. Unlike yourself, there are many of us out here who go about our miles-collecting business quietly and prefer not to stir up a bunch of attention which, as we all know, usually only harms everyone eventually. Our mottos are "Speak softly (or better yet, not at all) and carry a huge loads of coins."
But that's obviously pretty difficult for many around here, often to the detriment of the rest of us. Darn it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.