Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Aug 14, 08, 10:57 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by kirax2 View Post
Well, I spoke too soon. It looks like the line really has been canceled.

Here's what is showing up on my accounts:

Mine, ordered first (very early, almost as soon as they went on sale):
2 rolls each of Monroe, Madison, Jefferson, and Adams, all listed as in stock and reserved.

My husband's, ordered next on the same day:
2 rolls each of Jefferson and Adams, in stock and reserved
2 rolls each of Monroe and Madison - "line was canceled"
Attempted to reorder Monroe and Madison the following day. This order, too, was canceled with the same message.

My daughter's account: same situation as my husband's.

Maybe they ran out out Monroe and Madison? But if that's the case, I don't know why they still have them available on their site. Perhaps they are canceling them because the orders have the same shipping addresses, but if that's the case, why not cancel the whole order, and not just part of it?

-kirax2
Your experience is consistent with my experience with the JQA coins in June/July and the principle that they're enforcing a limit of $500 per president per billing address. I initially ordered $500 of JQA in June on one credit card and then got a new credit card that required $500 in purchases to get a miles bonus. So I tried a second order of $500 JQA on the new card a few days after the first order. Result: The second order was canceled but the first one remained in place and was ultimately delivered.

Also consistent with this interpretation is that, as far as I can tell from the posts above, no one who has ordered $500 or less per president per billing address has reported having their orders canceled. Although many (my latest $2000 included) are "on hold" right now, whatever that means.
Old Aug 14, 08, 12:07 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
I'm sure you're probably right. It just seems weird that they would cancel part of the order but not the entire order - so far only Monroe/Madison have been canceled but not the JA or TJ portions of the orders. Perhaps they will be yet, though.

I'm debating ordering some with my work address, but I'm a little nervous about doing that, somehow. Wish I had more addresses I could use.

Thanks for your input.

-kirax2
Old Aug 14, 08, 1:05 pm

I placed an order yesterday and got this email today :

Greetings from the United States Mint.
The following order has been cancelled either at your
request or because we were unable to process it. We invite
you to resubmit the order via our website at
http://www.usmint.gov and click on Product Catalog.

I guess I could try giving it one more shot?
Old Aug 15, 08, 12:20 am

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
George Washington now available!

George Washington is also now available for purchase.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...dentifier=8100

-kirax2
Old Aug 15, 08, 6:05 am
ghw

Programs: HH gold, Hyatt diamond, priority club plat, Delta Gold, Marriott silver
were any of you concerned with the security of having 2K of coins just placed in your mailbox? Anyone been charged for coins not delivered? or lost in the mail?

I am on the fencs as to wether I want the risk of the charge coming through but the coins lost...
Old Aug 15, 08, 9:30 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by kirax2 View Post
George Washington is also now available for purchase.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...dentifier=8100

-kirax2
Thanks for the heads-up. In for $500 more.
Old Aug 15, 08, 9:39 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
I made my order almost a week ago and they still show on the US Mint page as "in process" with no other details. No shipment tracking information leads me to believe the order has not shipped.

Also, the $2,000 has been authorized on my credit card but has not posted as a completed transaction. In effect, my credit limit is in limbo as an authorized but not posted transaction sits there. While this is only a small portion of my credit limit, it's annoying.

Why doesn't the mint either complete their transaction with me or cancel the order. It's been a week and I'm stuck in limbo.

Old Aug 15, 08, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Dole View Post
I made my order almost a week ago and they still show on the US Mint page as "in process" with no other details. No shipment tracking information leads me to believe the order has not shipped.

Also, the $2,000 has been authorized on my credit card but has not posted as a completed transaction. In effect, my credit limit is in limbo as an authorized but not posted transaction sits there. While this is only a small portion of my credit limit, it's annoying.

Why doesn't the mint either complete their transaction with me or cancel the order. It's been a week and I'm stuck in limbo.

In addition for a Visa, if you don't settle on an authorized transaction within ~6 days it will cost them a lot more. Have to love the government!
Old Aug 15, 08, 10:09 am

Andrew Jackson is now up also
Old Aug 15, 08, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by ghw View Post
were any of you concerned with the security of having 2K of coins just placed in your mailbox?
A little, but through the DHL and USPS tracking numbers, I took a late lunch on the day I knew they would arrive.
Old Aug 15, 08, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnDunn View Post
In addition for a Visa, if you don't settle on an authorized transaction within ~6 days it will cost them a lot more. Have to love the government!
Actually, merchants who are shipping products routinely authorize at the time of order placement but do not charge until shipment. This is an accepted (often required) practice of merchant processors.
Old Aug 15, 08, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
Actually, merchants who are shipping products routinely authorize at the time of order placement but do not charge until shipment. This is an accepted (often required) practice of merchant processors.
Yes, those are the rules but if you settle outside of a certain window the merchant is charged more on that transaction
Old Aug 15, 08, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1P DL GM HH PP
Update from previous post:
My orders for each family member were cancelled by the Mint yesterday. I called processing for an explanation and was told orders are limited to one billing address. I am OK with that if the Mint would only say so in the Ts&Cs. Instead, the public must rely on informal networks like FT to get the word. I recommended to the Mint's CSA she provide a feedback report to their IT/web services folks to update the site and specifically state the only one billing address condition in the more info section on the coin's order page. Any bets on if it will occur?
Old Aug 15, 08, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Washington and Jackson have been ordered

Thanks for the heads up^
Old Aug 15, 08, 1:08 pm

Big thanks guys! I'm in for Washington and Jackson as well ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: