Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Aug 18, 08, 11:49 pm
  #466  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gotham City
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 2,027
as a new Amex Gold cardmember, this is an easy way to build up my spending pattern with them, too!
sammy0623 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 4:06 am
  #467  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Posts: 10,847
Through e-mail correspondence with American Express, I learned that authorizations that do not actually get used and charged against one's account nevertheless reduce one's credit limit for 14 days unless the merchant lets AmEx know to cancel (or reduce) the authorization.

My wife's $2000 order -- placed first -- just shipped today, seven days after ordering and three days later than four family members whose $1000 reduced orders had their line items for Madison and Monroe coins cancelled. All were different credit cards to the same P.O. Box address. (There is no street delivery to this part of the United States.)
SPN Lifer is online now  
Old Aug 19, 08, 4:52 am
  #468  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,039
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
If my order from 11 Aug were in route, I would be ordering other presidents - I didn't order all that were available at once, so now I just want some to be en route (rather than ordering some more now and having multiple orders canceled).
08/18/08 Us Mint Coin Sales-dr 800-872-6468 Dc $500.00

The above is a line item on my online CC statement from just this morning. If this is to be consistent with my last order received, the date shown of the charge is one day prior to when the coins will show up, meaning today I should have the box of $500.

If you see this type of line item charge, you know your order is going to be at your home soon.

If not, then yeah, I guess one would want to wait. I hope your aug 11 order is coming. SPG or other AMEX points are good to get and this is a great way to get them!

MM
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 6:46 am
  #469  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Coppell, Texas
Posts: 1,014
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
08/18/08 Us Mint Coin Sales-dr 800-872-6468 Dc $500.00

The above is a line item on my online CC statement from just this morning. If this is to be consistent with my last order received, the date shown of the charge is one day prior to when the coins will show up, meaning today I should have the box of $500.

If you see this type of line item charge, you know your order is going to be at your home soon.

If not, then yeah, I guess one would want to wait. I hope your aug 11 order is coming. SPG or other AMEX points are good to get and this is a great way to get them!

MM
milesrus is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 6:52 am
  #470  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Coppell, Texas
Posts: 1,014
I hope most people are actually using them and not depositing them. A Dollar bill cost 5 cents to produce and last 2 years, a dollar coin cost 20 cents and lasts over 20 years. You are helping your country by putting them into circulation. I used mine last for tipping on vacation. It is so much easier pulling them out of a pocket then digging into your wallet. All the rental car buses, maids, bell hops it was awesome. I use them at home to pay for childrens school lunches, all the kids selling school door to door raffle tickets etc. The spirit of the US Mint is not to purchase them and run them down to your local bank, as that doesn't help anybody.
milesrus is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 6:57 am
  #471  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,329
Originally Posted by milesrus View Post
I hope most people are actually using them and not depositing them. A Dollar bill cost 5 cents to produce and last 2 years, a dollar coin cost 20 cents and lasts over 20 years. You are helping your country by putting them into circulation. I used mine last for tipping on vacation. It is so much easier pulling them out of a pocket then digging into your wallet. All the rental car buses, maids, bell hops it was awesome. I use them at home to pay for childrens school lunches, all the kids selling school door to door raffle tickets etc. The spirit of the US Mint is not to purchase them and run them down to your local bank, as that doesn't help anybody.
Lets see people have just purchased $2500 worth of theses things and dont mind paying for them and using them up over the next 1/2 yr or so.

Im sure this thing is all over FatWallet and SlickD like those people didnt get to their bank before they were delivered
craz is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 7:01 am
  #472  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rural TN (but WAS native)
Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Posts: 23,817
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
08/18/08 Us Mint Coin Sales-dr 800-872-6468 Dc $500.00

The above is a line item on my online CC statement from just this morning. If this is to be consistent with my last order received, the date shown of the charge is one day prior to when the coins will show up, meaning today I should have the box of $500.
Oh - I've been tracking directly on the Mint's website. As soon as Madison and Monroe are in transit, I will order some more presidents.
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 7:58 am
  #473  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,039
Well, on an earlier hunch, I had my wife go into her mastercard online and change the address to have "Apt 1" in it. As well, she happens to have a hyphenated last name, but in the case of this particular credit card, they just melded the two together, so her full last name is a long one starting with a different one than mine. AND technically, nnow her home/card and ordering address IS different than when I made my coin orders.

Lastly, we live in a town that sometimes goes by "south [townname]" instead of the townname alone. On my card it's the one without "south." In hers it now has it.

We could have tried each variable differently, but we figured to just wing it and go for the following charge to see if it works anyway. I would im,agine the south may not matter seeing as how it probably goes by zip code, but the apartment 1 tyhing should work and we shall see!--I've pasted this in from her order made just moments ago and I'll letcha all know what happened:

Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - James Madison (Y04)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock

Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - Thomas Jefferson (Y03)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock

Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - John Adams (Y02)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock

Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - George Washington (Y06)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock

Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - James Monroe (Y05)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock

Subtotal (w/o Shipping & Handling) $2,500.00

Shipping & Handling (includes any Gift Box charges) $0.00

Total Order $2,500.00
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 4:51 pm
  #474  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,039
we primarily do this gig for miles. Sure there's a chance I could keep a coin or three for novelty purposes, but mostly this is a legal and fairly easy mileage churn with little cost to the user.

That said, I have another update on my test from above post:

Citicard called my wife, left a voicemail saying they thought they saw possible fraudulent activity on the acct today. She hardly uses this MC sicne she primarily uses her AMEX and the card had a $0 bal on it but suddenly jumps to $2,500 in one whack all to the US MINT. Yeah, I could see why they called. Anyway she was going to call back--and still might--but we also realized she doesnt really need miles on that acct right now and would rather SPG ones. So I think we may actually let the charge go and have her try the test again with her AMEX>

more to come later.
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 5:12 pm
  #475  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,329
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
we primarily do this gig for miles. Sure there's a chance I could keep a coin or three for novelty purposes, but mostly this is a legal and fairly easy mileage churn with little cost to the user.

That said, I have another update on my test from above post:

Citicard called my wife, left a voicemail saying they thought they saw possible fraudulent activity on the acct today. She hardly uses this MC sicne she primarily uses her AMEX and the card had a $0 bal on it but suddenly jumps to $2,500 in one whack all to the US MINT. Yeah, I could see why they called. Anyway she was going to call back--and still might--but we also realized she doesnt really need miles on that acct right now and would rather SPG ones. So I think we may actually let the charge go and have her try the test again with her AMEX>

more to come later.
My orders have been "In process" for a week. Based on your post I rechecked and seems the 1st 2 placed last week for 4 coins are being shipped today. The last 2 ordered Jackson & Washington is "In process" yet the site says Jackson is N/A, wonder if they will ship washington or hold it back? also I wonder if Jackson was set aside when I ordered? Time will tell

BTW SPG is much better to use as 20k = 25k in miles in most programs. But its a much better value using it towards Hotel stays then Airline Miles, especially as more and more Carriers are reducing the # of Standard Awards and charging all types of Fees for the so called Free Tkts
craz is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 6:21 pm
  #476  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rural TN (but WAS native)
Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Posts: 23,817
Originally Posted by craz View Post
BTW SPG is much better to use as 20k = 25k in miles in most programs.
Actually, one might consider the "Miles Boosts" on the DL AmEx.
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 6:43 pm
  #477  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rural TN (but WAS native)
Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Posts: 23,817
Just confirmed that my order of 11 August shipped - now to order some more dead presidents . . .
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 7:30 pm
  #478  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,039
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
Just confirmed that my order of 11 August shipped - now to order some more dead presidents . . .
same conf. here! Got the following email in reference to my above post 473:

We shipped the items listed below today.
Thank you for shopping at the United States Mint Online
Catalog; we hope you'll visit again soon.
Track your order at http://catalog.usmint.gov
Questions about returns or cancellations?
Please visit http://catalog.usmint.gov
Thanks again for shopping with the U.S. Mint.
Electronic gift certificates are now available!

Order #: 2XXXXXXXXXXX - 1 Order Date: 8/11/08

Sold To: ME

Ship To: ME

Date Shipped: 8/19/08

Amount Charged : 500.00

Tracking ID

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Items included in this shipment:


1. JOHN ADAMS $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y02) Qty : 2


This is a system generated e-mail. Please do not reply.
If you have questions, please visit the Help page at
http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT.
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 7:31 pm
  #479  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston, MA (BOS)
Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Posts: 5,559
I just called The US Mint and was told that I could order upto $500 of EACH president at face value. The representative also offered to mail my coins under registered mail so that if I'm not home I can pick them up at the post office. Has anyone else ordered by phone?
AAerSTL is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 7:41 pm
  #480  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,039
Originally Posted by craz View Post
My orders have been "In process" for a week. Based on your post I rechecked and seems the 1st 2 placed last week for 4 coins are being shipped today. The last 2 ordered Jackson & Washington is "In process" yet the site says Jackson is N/A, wonder if they will ship washington or hold it back? also I wonder if Jackson was set aside when I ordered? Time will tell

BTW SPG is much better to use as 20k = 25k in miles in most programs. But its a much better value using it towards Hotel stays then Airline Miles, especially as more and more Carriers are reducing the # of Standard Awards and charging all types of Fees for the so called Free Tkts

yes, thanx, am award of the 25-20 thing and that's why she primarily uses the amex. She could not find it today though. hahaha.
so we used the rarely used MC. Maybe the godz are smiling though by calling about the fraud alert... we (A) dont need miles in that acct now and (B) just found her AMEX and placed yet another order using that! Turns out on that card, her address says "#1" after the street already!

And on that card, she has just the last half of her last name, so it's the same as mine. Now the only variable will be the #1 and whether that works or not using her amex.

I would suspect that if a credit card holds or cancels an order of something you buy, the US MINT, who processed the charge, would cancel your next one til those records clear in some system, meaning her MC would probably not be usuable for these had we not called in to fix the fraud alert and/or did NOT let the charges go thru by calling citi. We called in and everything was automated. Once we verified she did in fact make today's $2,500 charge to what Citi called "Misc Government Services" the system thanked us and will let the charge go thru.

Now, my wife has a $2,500 test being processed on our address with "Apt 1" and a new $500 test on an Amex with our address + "#1" and we hope to get em all plus my pending orders too!

of course, I just realized on her printout of her AMEX order she left out her middle initial that's on the card. Oop! Well, in the Mint ordering fields, that one does NOT have a * next to it so maybe it does not matter? Oh well.

Last edited by Marathon Man; Aug 19, 08 at 7:52 pm
Marathon Man is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: